• Announcements

• SDS

Problems logging in?   11/05/2017

I know a few people are getting logged out too quickly. I don't have the answer to that yet.   However, one change that occurred is that there is no longer a log in name and a separate display name. The upgrade discarded the log in name and now uses the display name. So, to log in:   Username: <display name> Password: <your password>   If you need to contact me to find out what your display name is use: Contact Us  and we can get things sorted out.
YoloinOhio

Browns Fire Sashi, announce Hue Jackson will return in 2018 (Dorsey may have other plans)

18 minutes ago, Peter said:

This is the owner making this guy the scapegoat.  I have to believe that the owner was all in on the approach and especially the moves at the top of the draft. Those are organizational decisions.  The Factory of Sadness lives on.

It was dumb hire to begin with--as was hiring the Mets guy.  This is the NFL and these two don't belong in a position to try to turn around a horrible team.  This was doomed to fail. 

Make no mistake--I've posted that Haslam is the worst owner in the group and the NFL should be forced to sell the team.  Picking these two to turn his team around (with analytics!!) was laughable from the start and the result was predicted.

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Shouldn't the new GM make the decision on Hue? Lol.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Who would want the job as a GM if your tied to Hue Jackson and can't hire your own coach? 

No kidding.  The new GM is stuck with this guy?  That's going to severely limit their candidate list....

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Rex had to go. But your point is well taken. Its just more added proof Pegula doesn't have a clue.

He preached continuity and decided not to retain Schwartz after the 2014 season and than the same thing with Lynn after last season. Continuity of GOOD things Terry lol.  

We clearly disagree on whether "Rex had to go."  It made no sense to fire a guy who objectively had been the most successful coach in the past 17 years of the franchise (especially given the injuries and effort to undermine him by Whaley or others).  That will never make any sense to me.

As for the rest, we agree with the Bills' previous professed emphasis on continuity.  I am not particularly impressed with McBeane or their version of the "process." Nevertheless, as much as I am not impressed thus far, I do not see myself advocating that they should be fired in less than two years.

Edited by Peter

this is actually really bad news for us.  they were going to get AJ McCarron and not draft a QB.  now that is probably out the window and they will be taking a QB #1 overall.  sucks for us

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

this is actually really bad news for us.  they were going to get AJ McCarron and not draft a QB.  now that is probably out the window and they will be taking a QB #1 overall.  sucks for us

I was hoping Hue was getting canned and might be our next OC as well

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Oh yeah, he has that UT tie with the owner.  I mean you never know.   Hue better hope the next GM is willing to be patient.   I honestly thought they would see this through.   They have a stellar defense right now with tons of young talent on the offense.   But they made a huge mistake not building around a quarterback first and foremost.

I wouldn't say their defense is stellar YET. They have some really good pieces on the front 7 but the secondary needs work and we won't really no where that D stands until their offense stops playing at a D3 level.

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

We clearly disagree on whether "Rex had to go."  It made no sense to fire a guy who objectively had been the most successful coach in the past 17 years of the franchise (especially given the injuries and effort to undermine him by Whaley or others).  That will never make any sense to me.

As for the rest, we agree with the Bills' previous professed emphasis on continuity.  I am not particularly impressed with McBeane or their version of the "process." Nevertheless, as much as I am not impressed thus far, I do not see myself advocating that they should be fired in less than two years.

If you couldn't see the Bills defense was a tire fire and Rex was in cruise control once he got paid from Pegula(outside of when we played the Jets), then I don't know what to tell you. 

If the team is absolutely putrid next season then any option is fair game, IMO.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Are you kidding? It's one job of 32. Factor in all of the picks they have on the books. The Browns could give a retread GM a real chance to put them self back on the map.

It would be awesome if they hired Whaley.

He would finally have the coach he wanted.

Browns would instantly become my 2nd favorite team to follow.

Edited by cba fan

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It was dumb hire to begin with--as was hiring the Mets guy.  This is the NFL and these two don't belong in a position to try to turn around a horrible team.  This was doomed to fail. 

Make no mistake--I've posted that Haslam is the worst owner in the group and the NFL should be forced to sell the team.  Picking these two to turn his team around (with analytics!!) was laughable from the start and the result was predicted.

No kidding.  The new GM is stuck with this guy?  That's going to severely limit their candidate list....

The Browns almost make me feel like the league is rigged. They are so incredibly stupid it's hard to believe it's reality.

From Haslam's statement:

"We have great appreciation and gratitude for Sashi's commitment and leadership to our organization but believe transitioning to someone with strong experience and success in drafting and building consistently winning football teams is critical to the future of the Cleveland Browns. Today we informed Sashi that we were going in a new direction," Haslam said. "The 2018 draft and offseason is pivotal for our franchise, we need to ensure that we maximize our opportunity for success; with our picks, free agency and building our roster. Hue Jackson will remain our coach and will return for the 2018 season but we feel it is necessary to take significant steps to strengthen our personnel department. 

"We have begun the process of having productive conversations regarding leadership of our football operations and will provide further updates when appropriate. We thank Sashi for all his hard work and dedication to the Cleveland Browns."

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

If you couldn't see the Bills defense was a tire fire and Rex was in cruise control once he got paid from Pegula(outside of when we played the Jets), then I don't know what to tell you. 

And, yet again, you'd be wrong.

But that's no surprise.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

26CopyPaste posted a twitter link that shows just how effective the guy had been despite the w/l record.

BUT in the end W/L are what matters. They could've taken a QB in the past 2 seasons AND still had the majority of those picks. I don't disagree he probably got canned too early and should've been allowed his choice, but he also missed by not taking a QB when they reallyy really needed one and didn't pull the trigger.

Just now, corta765 said:

BUT in the end W/L are what matters. They could've taken a QB in the past 2 seasons AND still had the majority of those picks. I don't disagree he probably got canned too early and should've been allowed his choice, but he also missed by not taking a QB when they reallyy really needed one and didn't pull the trigger.

Yes, he could have. But I get the feeling that despite the w/l record, they're on the right path. And they get pick of the litter this year...with objectively better QB options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

And, yet again, you'd be wrong.

But that's no surprise.

😂

If the team wins 3 games next year McBeanes a lock to come back in 2019? 

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Yes, he could have. But I get the feeling that despite the w/l record, they're on the right path. And they get pick of the litter this year...with objectively better QB options.

Completely agree. Just saying had he picked Wentz and even if the team went say 2-14 last year and 4-12 or 5-11 this year he would've got a longer leash just because it feels like progress is being made. That unfortunately is what I think sunk him especially with the team really on the verge of 0-16.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

😂

If the team wins 3 games next year McBeanes a lock to come back in 2019? 

They should be.

They should get a full 5. But you knew that was my opinion, already SnottLaw.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

No need to tell me anything . . . especially after the biblical three game stretch we had this season.

Objectively, Rex was the most successful Buffalo Bills coach since Wade - even with all of the injuries and effort to undermine him.  I get that some people are biased against him and like to throw around phrases like "tire fire" or "clown."  To me, this was unfair given his relative success in context and how the guy embraced Buffalo. Even when the guy was being thrown under the bus, he never took a shot at Whaley or ownership while he was the head coach.

You guys got your way so you should be happy.  Congratulations.  We have McBeane and their "process" and people are voting with their wallets by not buying tickets.  Fun.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

No need to tell me anything . . . especially after the biblical three game stretch we had this season.

Objectively, Rex was the most successful Buffalo Bills coach since Wade - even with all of the injuries and effort to undermine him.  I get that some people are biased against him and like to throw around phrases like "tire fire" or "clown."  To me, this was unfair given his relative success in context and how the guy embraced Buffalo. Even when the guy was being thrown under the bus, he never took a shot at Whaley or ownership while he was the head coach.

You guys got your way so you should be happy.  Congratulations.  We have McBeane and their "process" and people are voting with their wallets by not buying tickets.  Fun.

Your entitled.

My opinion is I couldn't care less if he embraced Buffalo. He sucked as a coach and the defense was a mess under Rex. 

Rex sucking is independent of McBeane. I certainly don't trust the process.... but that doesn't mean Rex didn't have to go, IMO.

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

I mostly agree with you, but I like the way these guys are operating. Trimming fat, and moving guys who are problematic.

15 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Better than who?

25 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Well Hue is the one who wanted mccarron and he’s still there. Plus McCarron is trying to get the Bengals to count his first year as accrued even though he was injured so he can be a FA this year.. not sure that’s resolved yet.

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

someone with strong experience and success in drafting and building consistently winning football teams is critical to the future of the Cleveland Browns

20 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Browns almost make me feel like the league is rigged. They are so incredibly stupid it's hard to believe it's reality.

The quote above is the best!

NOW he thinks it would be a good idea to hire someone with experience?

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

1-27 Hue is safe 

Thursday's shakeup continues a run that has made Cleveland the NFL's most unstable franchise. Since returning to Cleveland, the Browns had had eight different general managers -- Brown, Ray Farmer, Michael Lombardi, Tom Heckert, George Kokinis, Phil Savage, Butch Davis and Dwight Clark. It also has employed longtime executives Paul DePodesta, Joe Banner, Mike Holmgren and Mike Keenan.

The Browns also have had nine head coaches since 1999, tied for fourth-most in the NFL. The Bills, Dolphins and Raiders have all had 10.

Depressing that we have actually had more head coaches during our drought than the Browns have... 

i know ive said this numerous times before, but IMO bad teams stay bad by constantly firain't coaches and GMs. 

That is why I think it's crucial that we stick with a coach and GM and see what happens when we let them build something and not abort the plan 2-3 years in... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Better than who?

Well Darnold, Rosen, & at least Jackson all have been graded higher then Mahomes/Trubisky/Waston entering the draft not accounting Watsons amazing stretch for the sake of keeping just focused on leaving college for the draft. I have zero clue if any of them or someone like Allen or Mayfield will be better then the 2016 QB's, Goff, or Wentz, but those analyzing this draft/NFL personnel love the potential and traits shown thus far from this class compared to the previous 2 years.

That said I still think the Browns kinda blew it not taking a guy in either of the previous 2 years.

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Depressing that we have actually had more head coaches during our drought than the Browns have... 

i know ive said this numerous times before, but IMO bad teams stay bad by constantly firain't coaches and GMs. 

That is why I think it's crucial that we stick with a coach and GM and see what happens when we let them build something and not abort the plan 2-3 years in... 

This is the sole reason I would've kept Rex Ryan for one more season especially if you were bringing back Tyrod. If you were going to do that again then give Rex one more year with his guys and draft picks to try and make it work. If it would've failed then scorch the earth on everything to start fresh. And for the record I was not and am not a Ryan fan in the least, but you gotta let a coach have enough time to make his mark. 3 years at least gives him 2 years of his draft and players and time to get his system in for better or worse.

3 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Well Darnold, Rosen, & at least Jackson all have been graded higher then Mahomes/Trubisky/Waston entering the draft not accounting Watsons amazing stretch for the sake of keeping just focused on leaving college for the draft. I have zero clue if any of them or someone like Allen or Mayfield will be better then the 2016 QB's, Goff, or Wentz, but those analyzing this draft/NFL personnel love the potential and traits shown thus far from this class compared to the previous 2 years.

That said I still think the Browns kinda blew it not taking a guy in either of the previous 2 years.

It's the previous draft that that really blew it.  They had  a chance again last year.  Passed.

As an organization, you can't keep saying "yeah but let's see how NEXT year's QBs grade out".  And I doubt if they were even thinking that anyway.

Their HC's solution to their QB problem was to bring in RG3.

Everyone should be fired in that building....