Zay Jones right now is a bust

Foreigner

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Woods had 40 catches his rookie year, that's not that much more productive than 27, particularly when factoring you have a QB that only threw half his passes to WR

In Woods' rookie season he had EJ, Thaddeus Lewis, and Tuel Time throwing him the football.  Its almost 1pass per game which could be significant especially if it came on the last play of the Panthers game.  Its not necessaries just the production or lack thereof, its the drops.

Hopefully he can fix that in the off season, but sounds like he has other priorities.

Hopefully he gets his act together and becomes Joe Hands like he was in college.

On 12/17/2017 at 11:17 PM, Bakin said:

It’s obvious that Zay CAN catch. 

Look what he did in College. 

It certainly boggles the mind as to this season of yips. 

I sure hope he figures it out. 

Happens to guys in golf, probably why you said "yips"

They just forget how to putt suddenly

It's crazy

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

All those rookie on the field issues aside: he’s still a “character guy.”  I mean, I just saw him pledge his life to Jesus in the most compelling manner imaginable. 

Yeah, he definitely sounded like a Jim Jones type of guy to me...it’s good to be a man of faith, but some people can go overboard with that kind of stuff imo.

Edited by JaCrispy

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Sure, I like to give a guy 3 years though.

I normally do to, but with a 30% catch rate he has to at least get to 50% or better.  we should be able to see an improvement by week 8 at least a gradual improvement.  

50% or better will get him into his 3rd season in Buffalo imo 

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

In Woods' rookie season he had EJ, Thaddeus Lewis, and Tuel Time throwing him the football.  Its almost 1pass per game which could be significant especially if it came on the last play of the Panthers game.  Its not necessaries just the production or lack thereof, its the drops.

Hopefully he can fix that in the off season, but sounds like he has other priorities.

Hopefully he gets his act together and becomes Joe Hands like he was in college.

Yes 1 catch per game is alot, however the Bills also had 100 more completions as a team in 2014 so when you have a QB who doesn't want to throw to WR  to begin with (TT 263 completions around half to RB and TE)  and 100 less completions total, amazed that he even had 27 catches. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I normally do to, but with a 30% catch rate he has to at least get to 50% or better.  we should be able to see an improvement by week 8 at least a gradual improvement.  

And we could have had Cooper Kupp <_<

The word bust is thrown around too much. The kid looked good in preseason and I think a few drops got in his head. 

That coupled with with some injuries he was playing with and Taylor being his qb im giving him a clean slate. 

32 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

And we could have had Cooper Kupp <_<

Yeah it would have been fun to watch Taylor not throw him the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

The word bust is thrown around too much. The kid looked good in preseason and I think a few drops got in his head. 

That coupled with with some injuries he was playing with and Taylor being his qb im giving him a clean slate. 

Yeah it would have been fun to watch Taylor not throw him the ball. 

Better than the Zay  drops 

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

okay, you are forever held to never ever ever again give an opinion over someone else failing to live up to expectations.

you can't be that much of a **** can you?

It was ONE YEAR for a rookie WR. A little early to tell too much. Certainly disappointing, but I won’t make any final decisions at this point. There is hope, at least for me. To call him “a bust” after one season is extreme. 

Cherry picking people who you might have drafted, who turned out to be more successful than your pick, is an easy game to play. Now if someone can do that successfully in advance, I’m interested.  You have to judge a FO on their entire body of work, and we have no idea what Zay will amount to as an individual in his career.  I happen to feel he can bounce back from a rough rookie year. Time will tell. 

Oh, and thanks for telling me what I can and cannot do. 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes 1 catch per game is alot, however the Bills also had 100 more completions as a team in 2014 so when you have a QB who doesn't want to throw to WR  to begin with (TT 263 completions around half to RB and TE)  and 100 less completions total, amazed that he even had 27 catches. 

Excuses excuses excuses. When the football hits you in the freakin' hands, you gotta catch it  even if you're a rookie and have the "yips" gong on 2 years.

We don't have time to baby sit a guy that can't catch.  Either shape up and work hard in the off season and start catching the football or ship out.

We're trying to win here.

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

agreed to both of you.
 He really looks like he belongs this season. Not just stats either. Route running , separation , and game awareness.

Kid has along way to come imo.

Wishing him well , as  I do all the laundry

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Excuses excuses excuses. When the football hits you in the freakin' hands, you gotta catch it  even if you're a rookie and have the "yips" gong on 2 years.

We don't have time to baby sit a guy that can't catch.  Either shape up and work hard in the off season and start catching the football or ship out.

We're trying to win here.

Those aren't excuses, they are facts 100 less completions than in 2014.  He led the NCAA in catches so seems he can catch. Lets see what he can do if we have a QB who actually throws to WR

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

chicken and egg I guess, I'd argue he threw to his playmakers, as any quarterback does. Ours were at RB ,TE (WR was slim pickings). Didn't TT get criticized for not throwing to his TE (the middle) coming into his 2nd/3rd year? That's cause he had a playmaker in Swatkins.

13 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

chicken and egg I guess, I'd argue he threw to his playmakers, as any quarterback does. Ours were at RB ,TE (WR was slim pickings). Didn't TT get criticized for not throwing to his TE (the middle) coming into his 2nd/3rd year? That's cause he had a playmaker in Swatkins.

fair take by you .

In his first TWO seasons, Eric Moulds had a COMBINED 49 catches and 2 TDS.  In year 3, he had 67 catches and 9 TDs.

Of course, thT doesn’t mean that everyone will excel in their third year, but it does suggest that it is not prudent to give up on a guy after his rookie year.

On 12/17/2017 at 11:43 PM, Buffalo716 said:

20 catches for 279 yards

and 29 catches for 294 yards...

Eric Moulds first 2 years...

i give receivers 3 years

Sorry, I didn’t see your post and posted the same later.  Too many are WAY too willing to trash a guy after one season.

4 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

In his first TWO seasons, Eric Moulds had a COMBINED 49 catches and 2 TDS.  In year 3, he had 67 catches and 9 TDs.

Of course, thT doesn’t mean that everyone will excel in their third year, but it does suggest that it is not prudent to give up on a guy after his rookie year.

Sorry, I didn’t see your post and posted the same later.  Too many are WAY too willing to trash a guy after one season.

Yea a lot goes into being an NFL receiver...

im willing to give him more time, even though the whole penthouse incident is alarming