Cam Newton: "You Been Watching Film...Watch This"

26CornerBlitz

This still makes me laugh: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000895124/article/cam-to-clay-matthews-before-td-pass-watch-this

For those who couldn't catch the on-field banter over Troy Aikman's conversation, below is the transcript:

Matthews: "It's that wheel route. It's that wheel route. I've studied too."

Newton: "You've been watching film, huh?"

Matthews: "Oh yeah."

Newton: "That's cool. Watch this..." (throws touchdown on fake wheel, slant to McCaffrey)

The exchange is fantastic. Matthews saw what he believed was a Panthers' formation tendency, which Newton could have even confirmed by commenting before the snap. If Matthews was correct, the play displayed that the Panthers did a good job of self-scouting and ran a counter for McCaffrey out of the look.

Whatever you think about Newton, Matthews, the Panthers, or the Packers, we can all agree the verbal insight into the play-by-play chess match of an NFL game is entertaining. And in the end, entertainment is what we're here to behold.

3 hours ago, zonabb said:

He gets "smacked" around because he runs around, is big, and, oh wait, it's football, not paddy cakes. Or, would you prefer the black quarterback shut his mouth when the white linebacker speaks? Think he's the only QB who talks sh!t? I bet you applauded the "guts" and "grit" and "heroism" when Hasselback elected to "take the ball and we're gonna score."

But man, you proudly bring your "red state"  "confederate" political views and comments here that you think no one will see as thinly veiled Fox News racism, nationalism, and conspiracy theory (see: we have no real proof so let's make it up). From your nonsense about Mueller's credibility to this, it's pretty pathetic that your fandom and sports have to also be tainted and viewed through a Sean Hannity lens. 

pretty spot on.  :thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This still makes me laugh: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000895124/article/cam-to-clay-matthews-before-td-pass-watch-this

For those who couldn't catch the on-field banter over Troy Aikman's conversation, below is the transcript:

Newton: "That's cool. Watch this..." (throws touchdown on fake wheel, slant to McCaffrey)

The exchange is fantastic. Matthews saw what he believed was a Panthers' formation tendency, which Newton could have even confirmed by commenting before the snap. If Matthews was correct, the play displayed that the Panthers did a good job of self-scouting and ran a counter for McCaffrey out of the look.

Whatever you think about Newton, Matthews, the Panthers, or the Packers, we can all agree the verbal insight into the play-by-play chess match of an NFL game is entertaining. And in the end, entertainment is what we're here to behold.

"Watch this" reall makes the exchange.  Without, it's casual banter.  With, it's the best sort of cockiness.

• Like (+1) 1

I watched the game live on local tv here in NC and it was definitely entertaining.   There was another play in which there was also banter between Cam and Packer and after the play Cam was seen grinning and taunting the GB player as he picked himself up off the turf.  

It is my opinion that Cam is physically far superior than every qb in the league however, his lack of maturity significantly limits his success. 

Way too many examples to list.  It's a shame really.

Personally,  I don't think there is anything wrong with this type of jawing back and forth but I was shocked that Gronk was not flagged for taunting after laughing and pointing at the Steelers defender during his touchdown celebration. 

Great thread op...thanks

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Don't like using the word swag too often, but cam had so much swag there 

5 minutes ago, PIZ said:

That was freaking awesome.  I wish we had a QB that could talk smack and better yet, back it up.  Maybe someday.

well when we get the app, we will better understand what really goes down. 

and how did you turn this into a Tyrod thing, or maybe you meant Peterman, or even Joe Webb perhaps ?

3 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

and how did you turn this into a Tyrod thing, or maybe you meant Peterman, or even Joe Webb perhaps ?

You are the first one to go there, bro.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

No, not a Tyrod thing.  Just a not Jim Kelly thing.  I'm sure Kelly smacked like that, and backed it up.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, zonabb said:

He gets "smacked" around because he runs around, is big, and, oh wait, it's football, not paddy cakes. Or, would you prefer the black quarterback shut his mouth when the white linebacker speaks? Think he's the only QB who talks sh!t? I bet you applauded the "guts" and "grit" and "heroism" when Hasselback elected to "take the ball and we're gonna score."

But man, you proudly bring your "red state"  "confederate" political views and comments here that you think no one will see as thinly veiled Fox News racism, nationalism, and conspiracy theory (see: we have no real proof so let's make it up). From your nonsense about Mueller's credibility to this, it's pretty pathetic that your fandom and sports have to also be tainted and viewed through a Sean Hannity lens. 

Wow, there's a Rachel Maddow take. Maybe you should try and stay stable instead of jumping to extremes. You can make a point without going bottle rocket on fan site. Sounds like you're a alt-left hater looking for a fight and making every opinion you don't like into some caricature because they don't share your narrative. I didn't agree with his take but not liking Cam does not warrent the volume of  your political bile. 

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

Don't like using the word swag too often, but cam had so much swag there 

This falls under "it ain't bragging if you can back it up."  I thought it was great. You can't be a star QB and not be pretty damn smart.  That was a beautiful play and well played by Cam.  I haven't been a big fan of his after that miserable SB performance and odd press conferences, but he's been very good this year.  

15 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

And people wonder why Newton gets smacked around so much. What an arrogant little bastard who can't reap what he sows.

Really? And Clay getting in the neutral zone, arrogantly calling it's the wheel route... He could have communicated it without stepping up towards the LOS. 

Clay was being arrogant too. But I guess it doesn't matter when he does it. We like to pick and choose.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

This is one of the cooler things I have seen this year. Too bad you couldn't really hear it live with Aikman talking during the broadcast. Might be cool if you could hear more in the moment talk like that during the broadcasts.

if your tv audio has a center channel, try turning it off during the game to silence the announcers