[Please Change Title]Jordan Matthews

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

This morning Jeremy White dismissed the chance of re-signing him, saying something along the lines of "no chance".  He isn't having a great season statistically but I think that is obviously because of the quarterback.  If we are going away from Tyrod, shouldn't we want whoever is playing quarterback next year to have at least one reliable veteran receiver who does the little things well.  He only had two catches for 15 yards Sunday but one of those catches was a really bad pass, where Matthews was able to catch it low, keep his stride and advance for the first down.  A lot of receivers would have dropped that ball.  

I think people are assuming that Benjamin will be the one of the two they keep, but I would rather sign Matthews and deal with Benjamin when his contract is up.  One in the hand is better than two in the bush and I think it's probably around 60/40 that Benjamin stays healthy enough through next season to cash in on a new deal and also be an asset to the Bills.   I am very encouraged by Zay Jones progression but if Benjamin gets injured, without Matthews we are going into next season extremely thin at receiver unless we spend a high pick on one, which I am not in favor of.  Quarterback, lines, linebacker is where we need to go in the draft.  I especially want a strong group of receivers if we are going Peterman and a pick at quarterback next year.  

If we do end up going away from Tyrod and go young at QB, what would the cost be anyways?  Around $8 million for 4 or 5 years?  Is that going to hamper this team at all as McBeane moves forward.  I really don't think so.  We are going to be pretty good with the cap next year and following that, with the Dareus contract gone there will be plenty of money.  We are building through the draft and before any of the players we hit on come up for contract, Matthews contract will be ending.  We should be able to easily take on a new Matthews deal, without it really hampering future contracts at all.  

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

33 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He'll be elsewhere in 2018 IMO with Benjamin on the scene. 

There plans changed dramatically when KB became available.  I think between KB and Zay, you have two solid starters.  You can't allocate much more money, especially if your offense is "balanced" or "run-oriented."

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Matthews is a JAG. I took a lot of heat when I said it months ago and here we are. KB is a better version of Matthews as is Zay. DT is worth re-signing IMO. Add a guy in the draft and you are in decent shape. 

Definitely a complemenatry palyer who operates best from the slot as many of us intimated. 

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Definitely a complemenatry palyer who operates best from the slot as many of us intimated. 

He'd at least provide depth, Zay and KB doesn't really excite me. Rooting for Zay because if we think Kelvin Benjamin is a game changer:

He's okay.. 

Year Team GP GS Receiving Fumbles
Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Fum Lost
2014 CAR 16 16 73 1,008 13.8 51 9 1 1
2015 CAR 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2016 CAR 16 13 63 941 14.9 50 7 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He'll be elsewhere in 2018 IMO with Benjamin on the scene. 

Eh, I thought at the beginning of the season Zo, Kyle, and Wood would be gone and we'd still have Sammy, Darby, Gillislee and Dareus. We have no idea what McBeane will do. 

I wouldn't be 100% confident that they don't at least make an offer to Matthews. He's talked about how much he likes being on this team and he personifies the qualities McBeane wants in their players. He may be one of those guys they keep for his locker room presence. 

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Eh, I thought at the beginning of the season Zo, Kyle, and Wood would be gone and we'd still have Sammy, Darby, Gillislee and Dareus. We have no idea what McBeane will do. 

It's an educated guess based on who they have at the position with similar skills. No one can know for certain. 

One year rental.  Say good bye to mr Matthews after this season.  Benjamin and Zay along with Thompson (hopefully) and a Low Fire FA or draft pick. Scary to me considering KBs knee injury history.  He’s a huge man and no one is going to hit him high.   Everyone’s gonna take out his legs and subsequently, his knees.  Have a bad feeling about him accomplishing next to nothing in a Bills uniform 

Clearly, the numbers issue at WR is going to affect the Bills' decision making in the off season.  The point has been made that Jay Jones, Kelvin Benjamin and Jordan Matthews are all more or less possession receivers.  Deonte Thompson is a speed receiver, but he hasn't done enough to this point to show the Bills he can be a consistent bog play receiver.  That means it is likely that the Bills are going to try and draft some speed at WR.  The Bills are not going to dump their draft pick from last season, especially since he has started to produce.  It also doesn't look like they would want to dump Kelvin Benjamin so soon after acquiring him.  I'm assuming the torn meniscus doesn't have long term health implications for him.  So, among those three, Matthews is the least likely to stick with the Bills, especially since impending free agency is presumably going to drive up his salary.

1 hour ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

This morning Jeremy White dismissed the chance of re-signing him, saying something along the lines of "no chance".  He isn't having a great season statistically but I think that is obviously because of the quarterback.  If we are going away from Tyrod, shouldn't we want whoever is playing quarterback next year to have at least one reliable veteran receiver who does the little things well.  He only had two catches for 15 yards Sunday but one of those catches was a really bad pass, where Matthews was able to catch it low, keep his stride and advance for the first down.  A lot of receivers would have dropped that ball.  

I think people are assuming that Benjamin will be the one of the two they keep, but I would rather sign Matthews and deal with Benjamin when his contract is up.  One in the hand is better than two in the bush and I think it's probably around 60/40 that Benjamin stays healthy enough through next season to cash in on a new deal and also be an asset to the Bills.   I am very encouraged by Zay Jones progression but if Benjamin gets injured, without Matthews we are going into next season extremely thin at receiver unless we spend a high pick on one, which I am not in favor of.  Quarterback, lines, linebacker is where we need to go in the draft.  I especially want a strong group of receivers if we are going Peterman and a pick at quarterback next year.  

If we do end up going away from Tyrod and go young at QB, what would the cost be anyways?  Around $8 million for 4 or 5 years?  Is that going to hamper this team at all as McBeane moves forward.  I really don't think so.  We are going to be pretty good with the cap next year and following that, with the Dareus contract gone there will be plenty of money.  We are building through the draft and before any of the players we hit on come up for contract, Matthews contract will be ending.  We should be able to easily take on a new Matthews deal, without it really hampering future contracts at all.  

Hard to judge based upon his injuries, and who know how Benjamin recovers as well. Yes Bills have 11teen slot receivers. But i have no idea at this point who will survive.

i would toss them all except Jones at first glance. but that ain't practical is it ?

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Matthews is a JAG. I took a lot of heat when I said it months ago and here we are. KB is a better version of Matthews as is Zay. DT is worth re-signing IMO. Add a guy in the draft and you are in decent shape. 

well  sj was a JAG  and matthews is better than sj,   we paid sj alot to be a 1 lmao,   why cant we keep matthews? a real QB  could show us all what matthews can really do.

3 minutes ago, re enlightener said:

well  sj was a JAG  and matthews is better than sj,   we paid sj alot to be a 1 lmao,   why cant we keep matthews? a real QB  could show us all what matthews can really do.

SJ was WAY better than Matthews. He got open. That’s a massive, massive difference in the 2 players.

• Like (+1) 1