Top two NFL QBs in salary, did not make the playoffs

Foreigner

The Bills most likely will go QB looking after the season, but we need to be reminded while offensive

Football is a 11 man game; just because a team has a expensive (which should mean successful) QB,

it does not necessarily mean success in the NFL.
Before this season, contracts were signed by Derek Caar for 5 years at $125,000,000 and Matthew

Stafford for 6 years and $151,000,000. The guaranteed money was for $70M and $80M respectfully.

And by the way, Tyrod Taylor's contract was for 2 years at $30,500,000 with $15,5M guaranteed.

So bringing in a so called top veteran QB at big bucks doesn't mean much if you ask the Raiders or Lions.

As for the draft, we all know it is a crap shoot., but even getting a franchise guy means nothing

unless the O and D is upgraded, and we all know where that needs to be done in Buffalo.

As for JG in SF, that is the exception in the draft. He sat and learned for 3 years from perhaps the

greatest QB ever to play the game. I doubt if he came right out of the draft and started immediately

that he would be as good as he is today.

• Like (+1) 1

I totally agree. 

QB is a brutal position to play nowadays as far as scrunity.

Few years ago with Manning, Brady, Rodgers ,Luck running the NFL, the QB position got extremely overvalued.

Ppl make it seem like it's a cure all for the whole team, it's the most important position in the game,but besides some once in a decade QB's , they need a very good supporting cast to succeed, wish Taylor had that opportunity and praying we get in the playoffs!

Tyrod can break down a defense, our defense can beat up offense, need to be consistent. 

I'm not a big Tyrod fan, but you have to admit that with the Sammy trade, the play calling, and the skill level of the WR group, it is no wonder he's had some struggles. That being said, it is very aggravating to watch him struggle with simple stuff like throwing the ball away, and his unwillingness to attempt risky throws. His price/performance ratio is probably tops in the league, so from a business perspective, it makes sense to keep him and draft the QB of the future and have an open competition at training camp. Spending $100 million on Cousins and hitching your wagon to him for the next 5 years is a high risk/high reward move. He could trip on a mat in training camp and be out a whole year, and never come back as the same player, while the rest of the positions would be filled with mediocrity because there was no $$ to spend.

Not sure of the salary, but Phillip Rivers and Joe Flacco hopefully will be joining them Sunday.  Add Marcus Mariota (maybe) and Jameis "Crab Legs" Winston to the franchise QBs sitting out the playoffs. Russell Wilson may be too.  Add Suck for Luck and Watson and Rodgers due to injury.  Trbisky.

Meanwhile Alex Smith and Case Keenum are in.

I thought if you had a franchise QB you were set?  I'm confused.

• Like (+1) 1

Team game.   If your O Line or Defense suck, you can have Y.A. Tittle back there and you ain't goin' anywhere relative to playoffs.  Ask  Wilson and Winston how it went this year running for their lives all game every game.  Ask Luck how much fun it is to have to score 40 to win.   It's a team game.  Unfortunately, the NFL  changed the f ing rules so much to make it a higher scoring passing game which fans will sit through dozens of  million dollar Bud Light commercials to watch, the QB position rules the game... which eventually found its way into the wildly overpriced QB contracts of today.   Now everyone thinks you get a QB and its all good cuz the rules favor passing.   You still need the rest of the team in order to win consistently.  

Edited by 8-8 Forever?

39 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Not sure of the salary, but Phillip Rivers and Joe Flacco hopefully will be joining them Sunday.  Add Marcus Mariota (maybe) and Jameis "Crab Legs" Winston to the franchise QBs sitting out the playoffs. Russell Wilson may be too.  Add Suck for Luck and Watson and Rodgers due to injury.  Trbisky.

Meanwhile Alex Smith and Case Keenum are in.

I thought if you had a franchise QB you were set?  I'm confused.

Alex Smith is a franchise QB.

How many of those QB's have missed the playoffs 17 years straight? I'll hang up and listen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, jmc12290 said:

Alex Smith is a franchise QB.

How many of those QB's have missed the playoffs 17 years straight? I'll hang up and listen.

I agree on Alex. I just put his name in because I read on here at least once a day that Alex = Hotrod.

How many of those QBs have been playing for 17 years?

Edited by reddogblitz

This is a dumb argument.

Packers went from one of the best teams in the league to one of the worst when Rogers got hurt.

Colts went from best team in the league to first overall pick when Peyton Manning got hurt.

A great QB can win you Super Bowls and playoffs for DECADES. Are there exceptions? Sure. Carr had a bad year and Stanford has never been Elite.

Do I want to swing for the fences and hope to lock in the single most important position on the field for decades? Of course I do.

If you’re not thinking that way, you are dumb. Period.

• Like (+1) 3

I have no idea what this thread is about! I don't recall ANYONE saying that if the Bills paid Tyrod a fortune then they're bound to be a playoff team.  It doesn't work in reverse. First you have to be a good QB, and then you get paid....and probably make the playoffs. Not guaranteed.  Sheeesh 

This year's playoffs will feature Brady, Big Ben, Drew Bree's, Cam Newton, Alex Smith, and Matt Ryan.  Looks like a pretty solid list to me. Even more so if you throw in Phillip Rivers and the two top draft picks from last year (even if Wentz is injured).

Who cares if Detroit didn't make it?