Is Kyle Williams leadership undermined by media fawning?

BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

harsh but I can't argue against it, not sure how much EW does in terms of calling out blocking coverage (and getting snap count correct), some centers in the NFL are pretty damn valuable beyond their mere blocking ability.  That is the only reason i can think of why they extending him when they did.  He isnt going to get any better that is for sure.

Groy is as good at football as Wood. Wood is smart, don't know if smarter, and he is a leader. But every time I listen to him I just feel like he is a chump and some wanna be tough guy. 

Not trying to pretend I'm on an NFL level.but if anyone played sports they knew the practice champions. That's what wood seems in my eyes. The guy who is 100% in practice and 100% in games. But his 100% in practice makes him look good when everyone is giving 80%. But when they give their 100% he looks like he really is:. Overrated.

And when he called out Sully for an article criticizing him rightly so about 3 years ago saying Sully never tagged him in the tweet condemning his play wood looked like a douche. He is a douche, I promise. A soft douche. A 102.3 the river playing the hard Rock of Barry manilow and Phil Collins. The type of guy who goes to the weight room and plays Garth Brooks and Luke Bryant. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I think Wood and K Williams are both overrated as players and leaders and they are popular with Bills fans because they're big white guys who've been on the team for a really long time.

Yeah, we don't like the blacks in WNY. 

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I've often felt that despite the fact that Bills players really like Kyle Williams, that he has surprisingly little impact on the temperature of this team as a leader.

My suspicion is that the fact that the fans and the media rarely single him out when things go wrong probably tamps his impact in the room.

I mean.........if Marcel Dareus were on the team when the Jets/Saints/Chargers ran thru the Bills DL at a franchise historic pace....Dareus would have been excoriated by the media and fans.

The reality is that KW has been bad at times during his career...........at times when the Bills lack "dudes" on the DL his upfield style creates holes and exposes LB's...........he's not a guy who can carry any defensive line.......he's very good at what he does.........but not all aspects of DL play...............AND YET......he's held in a kind of "untouchable" HOF esteem by fans and media.

You have to wonder if that preferred treatment..........even though it's really just outside the locker room.........doesn't make teammates kinda' turn a deaf ear to him.........like he isn't really in the same struggle that they are.  

You start with an unfounded opinion (Kyle has little impact on the locker room) and then build speculation upon that.

I remain unconvinced.  

This is 10000% right but guys on here will kill you for having that opinion. I only remember him making one game-changing impact play this year, and it was last week against the pats when he sacked TB12 on 3rd down. He misses key tackles routinely, gets pancaked a lot, and has been at the receiving end of boneheaded penalties. 

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I don't agree with the OP's conjecture. I think this Defense would run through a brick wall for KW. He was never the most physically gifted player on the field but he has always made the most of what he has.

I don't believe anyone has mistaken the respect he has been given by the fans, media and other teams for being sheltered or coddled. 

They'll run through a brick wall for him or be one of the most porous run D's in the league starting with our line's inability to hold blockers or the edge? What really happened this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I've often felt that despite the fact that Bills players really like Kyle Williams, that he has surprisingly little impact on the temperature of this team as a leader.

My suspicion is that the fact that the fans and the media rarely single him out when things go wrong probably tamps his impact in the room.

I mean.........if Marcel Dareus were on the team when the Jets/Saints/Chargers ran thru the Bills DL at a franchise historic pace....Dareus would have been excoriated by the media and fans.

The reality is that KW has been bad at times during his career...........at times when the Bills lack "dudes" on the DL his upfield style creates holes and exposes LB's...........he's not a guy who can carry any defensive line.......he's very good at what he does.........but not all aspects of DL play...............AND YET......he's held in a kind of "untouchable" HOF esteem by fans and media.

You have to wonder if that preferred treatment..........even though it's really just outside the locker room.........doesn't make teammates kinda' turn a deaf ear to him.........like he isn't really in the same struggle that they are.  

To even think of a post like this shows an extreme level of cluelessness.   

Are you just looking to stir **** up? 

10 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

They'll run through a brick wall for him or be one of the most porous run D's in the league starting with our line's inability to hold blockers or the edge? What really happened this year. 

I disagree that it is Kyle's fault. Blame it on a combo of scheme, personnel, coaching etc. and with that KW certainly shares the blame but to blame it all on him or claim he is not criticized his fair share, does not seem accurate to me.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

It’s come to me, finally, the Bills need to hire you as the football czar.  I’m sure you will have instant success.

Thanks for the constructive feedback..........I appreciate you following me around attentively to add nuggets like this.......global moderators.......always furthering discussion.:lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I disagree that it is Kyle's fault. Blame it on a combo of scheme, personnel, coaching etc. and with that KW certainly shares the blame but to blame it all on him or claim he is not criticized his fair share, does not seem accurate to me.

He just got bulldozed 1v1 on that huge run opening the lane for Drake. Only I will call it out though....

On 12/30/2017 at 9:05 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Someone is bound to turn this into a racial discussion, just wait and see.

Regardless, KW is a team leader and he is respected, for that he does have value beyond just play on the field.  Also Marcel was the 3rd pick in the draft, got a stupid large second contract, more is expected and more should be demanded from his play.  Third, Marcell has gotten into trouble a few times, missed a team bus etc., KW to my knowledge has been a model citizen. Finally, at this point KW is old, again expectations are lower. MD should be in the prime of his career.

and that person would be you. congrats!

...if you can lead, lead. KW has always been a leader.

Edited by 87168

On 12/30/2017 at 12:36 PM, buffaloboyinATL said:

I don't agree with the OP's conjecture. I think this Defense would run through a brick wall for KW. He was never the most physically gifted player on the field but he has always made the most of what he has.

I don't believe anyone has mistaken the respect he has been given by the fans, media and other teams for being sheltered or coddled. 

Exactly, and anyone questioning that need only watch the sideline reaction after KW scored yesterday.

Boom

Edited by BillnutinHouston

What the OP misses here is that in the NFL true leadership begins with play on the field in games and situations that matter.  Has Kyle lost something given his years?  Probably so, at least from from a physical standpoint.  However, he has lost nothing in terms of his fight to be successful and to lead by the force of example.  Kyle Williams inspires his teammates. He has also inspired a fan base during a very dismal period of years.