If Taylor finishes season strong, do we build around him/Dennison?

JerseyBills

We need to elevate our standards for a QB.  He's simply not good enough.  He shows signs here and there but it's not consistent at all.

When he's bad....he's bad.  There is not enough good for him to build around.  He's regressed since 2015.

Beane already stated what they are looking for in a QB.  Someone who has the ability to work within the pocket....this is Tyrod's biggest weakness.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

Outside perspective, but shouldn't that all be based off of WHO you can get for a QB? I mean what if Cousins is willing to go to Buffalo? He is a HUGE upgrade at QB and you can then spend your draft capital on WR and D line. If that happened and I was GM I bundle my 2 first round picks and move up to get one of the top pass rushers and then use my second round pick on a WR. 

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Andrew Norwell.  He will be super expensive.  Not sure I see them going that route.  I would not hate it if they did mind you.  If you are going to go with Dion as your starting LT in 2018 then having Norwell next to him would be a huge help.  Flip Richie to RG and then find yourself a RT somewhere in the draft you could have a top 5 o-line.  

....think we have a shot at Star?...........

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Outside perspective, but shouldn't that all be based off of WHO you can get for a QB? I mean what if Cousins is willing to go to Buffalo? He is a HUGE upgrade at QB and you can then spend your draft capital on WR and D line. If that happened and I was GM I bundle my 2 first round picks and move up to get one of the top pass rushers and then use my second round pick on a WR. 

In FA they'll make their best possible sell to Cousins, then Smith. If they settle for anyone else they will need to try to trade up and acquire a young guy that they like.

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Andrew Norwell.  He will be super expensive.  Not sure I see them going that route.  I would not hate it if they did mind you.  If you are going to go with Dion as your starting LT in 2018 then having Norwell next to him would be a huge help.  Flip Richie to RG and then find yourself a RT somewhere in the draft you could have a top 5 o-line.  

I wonder if it's been discussed on flipping Wood to RG, Groy at center?  You're paying a lot for Groy to only sit on the bench.

Wood started his career at RG when Hangartner was center.

Then find a RT.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

5 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

If they (TT and Rico) consistently produced performances like Sunday's first half, it would be worth giving them more time.  Unfortunately we've seen too many like the 2nd half with little reason to believe it would improve.

Yup. That game shows why, we play scared with a lead. Even if we go up by 11 points at NE, our offense comes out in the second half like there's 4 minutes left in the game. 3rd quarter, when up by just 2 scores is not the time to run, run, pass, punt. Need to be aggressive for 60 minutes, but i have never seen us do that. 

Have to look first at finances.   If we keep Tyrod does it preclude us from signing a big free agent or possibly losing someone else valuable on the team to free agency because of money?    

If not we would keep the guy, he can win games and would be the ultimate backup because he's a nightmare if you havent prepared for him all week.  

With 7 years in the league and 40+ NFL starts with about a .500 win percentage, how much upside is left?  What if we drafted all defense and had badass D that put less pressure on him for comebacks?

TT has the character and work ethic to be a champion, what about giving him a new OC that lets him call the plays he wants, teach him a real hard count and when to use it, smoother play action, qb sneak training, how to quick snap and get the 12 men penalty, etc.   

Dennison isn't proving to be a good game caller, both his previous head coaches called plays and he doesnt seem to have the knack for it.   

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you think someone like Sam Bradford is in the discussion as well?

Bradford is an option, but due to health concerns he's not a guy they can count on for 3+ years like the other 2 are. So, imo, if it's Bradford he's coming pretty cheap and they're still looking to move up.

I just don't see this regime keeping Taylor unless we win a playoff game and he's a big reason. He doesn't fit what they want in a QB. I do think the draft and available FA QB's will play a role. I hope they don't turn the offense over to a rookie QB next season. So we will need a veteran QB for next season. We'll see , I guess.

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Bradford is an option, but due to health concerns he's not a guy they can count on for 3+ years like the other 2 are. So, imo, if it's Bradford he's coming pretty cheap and they're still looking to move up.

So Cousins obviously they'd look at long term.

With Smith, would they still be looking to move up?  Or just see who drops to them?

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I have been a big time Taylor supporter, my reasoning has always been that he is the best option available to Buffalo. If Taylor has 2 (hopefully much more in playoffs) quality games after a quality start last week do we use our draft capital to build around him ? 

I personally would love to build around him. He's now 21-19 with mostly below average defense. Build on that D, add a cpl weapons on O and I think he can get 10 wins on a regular basis, but I do understand he needs to show consistentcy. If he closes out the year with 3 or more quality starts in a row, I think he must stay ,along with Dennison.

Unless of course our staff sees a can't miss QB prospect, I'd rather draft a 2nd -3rd rounder and keep a guy that doesn't turn the ball over and if game planned right can use his feet as well as his arm to get wins...This week will show me alot about Taylor/Dennison,on the road , biggest game in a decade , this could keep both of them in Bills gear for 2018 imo... 

May I politely offer you a suggestion? Watch the bloody games.! And then compare them to games where the qbs are competent.  It's a night and day difference. If Taylor is kept this regime should be charged with felonious malpractice. The reason he is currently our best option is because this befuddled organization has peculiarly not gone out and gotten a better option. Please stop with this foolishness. 

Edited by JohnC

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So Cousins obviously they'd look at long term.

With Smith, would they still be looking to move up?  Or just see who drops to them?

Smith is still only 33 and plays a game conducive to being able to play into his late 30s, so they would see him as buying them some time and the ability to stay put (or move up significantly less) and take the risk on some potential rather than the total package.

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Smith is still only 33 and plays a game conducive to being able to play into his late 30s, so they would see him as buying them some time and the ability to stay put (or move up significantly less) and take the risk on some potential rather than the total package.

What would you do?  Back the Brinks truck for Cousins or take Smith at a cheaper cost and build the lines?

14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....think we have a shot at Star?...........

Yes, and don't sleep on Adrian Clayborn the defensive end in Atlanta either.  He is a disciplined rusher, understands his run gap responsibilities, has never quite nailed down a starter job (injuries have played a part in that) but has been a real solid contributor and is supposed to be a high character guy too.  He feels to me like a classic McDermott and Beane FA target (think the Micah Hyde of DEs) and having been in ATL and TB they will know all about him.  

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I wonder if it's been discussed on flipping Wood to RG, Groy at center?  You're paying a lot for Groy to only sit on the bench.

Wood started his career at RG when Hangartner was center.

Then find a RT.

Wood wasn't a great RG then though.... it is unlikely he has got a lot better.  And most NFL staffs (including this one) seem to not like having their starting C and backup C both in the starting 5.  I've never quite understood why..... 

Edited by GunnerBill

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I have been a big time Taylor supporter, my reasoning has always been that he is the best option available to Buffalo. If Taylor has 2 (hopefully much more in playoffs) quality games after a quality start last week do we use our draft capital to build around him ? 

I personally would love to build around him. He's now 21-19 with mostly below average defense. Build on that D, add a cpl weapons on O and I think he can get 10 wins on a regular basis, but I do understand he needs to show consistentcy. If he closes out the year with 3 or more quality starts in a row, I think he must stay ,along with Dennison.

Unless of course our staff sees a can't miss QB prospect, I'd rather draft a 2nd -3rd rounder and keep a guy that doesn't turn the ball over and if game planned right can use his feet as well as his arm to get wins...This week will show me alot about Taylor/Dennison,on the road , biggest game in a decade , this could keep both of them in Bills gear for 2018 imo... 

It is another chance for Taylor.

However what he does worst is what Bellicheck does best. Tyrod has trouble seeing the filed and understanding it quickly.

Bellicheck is great at disguising things and mixing it up.

I Tyrod isn't that talented and isn't good at decoding schemes and this is a big game, away, where we almost never win. It is porobably not going to go well for him.

If it does go very well for Tyrod then he will indeed be making it harder to let him go. 

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What would you do?  Back the Brinks truck for Cousins or take Smith at a cheaper cost and build the lines?

It depends really. If I'm running the FO I think I look at potential trade partners once the season is over, but before FA. If there is a deal there I think the path to longer term success will be to make the trade, get your Rook and fill the remaining holes as best as possible in FA (DT, LB, RT, WR2, DE). I would expect us to be worse in 2018 than we are in 2017 if this is the route we go, but assuming the deal is somewhat favorable not too much worse. Something like what the Rams did to get Goff.

If the trades are too steep, or I can't get high enough to comfortably secure my QB of choice I make the best possible offer I can to Cousins and promise him 2 of my first 4 picks go to the offense. This is what I believe to be the team's fastest track to winning and winning regularly.

If Cousins is a no-go I talk to Smith. The other plus for Smith is that he's been with Andy Reid, which it seems makes him favorable to our FO. He understands the process and what the organization expects out of him. Assuming he signs I take whatever QB makes sense based on the draft board. Maybe that's Rudolph with our later 1st, maybe it's Ferguson with our 3rd rounder.

If both Cousins and Smith don't pan out I look at the next tier, as we will need to bring in a vet as insurance. Bradford, McCown, Keenum, Bridgewater, or Osweiler. Then I pay what I have to in order to move up and get the QB of my choosing. This will put us the furthest in the hole, but should set us up long term if we identify the right prospect.

All that being said, as I mentioned in another thread, I expect we'll settle in both departments and end up with a combination like Bradford and Rudolph.

I plan on starting a thread for offseason plans once the draft order is finalized. Will look at everything including available UFAs, Cap Space, etc. (hopefully)

Edited by BuffaloHokie13