Historically Awful QB Debuts - a Comparison

OK, we all know how bad Peterman was. So I went back and looked to see how much worse than some other illustrious debuts (Bills and otherwise) in recent years.

Peterman: 6-14, 66 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT, 17.9 QBR

"But Cardale Jones was pretty awful too when he came in as EJ's reliever in the last game of 1016, right?" Well, not that close:

Cardale:  6-11, 96 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 46.0 QBR

Well, he wasn't "we just signed a guy off the street and threw him in there" bad, was he?  No. He wasn't that bad. He was way, way, way, worse:

Thad Lewis: 19-32, 216, 2 TD, 0 INT, 100.5 QBR.  

"Any low round/UDFA rookie thrown in there would have fared just as poorly" - No. He wouldn't have. This guy was bad, but Peterman was ... an epic kind of bad:

Jeff Tuel (pitching in relief for EJ): 8-20, 80 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT,  31.2. (And his first start the following week was an ordinary/non-epic kind of awful: 52.2 QBR)

"How about Connor Cook in the playoff game last year ... " Close. Very close. But no cigar:

Cook: 18-45, 161, 1 TD, 3 INT, 30.0 rating

"You would've done better just throwing Logan Thomas in there at QB"  Well, we finally have a competitive game here. Let's just say you wouldn't have done worse:

Thomas: 1-8, 81 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 108.9 QBR - one of the more bizarre stat lines you'll ever see. (By the way, why isn't he playing? I mean, at TE? What's there to lose?)

"But I remember how awful Peyton Manning was in his debut ... he turned out o.k.!  

Peyton:  21-37, 302, 1 TD, 3 INT, 58.6 QBR

"That has to have been the worst Bills QB performance ever." - Hey! We have a winner! I thought I'd never see a debut as bad as Gary Marangi; now I've seen everything:

Marangi: 10-30, 116, 2 TD, 3 INT, 28.6 QBR.  Not. Even. Close.

We'll start seeing the stats geeks pipe in on the epic awfulness of this start soon. I can't believe there's ever been a worse start, because no coach is so stubborn to stick with a rookie with 4 INTs to allow him the opportunity to throw the 5th. Until now!  Congrats, McD - you, sir, are a special kind of stubborn!

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

OK, we all know how bad Peterman was. So I went back and looked to see how much worse than some other illustrious debuts (Bills and otherwise) in recent years.

"But Cardale Jones was pretty awful too when he came in as EJ's reliever in the last game of 1016, right?" Well, not that close:

Well, he wasn't "we just signed a guy off the street and threw him in there" bad, was he?  No. He wasn't that bad. He was way, way, way, worse:

"Any low round/UDFA rookie thrown in there would have fared just as poorly" - No. He wouldn't have. This guy was bad, but Peterman was ... an epic kind of bad:

Jeff Tuel (pitching in relief for EJ): 8-20, 80 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT,  31.2. (And his first start the following week was an ordinary/non-epic kind of awful: 52.2 QBR)

"How about Connor Cook in the playoff game last year ... " Close. Very close. But no cigar:

"You would've done better just throwing Logan Thomas in there at QB"  Well, we finally have a competitive game here. Let's just say you wouldn't have done worse:

Thomas: 1-8, 81 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 108.9 QBR - one of the more bizarre stat lines you'll ever see. (By the way, why isn't he playing? I mean, at TE? What's there to lose?)

"But I remember how awful Peyton Manning was in his debut ... he turned out o.k.!  

"That has to have been the worst Bills QB performance ever." - Hey! We have a winner! I thought I'd never see a debut as bad as Gary Marangi; now I've seen everything:

We'll start seeing the stats geeks pipe in on the epic awfulness of this start soon. I can't believe there's ever been a worse start, because no coach is so stubborn to stick with a rookie with 4 INTs to allow him the opportunity to throw the 5th. Until now!  Congrats, McD - you, sir, are a special kind of stubborn!

Gary Marangi - haven't thought about that guy in years......thanks alot for reminding me!

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

“Peterman bad” will be the new vernacular when describing a poor QB debut 

Yep. His first (probably only) start. And it was that special/rarely seen blend of:

1- being completely green

2- somehow still having the confidence - even after INT 3 - to think he can do amazing things - the "Nathan Favre" thing

3- but completely lacking the arm talent to do those things that Brett Favre could get away with at least some of the time

Most rookies thrown into this situation either don't have (2) or do have (3). Peterman, you are a rare breed.

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yep. His first (probably only) start. And it was that special/rarely seen blend of:

1- being completely green

2- somehow still having the confidence - even after INT 3 - to think he can do amazing things - the "Nathan Favre" thing

3- but completely lacking the arm talent to do those things that Brett Favre could get away with at least some of the time

Most rookies thrown into this situation either don't have (2) or do have (3). Peterman, you are a rare breed.

It makes me wonder if McD was trying to make a point to Rico...weird how it all went down.

4 minutes ago, dulles said:

It makes me wonder if McD was trying to make a point to Rico...weird how it all went down.

I will allow this: Tyrod is criticized for being way too cautious. Peterman's gunslinging style no doubt had even greater appeal given that backdrop, and from the couple drives he had in garbage time last week no one could have guessed that he'd take as many risks today as he wound up doing.

13 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Thanks for putting this together.  

I have one more:  Billy Joe "didn't study the playbook" Hobert: 17-30, 133, 0 TD,  2 INT,  QBR 40

AHA!  I have another one:  Brian Brohm 2010 v Jets: 10-23, 43%, 106 yds, 3 INT, 1 fumble, rating of 17.9.  Almost as bad!

I'll be honest: I'm a stats geek, and like most stats geeks I'm normally happy rooting about in the stats.
I have no stomach for this.  I suppose I'd like to know if there's been a worse performance but I won't be the one to look for it.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have one more:  Billy Joe "didn't study the playbook" Hobert: 17-30, 133, 0 TD,  2 INT,  QBR 40

I'll be honest: I'm a stats geek, and like most stats geeks I'm normally happy rooting about in the stats.
I have no stomach for this.  I suppose I'd like to know if there's been a worse performance but I won't be the one to look for it.

Thanks for the Billy Joe reminder!  And yep, that looks perfectly "ordinary bad" in retrospect. As someone said above, "Peterman Bad" is a whole different thing.

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Please.... 11-year veteran Jay Cutler threw 3 picks today and has looked consistently horrendous for three weeks in a row... Peterman gets a pass today from me and any other san e person on this board... After Fitz, why so squeamish about the picks, anyway?! Peterman's cherry got popped... That's all that happened today.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

I don't know about worse debuts, but Eli Manning had ratings of 45.1, 16.9, 60.9, and 0.0 in his first four starts.  Peterman's 17.9 rating was higher than two of those. 

Good point. Eli must have had among the worst first 4 starts ever. So what do you have to do to have a worse QB rating than Peterman today? Apparently you need to go 4 for 18 for 27 yards.  Young Nathan, do not despair: in Eli's 5th start, he had a 103.9 QB rating ...

19 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Please.... 11-year veteran Jay Cutler threw 3 picks today and has looked consistently horrendous for three weeks in a row... Peterman gets a pass today from me and any other san e person on this board... After Fitz, why so squeamish about the picks, anyway?! Peterman's cherry got popped... That's all that happened today.

Well, Jay Cutler would be relevant if we were talking about "NFL has-beens who tried to make pathetic comebacks" (he was sorta retired for a bit there). I'm glad you mentioned Fitzy, because a couple of those picks were very reminiscent of him - trying to do things that he just doesn't have the arm to do.  "Nathan Favre" with Fitzy's arm?

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually know Billy Joe Hobert and we talked about the playbook comment he made after the game.  He actually knew the playbook and studied it but he wanted out of Buffalo after the Raiders traded him here so he said he knew they would trade or cut him once they heard him make that statement.  It worked!  He's actually a really cool dude and a stud softball player living an normal life like everyone else now.

11 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Thanks for the Billy Joe reminder!  And yep, that looks perfectly "ordinary bad" in retrospect. As someone said above, "Peterman Bad" is a whole different thing.

See above - added Brian Brohm.  Another backup QB fans were clamoring for all season as Fitz played badly.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan