Has officiating ever NOT been a problem?

Steptide

Yesterday I commented on a post on Instagram about the incomplete pass that should've been a touchdown in the steelers Patriots game. My comment basically said the rule is stupid and steelers should've had a td. I was probably the 500th person to comment this, but Patriots fans being Patriots fans, didn't take it to well. 

It got me thinking though, back when I started watching the bills as a die hard fan (1999ish) I don't recall the refs dictating games the way they do now. I know from watching football since I was a kid, their has always been questionable calls, but I feel like it's now to a degree where games are being determined by calls the refs make where as I don't remember that in years past. Having said that, our last playoff game was lost due to a questionable call on a forward pass. So I guess it's always happened. You don't seem to see it as much in the college game though, even though their is way more games and players in college football. 

there have always, always, been bad calls. Google Renfro catch Oilers, think of the Steelers Super Bowl win against the Seahawks and the phantom holding. No one wants to hear it, but maybe the Comeback game does not turn out the way it does if Beebe is correctly called out of bounds and ineligible instead of catching a TD.

Only thing that sucks now is replay..just go with refs call on the field..let me friggen celebrate a TD ..cant remember the last time watching on TV that I celebrated a TD as it happened.

And no team has benefitted more from replay than the Pats..reason alone to get rid of it.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Yesterday I commented on a post on Instagram about the incomplete pass that should've been a touchdown in the steelers Patriots game. My comment basically said the rule is stupid and steelers should've had a td. I was probably the 500th person to comment this, but Patriots fans being Patriots fans, didn't take it to well. 

It got me thinking though, back when I started watching the bills as a die hard fan (1999ish) I don't recall the refs dictating games the way they do now. I know from watching football since I was a kid, their has always been questionable calls, but I feel like it's now to a degree where games are being determined by calls the refs make where as I don't remember that in years past. Having said that, our last playoff game was lost due to a questionable call on a forward pass. So I guess it's always happened. You don't seem to see it as much in the college game though, even though their is way more games and players in college football. 

I think to some extent referees determining games with calls has always been talked about. I remember being a huge Houston Oilers fan during the Bum Phillips, Earl Campbell era. I still think about the TD catch by Mike Renfro in the championship game against the Steelers in 1979 that was ruled both feet not down and in thus incomplete. The replay showed otherwise, but it was not in effect at the time, and the Steelers continued on and won another Super Bowl. I think people pissed and moaned, but the refs were considered part of the game and mistakes happened. It wasn't fun to accept..... but it was what it was. Replay has brought about a different era for sure. And, the mentality we just want to get it right in a technical sense. I also think your point about the college game is true because to me the rules seem simpler and more straightforward. The NFL has intervened way too much with its rules. I feel like I'm listening to lawyers, and politicians talk when I listen to the NFL folks talk.

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

there have always, always, been bad calls. Google Renfro catch Oilers, think of the Steelers Super Bowl win against the Seahawks and the phantom holding. No one wants to hear it, but maybe the Comeback game does not turn out the way it does if Beebe is correctly called out of bounds and ineligible instead of catching a TD.

Only thing that sucks now is replay..just go with refs call on the field..let me friggen celebrate a TD ..cant remember the last time watching on TV that I celebrated a TD as it happened.

And no team has benefitted more from replay than the Pats..reason alone to get rid of it.

LOL! we both typed the Renfro catch at the same time.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Like it or not, that's why the NHL has it better.  Put away the whistle and let the players decide.  Right now the NFL ref's play a relatively major role in determining a winner of the game

Ignore obvious penalties? That's just as bad as calling bad ones. I remember when a penalty was never called in 3rd period of a hockey game...regardless how obvious...that's wrong

Edited by nucci

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Ignore obvious penalties? That's just as bad as calling bad ones. I remember when a penalty was never called in 3rd period of a hockey game...regardless how obvious...that's wrong

I agree. Refs shouldn't ignore obvious penalties. I've noticed the refs definetly let up a bit in nfl games in the 4th quarter. 

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

No , calling penalties on plays the directly impact scoring chances yes. Calling all the ticky tacky stuff  NO

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

I agree. Refs shouldn't ignore obvious penalties. I've noticed the refs definetly let up a bit in nfl games in the 4th quarter. 

So you want them to call a penalty 180' feet from the net when a guy steps on a stick and falls or a marginal hook while forechecking? Or a million other things...

9 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

No , calling penalties on plays the directly impact scoring chances yes. Calling all the ticky tacky stuff  NO

So you want them to call a penalty 180' feet from the net when a guy steps on a stick and falls or a marginal hook while forechecking? Or a million other things...

I was speaking of NFL games, not hockey 

36 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Not to change the subject or anything...

Is it just a coincidence that the Bills have NOT been to the playoffs SINCE YOU started being a fan????? Hmmmmmm

:huh:;):D:blink::ph34r:

Bills fans know about bad late calls. A couple for the geezers among us:

1975 @MIA: non-fumble call on Mercury Morris + unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Pat Toomay (for pushing an official in an effort to recover the fumble!) short-circuits comeback and costs Bills playoffs

1978: vs. MIA: Roland Hooks catch late in 4th Q that would have put them in FG range ruled incomplete, Bills lose 25-24

Those kinds of officiating blunders are one problem. The decision to call or not call holding is another entirely...

52 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Like it or not, that's why the NHL has it better.  Put away the whistle and let the players decide.  Right now the NFL ref's play a relatively major role in determining a winner of the game

The NHL definitely limited the scope by originally allowing only reviews of goals (i.e - did it cross the line). I'm pretty sure that they went so far as allowing play to continue until a whistle and then going back to review a non-goal.

But they did take the next step down the slippery slope when they allowed review of offsides calls after a goal was scored.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Good points and I agree in principle. The problem for me is the refs were making blatantly bad calls and I think there should be room to correct those. It's just difficult to strike the right balance and now we're at a point where people are debating minutia that would be better left to the call on the field IMO. 

Edited by SinceThe70s

47 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

It really is almost becoming as bad as soocer. One or two long pass interference calls can literally decide a game and that happens a lot

• Like (+1) 1

The problem is the same as it's always been. Back when the Dolphins were a dynasty the NFL favored them it was said because Don Shula was the head of the rules committee. Now the Patriots get the calls, I'm thinking because someone thinks it's good for the sport to have a dynasty team or because Robert Kraft has compromising photos of Goodell...or something. 

But it the OP is correct. The officiating is horrible and is yet another reason for the leagues decline.