Marvin Lewis will leave Bengals after this season

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...why?....we need WR's first......this whole "prolific" offense mess is solely their fault because they all suck, right?.............

No. Just a joke. Guess you didn't laugh. Oh well, they can't all be home runs.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I was joking in return, LOL......a ton of TBD pundits who SOLELY blame the WR corp for our passing game NOT resembling Fouts/Air Coryell.......

All good, I get it, I was a little slow on the uptake.

Rumor was that Lewis shunned the Bills years ago when they we're looking for a coach. Too bad for him, he could have been fired within 3 years with the Bills & been with a different team than the Bengals & maybe had more success. As it is the Bengals should have moved on from this guy about 5 years ago.

On 12/17/2017 at 11:42 AM, ganesh said:

He was going to be our HC except Donahoe chose Greg Williams.  At that time both were hot commodity.  In fact we chose the wrong guy among Greg,  Marvin and John Fox.  Both Fox and Lewis have had long tenure as Head Coach whereas GW never got that chance again.

That is Bull..  They have been in the hunt since Palmer was drafted.  They would have won that game against the Steelers (In Cincinnati) if Palmer did not blow out his knee before half time.

Didn't have his knee blown out on an incredibly cheap shot, you mean.

On 12/18/2017 at 5:29 PM, 1st&ten said:

Rumor was that Lewis shunned the Bills years ago when they we're looking for a coach. Too bad for him, he could have been fired within 3 years with the Bills & been with a different team than the Bengals & maybe had more success. As it is the Bengals should have moved on from this guy about 5 years ago.

...so now who get hired first, Marvin or Fisher?....that's a conundrum...........

I remember after Wade was fired that it was announced erroneously that he signed as our coach. He then signed with the Bengals. Hard to imagine what might have happened had he signed here. Would he have kept Flutie? would we have made the playoffs? or would the drought be the same? In the time he was with the Bengals , we have had 6 Head coaches!!!

I remember how excited we were to have Donahoe and Lewis back in 2001.

Donahoe spent the night at Lewis' house the day after he won the Super Bowl. He was the hottest name in football. We knew we had him as long as Ralph didn't mess it up. I'm confident Ralph vetoed it. Rumor was Lewis' wife didn't want to come to Buffalo. 

Lewis did a great job for Cincinnati. They were lower than the Browns before they hired him. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

On 12/17/2017 at 11:08 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

About time, the epitome of mediocrity.  Why he lasted as long as he did, especially with some of the discipline issues on that time is beyond me.

Well, he made the playoffs 7 of his 15 seasons which beats our head coaches by seven.  Twice with Palmer and five times with Dalton.   Of course he lost all seven games which is an amazing statistic probability wise.  His defense was pretty good for most of his years coaching.  He'll be a highly sought after defensive coordinator if he wants to go that route.  I doubt he lands a head coaching gig. 

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Well, he made the playoffs 7 of his 15 seasons which beats our head coaches by seven.  Twice with Palmer and five times with Dalton.   Of course he lost all seven games which is an amazing statistic probability wise.  His defense was pretty good for most of his years coaching.  He'll be a highly sought after defensive coordinator if he wants to go that route.  I doubt he lands a head coaching gig. 

...think he was talking a GM role......

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

If not for the cheap shot into Carson Palmers knee by the Steeler in 2005 season, Bengals were the cream of the top of the AFC, Bengals may have been in Super Bowl that year. Instead those lucky bitches from Pittsburgh had the refs steal the Super Bowl from the Seahawks for them.

And Cowher leading the players in locker room after that tainted Bengal win with a "who dey" "we dey" chant. Completely sickening.

So Bengalsy.

Oh and by the way. During off season, NFL made a rule outlawing that type of hit on QB's.

Edited by cba fan
fix

History update.

Donohoe waited to decide on HC choice until Lewis was available for interview after Ravens Super Bowl.

By that time Donohoe(or meddler Ralph Wilson) had pretty much made up his mind it was going to be GW. So he did a cursory interview with Lewis and choose announced GW as HC. I never heard he met face to face. I thought it was a phone interview. Marvin and agent unhappy and thought they were recipients of racial bias. I remember Marvin vividly talking during ESPN interview about and complaining he did not get a fair shake and that they never discussed areas in Buffalo with nice houses or good schools etc etc.......

The coach whose wife did not want to come to Buffalo was Cowher.

At some point after this mess. NFL changed rule and allowed coaches in playoffs to talk to other teams about coaching vacancies prior to playoff run ending.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/04/sports/pro-football-notebook-marvin-lewis-s-agent-accuses-bills-of-bias.html

Edited by cba fan

54 minutes ago, cba fan said:

History update.

Donohoe waited to decide on HC choice until Lewis was available for interview after Ravens Super Bowl.

By that time Donohoe(or meddler Ralph Wilson) had pretty much made up his mind it was going to be GW. So he did a cursory interview with Lewis and choose announced GW as HC. I never heard he met face to face. I thought it was a phone interview. Marvin and agent unhappy and thought they were recipients of racial bias. I remember Marvin vividly talking during ESPN interview about and complaining he did not get a fair shake and that they never discussed areas in Buffalo with nice houses or good schools etc etc.......

The coach whose wife did not want to come to Buffalo was Cowher.

At some point after this mess. NFL changed rule and allowed coaches in playoffs to talk to other teams about coaching vacancies prior to playoff run ending.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/04/sports/pro-football-notebook-marvin-lewis-s-agent-accuses-bills-of-bias.html

Donahoe spent the night at Lewis house. Everyone thought it was a lock. 

• Like (+1) 1