Best basketball player of all time

Buffalo716

Bill Russell won 11 NBA titles as a player, in an era when WIlt was playing. He also won two consecutive NCAA titles including 55 games in a row, and an Olympic Gold Medal [as an amateur].  Second all time in rebounds and rebounds per game and arguably the best post defender ever to play the game.  He changed the game as the first quick, athletic post player.  Also a 6'9" high jumper [when the WR was 7'0"] at at 6-10 could run a sub 50 second quarter mile. Also the first black head coach in a major American Professional Sports League.

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

Bill Russell won 11 NBA titles as a player, in an era when WIlt was playing. He also won two consecutive NCAA titles including 55 games in a row, and an Olympic Gold Medal [as an amateur].  Second all time in rebounds and rebounds per game and arguably the best post defender ever to play the game.  He changed the game as the first quick, athletic post player.  Also a 6'9" high jumper [when the WR was 7'0"] at at 6-10 could run a sub 50 second quarter mile. Also the first black head coach in a major American Professional Sports League.

and Bill psyched out Wilt every single time, except when Wilt's team was 30 points better.

Bill still beat Wilt when Wilt's team was 25 points better...

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

and Bill psyched out Wilt every single time, except when Wilt's team was 30 points better.

Bill still beat Wilt when Wilt's team was 25 points better...

Wilt routinley put up 40+ on Bill Russell though 

the celtics were a much better team 

Bills Russell says Wilt was the best ever... Wilt says its Meadowlark lemon

I think all 3 will agree that at the end of the day it's still a big mans league

if you are 7' and can move you can be a superstar 

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Pete said:

thats my vote.  And my uncle always told me Oscar Robertson was the best

He was definitely ahead of his time.

6'6 guard who can move ... he was Russell Wilson before Wilson.

he was so smooth and I can see why the league loves bigger PGs

At 6'6 you can see over the whole floor and see things smaller guards can't 

The Big O is probably the greatest PG of all time 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Wilt routinley put up 40+ on Bill Russell though 

the celtics were a much better team 

Bills Russell says Wilt was the best ever... Wilt says its Meadowlark lemon

I think all 3 will agree that at the end of the day it's still a big mans league

if you are 7' and can move you can be a superstar 

you weren't stopping Wilt on a night he wanted to try, Russell knew how to sell a soft-soap psyche-out when he needed it, Russell was the master of the mental game and freely talked about it during his career, so give him his 40-28 and still beat his team....

there were plenty of nights Wilt didn't seem to want to try, he was a nice guy and sometimes reasoned mentally he didn't care all that much, sadly during very vital games

he twice copped out on the Lakers in the Finals milking a bogus injury, letting the Knicks beat them, for one of them the coach in frustration told him to go sit back on the bench after putting up with so much nonsense the whole year

nonetheless he is one of the greatest players ever and as a fan am sorry i just tuned in for his last years in the game

the 7-footer has not been that vital the last 30 years,  to my dismay... the last Anointed College Messiah was Ralph Sampson and that didn't really pan out....

[those in my life who cheered maniacally for Wilt during his prime always lamented "he never won when it mattered!"

i've always been surprised they cheered for Wilt, i thought they were more Boston-type fans...]

Edited by row_33

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you weren't stopping Wilt on a night he wanted to try, Russell knew how to sell a soft-soap psyche-out when he needed it, Russell was the master of the mental game and freely talked about it during his career, so give him his 40-28 and still beat his team....

there were plenty of nights Wilt didn't seem to want to try, he was a nice guy and sometimes reasoned mentally he didn't care all that much, sadly during very vital games

he twice copped out on the Lakers in the Finals milking a bogus injury, letting the Knicks beat them, for one of them the coach in frustration told him to go sit back on the bench after putting up with so much nonsense the whole year

nonetheless he is one of the greatest players ever and as a fan am sorry i just tuned in for his last years in the game

the 7-footer has not been that vital the last 30 years,  to my dismay... the last Anointed College Messiah was Ralph Sampson and that didn't really pan out....

Shaq, Karl Anthony towns , Porzingis, Yao Ming, mutumbo, pao gasol, Dirk, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson , Hakeem the dream... still some dominant big men since the 90s

even guys like Durant are 6'10 and would be considered a big man 30 years ago cus his height 

Edited by Buffalo716

----------------------

Honourable mentions:

Olajuwon once he gave up being a total headcase, but it was kinda strange he didn't get to the FInals during the Jordan era except for the years MJ was "retired", it wasn't like Houston had to go through the Bulls to get there...  and that 86 team was loaded for the Rockets but fell apart for "miscellaneous reasons"

and that great who Bill Simmons advised played lights-out even about a well-known pre-game bump or two in the locker room, with a nickname that suited this habit.... I have never read who this was precisely but one named umm....... "Ice" had some rehab time near the end of his great career....

at summer camp i worked with one great "of his day in the 80s" who did a few rehab stints, didn't have a clue he was on drugs for my time with him...

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Shaq, Karl Anthony towns , Porzingis, Yao Ming, mutumbo, pao gasol, Dirk, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson , Hakeem the dream... still some dominant big men since the 90s

even guys like Durant are 6'10 and would be considered a big man 30 years ago cus his height 

the low post "everyone stop and wait while he makes his move" is long gone

Valenciunas in Toronto likes to take 7 painful seconds to work out a low post move with the ball....  shudder.....

Durant is a 3-4-5 when he needs to be out there, as noted earlier, McAdoo was just like this with the Braves, along with having to cover Unseld/Walton/Cowens/Kareem every night for the hammering to took on his pipe-cleaner thin body.

(Unseld...)

Great comments and memories of past and present

For me the important thing has been to adjust to the changes as they suddenly arrive and embrace the game with a most nights viewing of a hopefully competitive effort by both teams.

I never thought the day would arrive with 30 3-point attempts being average for a team.

And hope that somehow the Pels get someone who can get AD and Boogie to truly shine out there with more wins...

Magic.

I think perhaps if you were starting a team and could take one player you could make a case for Jabbar.

I think people remember Jordan for the second half of his career as if his first half were the same and it just wasn't. He missed a lot of late shots in his first seven or so years. He was great but not nearly as great. LeBron was clearly better early in his career compared to Jordan at that point of his career.

10 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Magic.

I think perhaps if you were starting a team and could take one player you could make a case for Jabbar.

I think people remember Jordan for the second half of his career as if his first half were the same and it just wasn't. He missed a lot of late shots in his first seven or so years. He was great but not nearly as great. LeBron was clearly better early in his career compared to Jordan at that point of his career.

The word that captures Jordan for me is "clutch." Every shot clock wind down, end of quarter, and end of game, EVERYONE knew he was shooting, and it seemed like he made an incredible number of those shots no matter how many defenders. 

Jordan was also first team defense almost every year. He was a nightmare on D. 

On desire to win, no one compares with Jordan. He was and is still kind of insane about it. His HOF speech is one of the worst of all time because he can't let go. 

Jordan made me happiest to watch because of his pure grace as an athlete, competitiveness, and this clutch thing.  I never thought the other team would win a game that mattered. Never. HE was Brady-like in that way. 

Lebron will score more. Magic and Bird were better all around players. Wilt dominated the league in a way that won't happen again. But Jordan gets my vote. If he was playing any of these guys in a game, my money would be on his team to win. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, mead107 said:

Wilt the stilt. He banged the most women.  

Except he was never in the company of women, cultivated ferns, wore capes and had a lot of cats in his place. I’m going with him being the best closeted...

Edited by row_33