TBD's Approval Rating for Sean McDermott As Bills Head Coach?

BuffaloRush

Do You Approve of Sean McDermott As Bills Head Coach?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Approve of Sean McDermott As Bills Head Coach?

• Yes, I approve
    • No, I do not approve

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I think you mean 9-6-1.  I did say it probably means the end of the season (not would have been).  It was a tough call by McDermott and understand those defending the call.  I just disagree with it still.  As a head coach you have to be honest with yourself and consider all the variables when making that decision including our chances of winning out which is what we had to do as another loss and we're 8-7-1 at best (not getting you in). The odds of us running the table and win two tough division road games are slim.  Especially the Patriots who just clobbered you the week before on your home turf.  Heck, he had to know that we'd even need help if we went 10-6.  Our chances of making the playoffs at 9-7 are just under 50%.  Overconfidence in your team (winning out) is a fast track to getting fired if he would have been satisfied with a tie.

Then you have to figure the situation of the game.  You're running short on time with four minutes left.  Our offense is on our third quarterback who's last throw was an interception.  What's more likely for a victory?  Punting from their 41 and hoping to get the ball back in worse field position with one time out left with about 4 minutes to play and then driving up the field with this offense (who's only scored one TD all game) against the wind.  Or, trusting your offense to get that one yard and hope to get close enough for field goal or break one for a touchdown?  I would argue the latter.  One good throw to TY Hilton and we either tie or lose that game.

Yep... LoL... Corrected above. Oops.

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The antichrist is supposed to be a ginger. It would only make sense that the world would end after the Bills won a SB. It's one of my signs of the apocalypse.

The world will end right before the Bills are about to win the SB, perhaps during the two minute warning.  That would be the Billsy thing and supposedly God hates Buffalo.

Oh, and I am a skeptic about McD, though its really too early.  Have to see what he does with a revamped roster.  I worry that he is Jauron 2.0.

...it's great to see the "One & Done Gang" survived the BBMB demise and is in full bloom here.......a 7-6 ROOK HC coach making the same damn mistakes as his well seasoned and long tenured peers?...woefully unacceptable......pink should be his color.....the 5-2 jack rabbit start immediately changed the 5-11 or 6-10 prognosticators into discussing wild card spot....seriously?......hell this is ten times better than Rowan & Martin's "Laugh In"....good Lord.............

15 hours ago, Estro said:

I'm already done with the guy.

That punt last week told me all I needed to know.

That was a disgrace.

I'll never understand for the life of me how these franchises that are worth billions and that will go to the ends of the earth to try to win ........ continually fail to give themselves the best chance of winning on Sundays by having dumb coaches making dumb decisions.  I guess it boils down to the owners themselves being dumb.

If I had to hire a guy to play blackjack with my money, I'd want to make sure he was playing with the right strategy.  Double down when we have an 11 vs. Any dealer hand other than an Ace up.  Hit the 12 vs. A dealer 2 upcard.  Don't stick on your 15, when the dealer has a 7 upcard, because you had a "feeling" the dealer was going to bust.  Yet when it comes to football there are about 30 owners thast are okay with their coach playing the cards incorrectly.

It's baffling.

Btw.....McDermott is the guy at the blackjack table that doesn't double down on his 11 vs. the dealers 6 upcard......because there's a chance he could lose twice as much.  That's what his punt last week was.

Love it.  They should all be given a test as to how to handle basic simple in game decisions.  

If they can't answer simplistic questions they can't coach.

He's turned the offense in to garbage and made baffling coaching decisions over and over (and got lucky many times).

15 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm admittedly biased... Well not really, biased, I didn't come into his hiring railing against McDermott.

I just don't care for him. Almost everything about him, I dislike. He seems like a good guy, but his demeanor, his coaching history, what he did to the roster, how he comes across as arrogant most of the time in my opinion. Yet he can't own his arrogance, it's always veiled in some form of fake humility. That's just how I read him. So I'm not going to vote. I'll say the team has done better than I thought it would, but the losses, wow, they've been worse than I expected.

His general outlook on how to build a team, I'm undecided. I'm not sure what he believes in offensively, but if it's what we've seen so far, that's unacceptable. I don't like his usage of timeouts, and his use of challenges have been terrible as well. But what else would you expect from a guy coming from the Andy Reid coaching tree.

I'm leaning towards I don't like him, again, I'm admittedly biased or kind of feeling a certain way and I feel it's too early too. So I won't vote, I don't think my opinion reflects most Bills fans.

I think both definitely contribute to it. The gutting of the roster, starting Peterman. The guy has certainly tried to press any and all buttons that could piss you off if you're not a complete homer.

Can't disagree with this either.

When he explained the Peterman debacle as paraphrasing "right decision, wrong result", that pretty much sums it up.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

How can you not? We have the talent of a 5-6 win team and we have 7 wins with 3 games to play. He has some questionable game management issues that haven't come back to bite him yet. He has areas to be improved but he is getting the most out of his players which is the most important aspect of a HC imo.

How does a team that has been .500 the prior 3 years have 4 win talent?  Because they traded away talent and then sold some gullible fans stories as to how bad the Bills were.

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But a tie doesn't mean the end of the season.  A loss does, and that's what would have happen if Colts had a short field and given a botched 4-1 by Bills.  Just like the opening drive, botched 4-3 led to FG attempt.

A tie is better and NOT the end of the season.  Don't know where this BS about a tie got started.  Do the math. A tie doesn't kill the season.  Glad people on sidelines reasoned w/him away from rolling the bones all on one play that everybody & their brother knew was gonna be a 2 or 3 hole run or sneak.  The field was covered... You trust the refs to align and get spot right? Video would have been useless... The hash marks & lines were obscured.  A close play would have solely relied on spot & chains.

McD was a very wise and astute coach on that 4-1 call!

Wow....  Drink much koolaid?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

How does a team that has been .500 the prior 3 years have 4 win talent?  Because they traded away talent and then sold some gullible fans stories as to how bad the Bills were.

It's hilarious how gulliable some fans are. A bunch of ex players are big parts of really good teams but we had 4 win talent??? The AFC sucks and the new regime thought stupid things like Jordan Matthews could replace Sammy and a 6th round pick was more important than having our best DT in a playoff race. 

I think SM is an average to solid coach. But he has too much power and some fans are giving him a pass on the "lack of talent." He is a huge reason for the lack of talent because he had to show everyone who's in charge.  

6 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I understand your points but I also compare them to to other good head coaches, especially your arrogance comment.  What good head coaches aren't arrogant?  Belicheck, Tomlin, Carroll, Coughlin...you could go back as far as the beginning and most of those guys are arrogant.  Why would a coach come in and continue to say he made poor decisions for every move that was slightly questionable?  Wouldn't that just open the door to make everyone poke holes in his coaching abilities?  I get what you're saying but I think a coach has to have a certain level of arrogance and confidence in his abilities.  If a guy keeps saying he f'd up, I don't think he'd have the respect of his locker room.  I want a guy who believes in what he is doing and coaching with confidence, not a guy who apologies every press conference to keep the fans happy about his character traits.  That's not a winning attitude.  

Great post! Anyone think Bill Parcells or Jimmy Johnson were not arrogant!

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It's hilarious how gulliable some fans are. A bunch of ex players are big parts of really good teams but we had 4 win talent??? The AFC sucks and the new regime thought stupid things like Jordan Matthews could replace Sammy and a 6th round pick was more important than having our best DT in a playoff race. 

I think SM is an average to solid coach. But he has too much power and some fans are giving him a pass on the "lack of talent." He is a huge reason for the lack of talent because he had to show everyone who's in charge.  

Yeah he showed them!!!!

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I tell you what gullible is, thinking the Bills were going to be a serious playoff contender with Watkins, Darby, Darius or any other fan favorite that we dumped this year!  

16 hours ago, Estro said:

I'm already done with the guy.

That punt last week told me all I needed to know.

That was a disgrace.

I'll never understand for the life of me how these franchises that are worth billions and that will go to the ends of the earth to try to win ........ continually fail to give themselves the best chance of winning on Sundays by having dumb coaches making dumb decisions.  I guess it boils down to the owners themselves being dumb.

If I had to hire a guy to play blackjack with my money, I'd want to make sure he was playing with the right strategy.  Double down when we have an 11 vs. Any dealer hand other than an Ace up.  Hit the 12 vs. A dealer 2 upcard.  Don't stick on your 15, when the dealer has a 7 upcard, because you had a "feeling" the dealer was going to bust.  Yet when it comes to football there are about 30 owners thast are okay with their coach playing the cards incorrectly.

It's baffling.

Btw.....McDermott is the guy at the blackjack table that doesn't double down on his 11 vs. the dealers 6 upcard......because there's a chance he could lose twice as much.  That's what his punt last week was.

I guess I'll never hire him to play blackjack for me...I think he's learning on the job.  Since we weren't planning on immediate success with roster turn-over, it looks like he's the one playing with house money!

1 minute ago, dulles said:

I guess I'll never hire him to play blackjack for me...I think he's learning on the job.  Since we weren't planning on immediate success with roster turn-over, it looks like he's the one playing with house money!

No you were drinking the koolaid and expected a .500 team to regress.  I expected them to be better until they traded Darby & Watkins and played the tank game.

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

No you were drinking the koolaid and expected a .500 team to regress.  I expected them to be better until they traded Darby & Watkins and played the tank game.

Good, now I know who I can hire to write a revisionist life history for myself if I ever become famous!  

26 minutes ago, vorpma said:

I tell you what gullible is, thinking the Bills were going to be a serious playoff contender with Watkins, Darby, Darius or any other fan favorite that we dumped this year!  

Great point. This 7-6, boring team won't have been helped by any of those players. Our run defense has gotten so much better without Dareus and our wrs look awesome since Sammy left.  Clearly, the Rams, Eagles, and Rams made huge mistakes signing these Whaley scrubs!!! Trust the process and Jordan Matthews/ Nate Peterman/ Cedric Thornton!!!

8 minutes ago, dulles said:

Good, now I know who I can hire to write a revisionist life history for myself if I ever become famous!  

A lot of fans thought they could have made a playoff type/ 8-8 push if they kept those players. 

Also, the AFC is much worse than anyone thought it would be.

22 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Right On, You have to clean house in order to get players who want to PLAY. The players with the exception of Darby were not going to play football with the Bills, to an EXPECTED level. Darby was traded because of man/zone considerations. Watkins has said since that he did not give his all in Buffalo. Darius played about 25 percent of the game . SM is doing well as a rookie coach  so, as I have said for 17 years , wait until next year.

5 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

Right On, You have to clean house in order to get players who want to PLAY. The players with the exception of Darby were not going to play football with the Bills, to an EXPECTED level. Darby was traded because of man/zone considerations. Watkins has said since that he did not give his all in Buffalo. Darius played about 25 percent of the game . SM is doing well as a rookie coach  so, as I have said for 17 years , wait until next year.

And what will you say next year?  Some of us are tired of watching boring Bills football and saying that.

Players want to play for winning teams.  When you don't win, you play simply for your own stats.  If Watkins wasn't thrown the ball, the team is losing and he is shown over and over to be open, why should he care?  Selfish yes, but that's the facts of life.....

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, PolishDave said:

Half the guys on the team are guys that he helped pick and/or decided should be on this team and/or decided were good enough.

You know something, you're right. Why in the world didn't he acquire guys like Antonio Brown, Drew Brees , Le'veon Bell and Luke Kuechly? He sucks!!