[Misleading Title]Chargers QB benching

Bing Bong

Decision to start Peterman at Chargers, a good one?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have started the Chargers game?

• Nathan Peterman
    • Tyrod Taylor

16 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

The Chargers coaching decision debate has come back again now that it has become relevant in playoffs. Again I am fighting the ludicrous notion that Peterman should have started. Please give me your honest opinion, as I'd like to know if I am in the minority and stop this crusade. And I sincerely apologize if I harp on it too much, I believe my "opinion" is fact and love to argue as such. :)

Probably blew their chances for the playoffs, while at the same time, they have blown their chances for drafting the top QB prospects.. Ya gotta choose one or the other, not fluctuate in between.

• Like (+1) 1

In hindsight, Peterman wasn't ready. That's obvious. I can't fault McDermott for wanting to do something to spark the offense, his error was believing NP was up to the task. Regardless, the Bills were playing horribly at the time with Taylor at the controls. The Chargers were in the midst of a hot streak, and Keenan Allen was virtually uncoverable at WR for a stretch. With Lynns knowledge of defending Taylor thrown in, I don't see the Bills winning that game either way. Taylor HAS improved since then, with the opening drive vs NE being his one critical error since the benching. Perhaps it had some positive effect on his play. If you want to play the what if game, take a look at the loss @ CIN. The Bills had the benefit of multiple takeaways in that game, and Taylor failed to get them in the end zone with a first down in the red area. Or a wasted defensive effort at CAR, in which the moribund passing offense produced just a FG. Those are critical in the Bills playoff scenarios as well. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Everyone does realize that we are debating whether or not a guy that has completed 49% of his career passes to his guys and 10.2% of his career passes to the defense should have started an NFL game? Of course not!! The Bills got destroyed for the decision, before, during and after. It was obviously deserved.

At the same time we cannot change it now. What’s done is done. There is no need to discuss that. What’s the goal? To tell a bunch of people, “I told you so?” We all want what’s best for the Bills and these next 2 weeks will tell the story.

• Thank you (+1) 1

To much has been said about Nate's first start.

It was the perfect storm. Going against one of the league's best defensive line combined with KB getting hurt first possession, it was down hill.

Out of the 5 picks, two wasn't the guys fault. 

I bet given a full season to start, Nate would put up better numbers than TT if I had to bet.

JMO.

I didn't want Peterman to start until the Colts game honestly. I did want to see what we had in him. I still am not convinced he's as bad as he played against the chargers. He played admirably in the Colts game anyways in terrible conditions. Do I think he is the answer long term not right now I don't. Am I completely done with him and want him to go away no I wanna see more. As we sit right now in the thick of the Playoff hunt we have to ride it out with TT and that's fine. 

When coach made the decision to start Peterman I was excited to see what he could do. I immediately realized he was put into a really tough situation and Tyrod should of started. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, McBean said:

To much has been said about Nate's first start.

It was the perfect storm. Going against one of the league's best defensive line combined with KB getting hurt first possession, it was down hill.

Out of the 5 picks, two wasn't the guys fault. 

I bet given a full season to start, Nate would put up better numbers than TT if I had to bet.

JMO.

"Better" INT numbers for sure. :lol:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

Hindsight is 20/20 . . . or not.  I don't know the answer.  Clearly Peterman had a terrible game and wasn't ready for the opportunity.  I guess you can say it was a mistake to start him.  However, Tyrod had had two terrible games.  Looking back, I don't think there is any convincing evidence he would have played well in the first half had he remained the starter.  Coming in the second half he played well, but was that because of the message he had received from his benching?   We'll never know.  

We also don't know what kind of career Peterman will have going forward.  Will he be a starter?  Is he a career backup?  Is he going to wash out of the league in a year or two?     It depends on a lot of things, and nobody here knows the answer.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

"Better" INT numbers for sure. :lol:

HOF QB named Brett Favre says hello.

Give me a guy under center willing to play with brass balls over a guy who is conservative as heck that can't push the ball down field.