Upcoming fee agent DTs

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Beane stated in his press conference that he doesn't make many big splashes in free agency, I'm going to take his word on that.

Indeed

I'm looking for more Hyde/Poyer types, hence my mention of Justin Ellis at DT. Blokes brought up Stephen Paea earlier this year, as he's another under-the-radar guy IMO.

18 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I doubt we break the bank at the DT position in FA especially if given the Dareus situation.

So at this point I'm guessing we use one of our 1st round picks on a DT (assuming there's one there worth taking) and then also sign a FA who isn't a big name and won't cost as much.

Either way DT is probably the biggest hole on this team not factoring in the QB situation. Also need to address LB and DE as well.

This an interesting decision for the Bills. Their #1 problem is finding a QB, and a vet will cost money. Improving the DL will improve the secondary. They won't break the bank on guys like Gaines and Mathews as they need to invest in the front 7 first. I think they will try to find a pass rusher and LB in the draft, so They will need to make an investment in a DT, but how much are they willing to pay here is the interesting/tough question. 

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Indeed

I'm looking for more Hyde/Poyer types, hence my mention of Justin Ellis at DT. Blokes brought up Stephen Paea earlier this year, as he's another under-the-radar guy IMO.

Hyde was given the 14th highest safety contract in the league, I can't see why they wouldn't offer a good DT that kind of money. In a market where you have cap space and there are a lot of DT's out there, it would be foolish not to at least take 1 need off your draft board. 

10 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

Why does ANYONE think Adolphus Washington should be a part of any rotation next year......this guy makes NO plays.

trade for a box of rocks or cut please

I am fine with him coming into camp. But if he doesn't perform well then he should be cut. A third year player that hasn't flashed much should be given one last go in the pre-season. I doubt a team would be willing to give you anything for him, so you might as well see what you have one more time. 

34 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Yes.  Like Dareus, but not Dareus.  

Amen brother! 

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Hyde was given the 14th highest safety contract in the league, I can't see why they wouldn't offer a good DT that kind of money. In a market where you have cap space and there are a lot of DT's out there, it would be foolish not to at least take 1 need off your draft board. 

I am fine with him coming into camp. But if he doesn't perform well then he should be cut. A third year player that hasn't flashed much should be given one last go in the pre-season. I doubt a team would be willing to give you anything for him, so you might as well see what you have one more time. 

Do not bring him into camp- have you seen this cat try to tackle? Its pathetic!!!

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Beane stated in his press conference that he doesn't make many big splashes in free agency, I'm going to take his word on that.

I think it would be stupid to not attempt to resign Gaines and Matthews and not to find a good DT. DT is one of your biggest needs, you have a lot of cap space, and there are a lot of good DT's out on the market. I think you could snag a top DT for 6-7 million per-year easily, doesn't have to be Star, there are plenty of big guys to be had. You only have so many draft picks to spend, why trade Dareus only to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a DT? This would be Jauron levels of incompetence. 

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Indeed

I mentioned earlier in the thread I like Bromley, and he doesn't have the stats to put him in the elite tier, but I think he would be a nice "get" as well....probably a mid-tier market value DT. He and Ellis could pair nicely.

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Which also bolsters the argument for Drafting a QB instead of trying to sign Cousins or whomever...and I for one am in favor of that...I think a Paul Richardson would compliment the WR corp if they bring back Thompson. Also, they need value Offensive linemen and list of potential ILB is better than OLBs this year, which might impact their Draft plans.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I think it would be stupid to not attempt to resign Gaines and Matthews and not to find a good DT. DT is one of your biggest needs, you have a lot of cap space, and there are a lot of good DT's out on the market. I think you could snag a top DT for 6-7 million per-year easily, doesn't have to be Star, there are plenty of big guys to be had. You only have so many draft picks to spend, why trade Dareus only to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a DT? This would be Jauron levels of incompetence. 

I don't think he meant not resigning his own free agents but he mentioned specifically that he's not a big splash guy, he does make trades though as we have all seen. I personally think the 1st rounders and our next years 1st will be used to move up and grab a QB this year, it's just a gut feeling. Getting a solid DT has got to be a priority I'd think, I'm not sure if they'd want to invest 6-7M into a DT when they can get a rookie 2nd round for what 2M-3M and you get that for 4 years? I don't think that's incompetent at all, I'd rather see the Bills invest along the OL spending the FA money on a RT, RG or C because all 3 need to be upgraded.

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I don't think he meant not resigning his own free agents but he mentioned specifically that he's not a big splash guy, he does make trades though as we have all seen. I personally think the 1st rounders and our next years 1st will be used to move up and grab a QB this year, it's just a gut feeling. Getting a solid DT has got to be a priority I'd think, I'm not sure if they'd want to invest 6-7M into a DT when they can get a rookie 2nd round for what 2M-3M and you get that for 4 years? I don't think that's incompetent at all, I'd rather see the Bills invest along the OL spending the FA money on a RT, RG or C because all 3 need to be upgraded.

It's subjective to what you define a "Big Splash" to be of course. But even if both Matthews and Gaines are resigned to significant deals they should still find a way to sign a top DT to a deal in the range of what they paid Hyde last year. If the big move is to pick up a QB using a lot of draft capital than it is even more pertinent to fill a hole or two in free agency with the decent amount of cap space you have since you likely won't have much draft capital to fill other aspects of the roster. 

I hear you saying that the Bills could possibly spend a 2nd round pick on a DT and then spend that 5-7 million on a guard. But you also have to read the market in free agency. The market is flushed with DT's and O-line even the interior positions are getting paid a lot and there aren't a lot of great O-line players available. You can spend 5-7 million on a DT and get one of the top DT's in the market or you can spend 5-7 million on a RG and get at best a middle of the market guy. I think if you are wise with where you are investing you pay a upper middle market price for a high end deal as opposed to paying an upper middle market price for a middle of the road at best player. 

• 2 months later...

Don't understand all the love for Star, he really isn't all that impressive.

Pros: Occupies blockers/ Familiarity with McD and Beane and the system/ Dependable, has only missed 4 games in his career.

Cons: No pass rush at all/ No TFLs/ Needs top flight LBs and elite line mate Short) to hide short comings (we don't have those)

Rather have Poe who is a better all around player. I'd rather pay him than Star who is an inferior player in comparison.

That being said, Star is ok if the price is team friendly.

Edited by billsbackto81