Ryan Shazier update - spinal surgery

YoloinOhio

• 2 weeks later...

Great news but hope he doesn’t try to rush back to playing football. He’s young enough that he can take a year or even two away from the game and make sure he’s physically and mentally ready to return.

but, just now getting feeling back in his legs after a month is kind of disconcerting. I hope and pray he keeps making progress. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Great news but hope he doesn’t try to rush back to playing football. He’s young enough that he can take a year or even two away from the game and make sure he’s physically and mentally ready to return.

but, just now getting feeling back in his legs after a month is kind of disconcerting. I hope and pray he keeps making progress. 

Huh?  How is he not done?  Who would clear this guy to play?

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know but his dad said he thinks he can play again. 

His dad must have CTE.  It took a month just get sensation back in his legs.  He had his cervical spine fused/instrumented.

Now way.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/5/2018 at 10:12 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know but his dad said he thinks he can play again. 

Who cares. If he wants to play again then let him. It's not my call. He's a big boy and can make stupid decisions all by himself if he chooses.

"Stupid is a s stupid does"  if he gets hurt again so be it, i've got no skin in the game.

i've been thru this myself. ZERO chance he goes back to sports. Your body doesnt function the same way again.

I think its more a matter of him not having the ability to play more than it is a matter of danger. A fused vertebra

is actually very strong and the joint is safe. The problem is the body doesnt function as a whole the way it used to because of this.

Zero chance he plays again at his position. Manning got away with it for a few yrs because he is a QB that didnt take a big beating..

and his arm strength loss was overcome by his savvy and ability to get rid of the ball quickly.

PS--he sounds like a great kid with a great attitude

Edited by Tcali

On 1/10/2018 at 7:16 PM, Tcali said:

i've been thru this myself. ZERO chance he goes back to sports. Your body doesnt function the same way again.

I think its more a matter of him not having the ability to play more than it is a matter of danger. A fused vertebra

is actually very strong and the joint is safe. The problem is the body doesnt function as a whole the way it used to because of this.

Zero chance he plays again at his position. Manning got away with it for a few yrs because he is a QB that didnt take a big beating..

and his arm strength loss was overcome by his savvy and ability to get rid of the ball quickly.

PS--he sounds like a great kid with a great attitude

That hurts alot too..His life was football, Shazier was born to be out there, a young, elite MLB, leader of that defense, that all disappears. 

The Mental scars will damage more than the physical ones. 

• 2 weeks later...