Deep Purple - Highway Star / Lazy (Made in Japan)

TSNBDSC

I never knew there was footage of that show. I contend that Made In Japan is probably the best live performance/recording of any rock or pop artist, ever (and that's not meant to take anything from all the truly brilliant live efforts by others).  But, I'm also extremely biased, seeing how I've been a Purple/Rainbow/Blackmore fan for decades.

Great find - thanks for posting!

:beer:

20 hours ago, Rico said:

Thanks! Absolute best song to play when you have to drive somewhere in a hurry.

Highway Star is great, but it's been scientifically demonstrated that one cannot drive at or below the speed limit while listening to this:

22 hours ago, Azalin said:

I never knew there was footage of that show. I contend that Made In Japan is probably the best live performance/recording of any rock or pop artist, ever (and that's not meant to take anything from all the truly brilliant live efforts by others).  But, I'm also extremely biased, seeing how I've been a Purple/Rainbow/Blackmore fan for decades.

I've been watching it on youtube for 1,000 years now....

On 1/1/2018 at 11:26 AM, Azalin said:

Yup I found this a few years ago.  YouTube is an amazing place when it comes to live music. So much was filmed back then.  

On 1/2/2018 at 7:01 AM, Billsfansinceday1 said:

Ian Gillan has a great voice and I have always been impressed with his vocals in Jesus Christ Superstar.  Gethsemanie remains one of the greatest show songs ever.

I agree.  Amazing performance on the soundtrack.  Rumor had it, they wanted Gillan to star in the JCS movie, but he held out for more $$$, and they moved on from him.

14 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I agree.  Amazing performance on the soundtrack.  Rumor had it, they wanted Gillan to star in the JCS movie, but he held out for more $$$, and they moved on from him.

I didn't know that.  Thanks.

I saw Deep Purple in Buffalo early on and was amazed by Gillan's voice and thought it sounded very familiar, especially with that incredible falsetto in Child in Time.  I looked at the credits for JC Superstar, and there he wasnamed in the lead role.  I have heard a number of renditions of Gethsemanie and none match the sheer pain and intensity of Gillan's.