Allen or Mayfield?

Klaista2k

Which QB should the Bills take?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB should the Bills take?

• Josh Allen
    • Baker Mayfield

I like the potential there is with Allen.  Has the best arm ive seen in a long time.  Mayfield to me is an all time great college player and do not see how translates to the NFL.  Oklahoma is loaded with Talent and the Big 12 doesnt play defense.  Give me the big guy with the big arm who is from cold weather.  

• Like (+1) 2

I know only one thing for certain: people will have wildly confident opinions about these guys and other potential first round QB's all winter long, despite being incredibly uninformed and only actually watching them play for tiny little snippets.  That being said, I have watched every game Josh Allen has played as D1 QB and I am one of the guys I just described when it comes to the rest of the QB's in this conversation.  I like Mayfield.  I think Josh Allen would be perfect going to a team like San Diego, New Orleans or even Green Bay.  And I wouldn't be so quick to rule the Bills out of going after any QB, including Rosen or Darnold.  Do NOT be surprised if they mortgage a bunch of picks to move up and get the guy they want.

• Like (+1) 2

Much like Watson last year, I was skeptical and wanted to see it in a big bowl game against a SEC or top defense. Well, Watson light up Alabama for the second year in a row and I was completely sold. And we passed on him.  If Baker does it against Georgia and possible Bama/ Clemson, I'm completely in.  Unlikely Watson, he seems like a total d bag so he needs to chill on that.

i never got the Allen love. He was never that great in college in a subpar conference and his accuracy seems to be an issue, which is a huge red flag. We aren't a stable enough franchise to go with a developmental, all the physical tools qb prospect again.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Much like Watson last year, I was skeptical and wanted to see it in a big bowl game against a SEC or top defense. Well, Watson light up Alabama for the second year in a row and I was completely sold. And we passed on him.  If Baker does it against Georgia and possible Bama/ Clemson, I'm completely in.  Unlikely Watson, he seems like a total d bag so he needs to chill on that.

i never got the Allen love. He was never that great in college in a subpar conference and his accuracy seems to be an issue, which is a huge red flag. We aren't a stable enough franchise to go with a developmental, all the physical tools qb prospect again.

While I actually agree with you re: Allen as a project, he was excellent last season in his first year as a D1 QB.  He was the first team MWC QB and won some big games.  The love for him should be easy to get if you watched his TD passes in the bowl game last week.  The first TD throw he made is a throw maybe only a handful of current NFL QB's can make.  He can throw the ball farther than anyone and he can make the tough across his body throws unlike few QB's I've ever seen.  Plus he is big and strong, has an uncanny ability to get out of pressure and is a better runner than Luck and probably Rodgers too.  The extent to which he had nothing to work with this season sounds cliche and redundant but believe me when I tell you that he had nothing to work with this season.  It's not like his skill set regressed from his sophomore season.  

3 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

While I actually agree with you re: Allen as a project, he was excellent last season in his first year as a D1 QB.  He was the first team MWC QB and won some big games.  The love for him should be easy to get if you watched his TD passes in the bowl game last week.  The first TD throw he made is a throw maybe only a handful of current NFL QB's can make.  He can throw the ball farther than anyone and he can make the tough across his body throws unlike few QB's I've ever seen.  Plus he is big and strong, has an uncanny ability to get out of pressure and is a better runner than Luck and probably Rodgers too.  The extent to which he had nothing to work with this season sounds cliche and redundant but believe me when I tell you that he had nothing to work with this season.  It's not like his skill set regressed from his sophomore season.  

While I definitely respect your opinion because I only saw him a few times (and he was terrible), even last year, he was a 56% passer and threw 15 ints.  That would be terrible in the SEC much less the mountain West. It's so hard to evaluate college Qbs but less than 60% passers rarely become franchise NFL Qbs.  But if he got with the right coach and is developed correctly, who knows? I also think McShay is terrible and he loves him. 

Luckily, I don't know if Buffalo Barbarian likes him because that would the final kiss of death. :)

I love Mayfield’s skill set and I’m starting to come around on him after learning more about him from the Heisman ceremony piece and his speech.

Only thing that scares me about him is his attitude. He can either apply it and turn it into a positive and give the whole team a chip on their shoulder, or he can go the route of becoming a team cancer, especially if he’s on a team that will have to lose to get better. Oh and there’s the whole Heisman jinx thing.

Edited by CajunBillsBacker

With Mayfield having small hands, I don't like the prospects of him playing in cold, bad weather.  Allen hasn't shown enough so he's probably too risky, although he did play well in his bowl game in snow flurries.  I do like the idea of Luke Falk, who's big (6-4, 223) and has played in bad Washington weather while still maintaining a completion percentage over 68%.   Drawback on him though is playing in a Mike Leach system from which QBs have a big adjustment to the NFL.

In recent years, there always seems to be a QB who moves up in the pack after all-star bowl games, the Combine and individual workouts (Ex: Flacco, Bortles, EJ Manuel, Wentz) so we'll have to wait and see.

5 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

With Mayfield having small hands, I don't like the prospects of him playing in cold, bad weather.  Allen hasn't shown enough so he's probably too risky, although he did play well in his bowl game in snow flurries.  I do like the idea of Luke Falk, who's big (6-4, 223) and has played in bad Washington weather while still maintaining a completion percentage over 68%.   Drawback on him though is playing in a Mike Leach system from which QBs have a big adjustment to the NFL.

In recent years, there always seems to be a QB who moves up in the pack after all-star bowl games, the Combine and individual workouts (Ex: Flacco, Bortles, EJ Manuel, Wentz) so we'll have to wait and see.

With his size, athletism, and arm strength there ia no doubt to me that QB will be Allen.  Too many teams need a qb.  I dont see Allen or Jackson making out of the top half of rd 1 with either going top 5.  Both are so rare physically i think a team moves up to get them.

37 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I voted for Josh Allen because I was thinking of Rosen. My bad.

I think Allen is Christian Hackenberg Part II.

A kid that has every physical attribute scout's drool over but sucks at football.

While I'm in the Mayfield camp on this one (His attitude brings to mind a certain great Bills QB who really didn't want to initially be in Buffalo), I really don't think Hackenberg and Allen are in the same category. Allen really knows how to play football, has a massive arm, great mobility and a great desire to improve and win. If he ends up as the Bills pick, no one should be surprised. He has to cut down a bit on his risky throws to succeed in the NFL, as playing vs sub par competition had him getting away with throws he never would in the NFL, but he's got the look and body of an NFL QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Klaista2k said:

Rosen will be gone and Darnold probably isn't coming out so it's down to either Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield.

Which one should we take?

I really don't like either for Rico's offense, his offense needs a taller QB that sees over the middle & down the seams...I would wait to the 2nd rd and draft a guy like NC State QB-Finley. Great size 6'4" , rhythm passer with some pocket presence, upside is probably somewhere around the Dalton, Flacco or maybe even Matt Schaub range.

I just think Allen is a few years away, if at all. He really needs to be developed slowly with a good QB coach to reach his potential.

I love Mayfield's grit and passion but he is not a fit for  Dennison's WC offense...Our OC has shown his resistance to adjusting his scheme to fit the talent at hand. Mayfield is a 5-7 step  downfield passer and Dennison  offense is 1st based upon the 3 step drop. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.