Kelvin Benjamin injury ( torn meniscus, will play through and have surgery after the season)

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

He could be working his way back from a small bone bruise which can happen when taking a hit to the knee. That would cause some swelling and inflamation. The tear in the meniscus seems minor and he can play on it. Just a matter of pain threshhold. I am sure they have injected him with Cortisone 

With a torn meniscus does it need to be cleaned out with a procedure or let nature take its course? 

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

With a torn meniscus does it need to be cleaned out with a procedure or let nature take its course? 

My wife says it depends on how bad the tear is and where the tear is. The meniscus doesnt hurt, there is very little blood supply nor nerve endings. Picture two U shaped taped disks with the open ends facing each other. The base of the U is where it is attached at the outside of the knee and the other at the inside of the knee. and has some blood supply. The rest of the U doesnt. f the tear is where there is blood supply it could not be an issue. If it isnt then the only way to fix it is trimming it away. When the torn piece rubs on the bone is what causes the inflammation and pain. She said he probably got a minor bone bruise as well as the tear. The bone bruise is what hurts and will swell. Bone bruises can be anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks recovery time. Bone bruises can hurt as bad as fractures sometimes.  If it was a serious tear, he would be on IR. Probably at the end of the season if it is still bothering him he can get a scope done to trim away the torn area. The more they trim away the less cushion between the bones. If he gets it scoped it will be a 4-6 week recovery time depending on what they do. I had my left knee scoped to trim the meniscus and I was back hiking and running in less than a month. 

The problem is the torn cartilage jambs in the joint causing pain or your knee to lock.

If he had it scoped when it happened 2 weeks ago he would be back for the final 2 or 3 games.

He will be lucky to play 25-33% of the snaps with it the way it is and will play a week miss a week if he does play.

12 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

My wife says it depends on how bad the tear is and where the tear is. The meniscus doesnt hurt, there is very little blood supply nor nerve endings. Picture two U shaped taped disks with the open ends facing each other. The base of the U is where it is attached at the outside of the knee and the other at the inside of the knee. and has some blood supply. The rest of the U doesnt. f the tear is where there is blood supply it could not be an issue. If it isnt then the only way to fix it is trimming it away. When the torn piece rubs on the bone is what causes the inflammation and pain. She said he probably got a minor bone bruise as well as the tear. The bone bruise is what hurts and will swell. Bone bruises can be anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks recovery time. Bone bruises can hurt as bad as fractures sometimes.  If it was a serious tear, he would be on IR. Probably at the end of the season if it is still bothering him he can get a scope done to trim away the torn area. The more they trim away the less cushion between the bones. If he gets it scoped it will be a 4-6 week recovery time depending on what they do. I had my left knee scoped to trim the meniscus and I was back hiking and running in less than a month. 

Thank you and your wife. My insurance will take care of the consultation fee. :)

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I think he'll play.  This is the biggest game left on the schedule.  They can beat the Dols and Colts without him. 

The best approach is to sit him out and proceed with the medical attention. What's the point of turning a lesser injury problem into a bigger problem. If you saw the clips of him working on the sideline of practice his limp was obvious. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t understand this meniscus stuff but it appears each is different. JT Barrett has played with a torn meniscus since week 1, had arthroscopic surgery on Sunday after aggravating it on Saturday, and is now cleared to play this Saturday. 

All depends on the severity of the tear and where the tear occurred.

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know where exactly but they clipped a frayed part of the ligament I believe 

I didn't see that reported.  Normally you need to get scoped for that(or at least I thought) which would put him out for 4-6 weeks.  If it's not sever, they would likely wait til after the season to do the surgery which is what it sounds like since they intend to have him play again this season.

This was the last I have heard.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-kelvin-benjamin-knee-injury-return-1129-story.html

Edited by The Wiz

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Meniscus is cartilage, was there ligament damage as well? I hadn't heard that...

I’m sorry - I was referring to Barrett’s

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I didn't see that reported.  Normally you need to get scoped for that(or at least I thought) which would put him out for 4-6 weeks.  If it's not sever, they would likely wait til after the season to do the surgery which is what it sounds like since they intend to have him play again this season.

This was the last I have heard.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-kelvin-benjamin-knee-injury-return-1129-story.html

Sorry - was referring to Barrett’s surgery - just saying how quickly he returned 

This team has a history of being overly cautious with players even when they want to suit up and play so I have a hard time seeing them risking further injury and damage and letting Benjamin play this week or anytime soon.

And the fact he hasn't been placed on IR yet must be some sort of Russ Brandon marketing ploy to sell tickets (and false hope).

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I’m sorry - I was referring to Barrett’s

Gotcha. In Benjamin's case if there's only meniscus and no associated damage, it's (in my non professional experience) primarily a matter of pain and swelling management...a torn meniscus alone doesn't affect structural integrity to the joint. It can occasionally cause the patella to 'lock' (not slide up/down with the patellar tendon properly which is what happened to one of mine) but all things considered it doesn't sound like something catastrophic. Hopeful he'll be back up either this Sunday or next, even in a limited capacity he can be useful. He's not the quickest guy anyway, his size and hands are really what the Bills need him for.

• Thank you (+1) 1