49ers are the trade target

Tatonka68

Who do you draft??  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Which quarterback would you draft?

• Lamar Jackson, Louisville
    • Josh Rosen, UCLA
    • Sam Darnold, USC
    • Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma St
    • Josh Allen, Wyoming
    • Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
    • Clayton Thorson, Northwestern

The QB evaluations vary everywhere. Maybe the combine will help. 

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php

The top-four draft-eligible quarterback prospects for the 2018 NFL Draft are USC's Sam Darnold, Louisville's Lamar Jackson, Wyoming's Josh Allen and Rosen. Of them, Rosen has the best mechanics and is the most natural pocket passer.

He throws a tremendous ball and can really spin it. Rosen's tight spiral helps him to get his passes through tight windows and beat good coverage. He has serious arm talent along with field vision and pocket presence.

Rosen also works under center, which has been rare to see with college quarterbacks in recent years. He has also illustrated that he has some faults and isn't a dual-threat running quarterback 

Edited by ALF
added info

21 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

49ers are a good trade match, but I fear that trade will be for CJ Beathard, not the #2 overall pick ...

... Beathard will be starting again despite Garoppolo having been around for a few weeks now.  So what on earth are they playing at?

A. Hiding Garoppolo because they don't want him to perform well and drive up the free agent bidding.

B. Playing Beathard in an attempt at securing a higher draft pick.

C. Showcasing Beathard, who they believe is better than people think and may be trade bait in the offseason

D. They don't know what the hell they're doing

E. All of the above

I think that they want to make sure that Garoppolo has time to learn the offense before they put him in a game.  Even if he is good, he could look terrible if he doesn't know the offense when he is put in the game.

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Which way is the nfl going? Pocket passers are still king.

Pocket passers without the ability to move are a dinosaur. Brady, Brees and Rivers are the one’s still playing but they can all move within the pocket. The D ends have become so athletic over the last 7-8 years that you have to be able to get around them. The big plays are made out of the pocket (see: Rodgers, Aaron). The game is evolving.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Pocket passers without the ability to move are a dinosaur. Brady, Brees and Rivers are the one’s still playing but they can all move within the pocket. The D ends have become so athletic over the last 7-8 years that you have to be able to get around them. The big plays are made out of the pocket (see: Rodgers, Aaron). The game is evolving.

Lamar Jackson has worked hard to become more of a qb than an athletic player. He has made strides especially compared to his first year to this year. He's a work in progress but he as much as any qb had demonstrated explosiveness not only to his running but also his passing. He is a work in progress with a lot of talent to be refined. 

Mayfield was a player I was dismissive of entering the season because of his size. However, I have been converted. In every game that I have watched him against big time competition he was the most dynamic player on the field. His arm, accuracy, mobility, usage of the whole field checks off all the required categories. There are plenty of other qbs who fit the prototypical standard but he as much as any other qb has been the most productive. 

The ideal situation for Buffalo is to be able to get a qb in the first round without giving up a lot of assets to do so. This is where the GM has to juggle his priorities and where he will earn his big money. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Lamar Jackson has worked hard to become more of a qb than an athletic player. He has made strides especially compared to his first year to this year. He's a work in progress but he as much as any qb had demonstrated explosiveness not only to his running but also his passing. He is a work in progress with a lot of talent to be refined. 

Mayfield was a player I was dismissive of entering the season because of his size. However, I have been converted. In every game that I have watched him against big time competition he was the most dynamic player on the field. His arm, accuracy, mobility, usage of the whole field checks off all the required categories. There are plenty of other qbs who fit the prototypical standard but he as much as any other qb has been the most productive. 

The ideal situation for Buffalo is to be able to get a qb in the first round without giving up a lot of assets to do so. This is where the GM has to juggle his priorities and where he will earn his big money. 

Good for us we don’t have Whaley running the show...something tells me Beane will be much more frugal with our draft capital.

9 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Stay put or move up less spots and draft Baker Mayfield. He's a gamer, a winner, and has the makeup of a QB. He'll grow out of the sophomoric antics. 

I wholeheartedly agree with your point. As the draft process advances I wouldn't be surprised if his stock increases, especially with so many teams vying for a qb. As far as his behavior I'm not as worried about this rambunctious character as some people are. What I like about him that bothers so many critics is that he is passionate about the game and has a tendency to show his intense emotions. Not only am I not bothered by it I welcome it. 

• Like (+1) 1

On November 24, 2017 at 9:21 AM, jrober38 said:

To move from where we'll be picking into the top 4 will cost a fortune. It will gut the roster of talent for years to come and shouldn't be something we're considering. 

Have a look at how many first and second round draft picks are actually still on this team or current Bills property from the last 6 drafts or so.  Almost none of them are!

The Bills historically give away the "fortune" in picks anyway, but never get the super stud QB either! 

And people wonder why we are perpetually bad.

Do what it takes to get one of these guys in the draft.  Fill in the gaps around them.

I like both guys from the state of Oklahoma as well as Rosen and Darnold. 

Get one of them!

I think Watson's play this year really shot up speculation on Jackson. Athletic, strong arm, makes big plays, almost the exact same build (both 6'3, with one weighing 212 lbs while the other weighs 216 lbs...nearly identical), etc.

I'd still prefer Mayfield. Reminds me a lot of Philip Rivers

On November 24, 2017 at 9:28 AM, 8-8 Forever? said:

now that i think on it, my sense is the bills tank to 6-10, then move up just a few spots (maybe from 10 to 5) and get one of the 3 top gradeouts that are left.. great year for QBs, they should do well getting another to go with Nate the skate.   TT will be gone IMO. 

Last year the only team finishing with a record of 6-10 was Carolina, and that made them bad enough to pick 8th overall.

Probably wouldn't work out exactly the same this year but gives you an idea of where the Bills might pick if we finish 6-10.

45 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I wholeheartedly agree with your point. As the draft process advances I wouldn't be surprised if his stock increases, especially with so many teams vying for a qb. As far as his behavior I'm not as worried about this rambunctious character as some people are. What I like about him that bothers so many critics is that he is passionate about the game and has a tendency to show his intense emotions. Not only am I not bothered by it I welcome it. 

Something like a 6-10 finish and just enough dealing to get to a spot where we would take Mayfield (if we have to move up at all) could work perfectly in that we get a stud QB prospect but don't have to give up the farm to get him.

My Plan does not include trading up for anybody. (willing to trade down after the 1st round)

1. Sign Cousins.

2. Draft the best QB available with our 1st overall. 

3. With our 2nd pick in round one go LB or OL.

4. With our 1st choice in round 2 go DL. (Kyle is done)

5. Our 2nd pick in round 2 go WR. (Stretch the field)

6. Our draft should also include TE, Center, CB.

This plan should also include the best OC we can get our hands on.

On 11/24/2017 at 9:27 AM, jrober38 said:

We should just target Mayfield with our 1st round pick. He'll probably be available in the 12-20 range, which is where we'll end up picking. 

Then cut Tyrod, bring in a cheap veteran, and let Mayfield, Peterman and the vet compete for the job. Then spend the rest of our picks fixing the defensive front seven. 

Love it.

On 11/24/2017 at 9:58 AM, BmarvB said:

There's too many other holes that need to be filled on the roster. I wouldn't move up. Wait it out and see who falls down to us.

Picking at 10 or so why on earth would you ever trade up when there are 6 or so good QBs to be had. Dennison may or may not be here so thats not a factor either. Take the best available when its your turn. Go get James Washington. Fix the O line and D line with the rest of the picks.  I will sacrifice the MLB spot now hoping for a free agent 

• Like (+1) 1

On November 25, 2017 at 7:21 AM, ALF said:

The QB evaluations vary everywhere. Maybe the combine will help. 

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php

The top-four draft-eligible quarterback prospects for the 2018 NFL Draft are USC's Sam Darnold, Louisville's Lamar Jackson, Wyoming's Josh Allen and Rosen. Of them, Rosen has the best mechanics and is the most natural pocket passer.

He throws a tremendous ball and can really spin it. Rosen's tight spiral helps him to get his passes through tight windows and beat good coverage. He has serious arm talent along with field vision and pocket presence.

Rosen also works under center, which has been rare to see with college quarterbacks in recent years. He has also illustrated that he has some faults and isn't a dual-threat running quarterback 

When I think of "single threat" QBs who scare absolutely nobody with their running ability, off the top of my head, I think of Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, and Tom Brady.

What Bills fans would not kill to have any one of those 3, in their prime, play on this team for the next 10 years?

I couldn't give a rat's ass about a running ability for a QB.

If he can stand back in the pocket and fire an arm-bazooka like Marino, who cares about running?!

Let the runners run.  The passer should pass.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I think Watson's play this year really shot up speculation on Jackson. Athletic, strong arm, makes big plays, almost the exact same build (both 6'3, with one weighing 212 lbs while the other weighs 216 lbs...nearly identical), etc.

I'd still prefer Mayfield. Reminds me a lot of Philip Rivers

Watson is better passer from the pocket.  Idk how good a qb Jackson will be, bit with the unimaganative offense with Taylor I dont think they would be good fits with Jackson.  Idk about Mayfield.