Why I wouldn't want Cousins in Buffalo

essential

Just now, Luka said:

Oh that's right your one of the resident Tyrod shills. Hate to burst your bubble big guy but the only thing Tyrod does better than Foles is run. Foles has played 10 less games and has more yards, more touchdowns etc. etc. He's also got more wins. Or is that only a QB stat when you're trying to defend a QB who can't actually play the position?

It's you're and Nick Foles is a bum who had one fluke year in Chip Kelly's system before he regressed to his mean which is awful.  

9 minutes ago, Luka said:

Still leaps and bounds better than Tyrod. I always prepare for the worst. As fun as it is to picture Cousins or Bridgewater in a Bills uniform, it's more likely we end up with someone like Foles or Bradford.

Bradford is a china doll and a weird dude.  Not many teams will want him as a starter. 

I would be very happy going into the draft if the Bills managed to somehow sign Kirk Cousins, Star Lotuelelei, and resign Gaines and Matthews to reasonable deals. Although the Bills might have the cap space if Tyrod is traded or cut I doubt they could fit all that with their current cap space. With a better QB, a big run stuffing DT, and Matthews and Gaines retained the Bills could do a lot of improving to their roster through the draft. 

Edited by billsfan89

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 12:37 PM, Dread321 said:

I would rather sign Smith to a cheaper, less-risky deal. Cousins scares me because of the franchise limiting salary he will command. I agree with the article in that I do not think he will carry the franchise by himself like Rodgers does GB. 

Smith contract in trade is 17 mill for next year.http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/alex-smith-3337/ 

Tyrod is about 9.34 mill if Bills keep him next year.(18 mill cap hit if they keep him. 8.640 dead cap if cut/traded) http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

If they trade for Smith(17 mill) they will have 17 mill + 8.654 mill = 25.640 mill tied up in QB position and only one QB to show for it.(Smith)

If they sign Cousins for 27 to 29 mill a year avg. the first years will have a much lower cap hit and likely much less cap hit than Alex Smith 17 mill. AND Bills will instead have a better younger good QB named Cousins. In the short term then they can still build a team around him before the big cap hits hit.

I choose Cousins over Smith.

Edited by cba fan

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:20 AM, blacklabel said:

Is Neil O'Donnell busy? How about Steve DeBerg? What's Dave Krieg up to? Bills really missed the boat on those dudes. They're off winning numerous Plooper Bowls. 

+ other Super Bowl QB's =Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Matt Hasselback, Craig Morton, David Woodley, Tony Eason, Mark Rypien, Stan Humphries, Billy Kilmer, Chris Chandler, Kerry Collins, Jake Delhomme, Rich Gannon, Rex Grossman, Jeff Hostetler, and even Joe Flacco and maybe Jim Plunkett.

Cousins is as good or better than all of these.

Edited by cba fan

Cousins, Smith, Bradford are all a waste of time and money.  The Bills need to draft a QB and start him his rookie year like the Eagles did with Wentz, the Cowboys did with Prescott,  the Raiders did with Carr, and the Rams did with Goff (after initially wasting time on Keenum).

Buffalo has too many holes in the lineup to fill to waste a large amount of cap dollars on a caretaker QB who will keep them at 8-8.  There are a few potential franchise QBs prospects in the draft.  The Bills have the draft ammo to get one of those guys.  After cutting Taylor, the Bills won't be on the hook for a huge QB contract; they could use that money to build around their young QB, like the Rams, Raiders, and Eagles did the last couple of seasons.

And if the rookie QB doesn't pan out, at least the Bills will be able to recognize the mistake quickly and take action to fix it the next season.

Edited by Perry Turtle

On 12/23/2017 at 2:33 PM, GoBills808 said:

Cian Fahey
“I actually think he might have had his best season in the league, and I, but again, like what is that saying? I don’t think it’s saying a huge amount.  Obviously, he’s had big numbers in the past.  I always feel like he’s a guy who is going to take the 6 yards that are definite instead of taking the like 20 yard throw, or aggressive throw, that will actually help you win the game.  See, this is the thing you kinda need to dive really deep into.  We tend to, in the NFL, say that if a guy doesn’t throw interceptions he makes good decisions, but I always find the situational awareness, the situational understanding, of what your team needs at a specific time to try and win the game.  I always find that to be a better determination of how good you are at making decisions and I’m still very much concerned, that’s my biggest concern with Cousins, like I think he’s a guy who would happily check down on 3rd and long, who’ll happily check down on even 2nd and intermediate or medium whatever you want to call it, and I don’t think that helps you win games, I don’t think he elevates anyone around him, I don’t think he sets you up for success, and especially not when you’re ganna have to pay him $25 or $30 million a year, whatever it is.”

This is rich coming from Fahey. 

And this guy LOVES Taylor.

Zero credibility

I'm on record for saying I think signing Cousins would be our fastest track to winning and I'll stick by it. Obviously the ultimate situation is that you hit on your QB in the draft, regardless of cost, and he stays with you for 15+ years, but that scenario has a lot of ifs and maybes associated with it that will keep it from ever fully coming to fruition. I also don't understand Fahey's point about him taking the 6 yard pass vs the 20 yard pass. Cousins has a career YPA of 7.84, and since he became a starter in 2015 he's been top 10 in YPA every single year. He has been incredibly efficient and maintained that efficiency with a high volume workload.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I wouldn’t want to give up more than a 1st round pick and Glen for Cousins...he is scheduled to become a FA for crying out loud

He’s going to be a FA, so we don’t have to give up any thing for him, just $$$$.

• Like (+1) 1

Do you burn a couple of picks for on of top Qb prospects and and use some money to fill the holes on the roster?  Do you dump most of your cap space into cousins and fill the holes on the roster with draft picks?  That is the question.  Seems to me Cousins fits Dennisons system and I would not be surprised if that is the first move Buffalo tries to make.  Trade Taylor for a team that misses out on a Qb in Fa.  Cleveland, Denver, possibly Jacksonville all may be interested in Taylor for the right price. 

Cousins is finishing his 5th year, Tom Brady was an above average game manager around that point in his career, he wasn't spectacular in his first superbowls..made the plays he needed and took care of the ball, Aaron Rodgers was just coming off the bench to replace Favre. The greatest in the game just started rolling about year 5...i don't think cousins has hit the ceiling especially if he has more talent around him...if be very pleased to go into 2018 with Cousins and shady in the backfield

• Like (+1) 4