Trading up for Zay Jones - what it might say about the Bills Offense

BuffaloBill

We all know Zay Jones has had a bit of a bumpy start to his NFL career.  The Bills obviously wanted him in the draft given they moved up in the second round to get him.  What does that move portend about the scheme?  Also, might it be a hint as to why TT is riding the bench?

Jones was known as a guy who caught anything thrown his direction.  He was also a guy who could be “thrown open.”  He was often a “middle of the field” guy.  Finally, he was very much a shirt or intermediate route receiver who was known for YAC.  

I highly doubt the Bills moved up to get him and then looked to significantly alter his game.  He was considered a strong fit for the scheme they were looking to run on offense.  More and more I think the Bills want to run a possession offense that makes extensive use of the middle of the field.  I think that want sustained drives that eat clock and control the ball.

This is simply not TT’s game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

And it’s also why they traded for KB, who everyone thought didn’t match with TT and never added that “speed WR” that everyone thought he needed. I had said at the time they did the trade that it was because he wasn’t here for TT. I thought it was for next year and onward, when TT wouldn’t be here.  but it came quicker than I thought 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And it’s also why they traded for KB, who everyone thought didn’t match with TT and never added that “speed WR” that everyone thought he needed. I had said at the time they did the trade that it was because he wasn’t here for TT. I thought it was for next year and onward, when TT wouldn’t be here.  but it came quicker than I thought 

Agreed - the offseason and in season moves all pointed to the offense they wanted to run and it all suggested TT was not in the long term plans.

Lots of big bodied middle of the field guys - says WCO with timing.

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I know this will get poo pooed but

KB was the receiver in the Gruden QB camp with Nate.   Some chemistry 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

17 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Agreed - the offseason and in season moves all pointed to the offense they wanted to run and it all suggested TT was not in the long term plans.

Lots of big bodied middle of the field guys - says WCO with timing.

It was obvious virtually all offseason that they weren't going to try to accentuate Taylor's strengths.

That's never been in question..........no revelations.

Taylor did his best and won them a bunch of games playing Jauron ball but in recent weeks they needed the offense to put up 40 points to win and Taylor and his weapons weren't a match for that kind of production.

8 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I know this will get poo pooed but

KB was the receiver in the Gruden QB camp with Nate.   Some chemistry 

That's cool.  I didn't know that they had some earlier work together.  It kinda makes KB's quote sound funny - he said something to the effect that he didn't know/couldn't tell Peterman was a rookie.

14 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Thanks for posting. Fun to watch now knowing which players will be Bills. They talk about Tre White, Dion Dawkins, and of course Nate and Zay.

Notable quotes:

"Great job by Peterman going through his progressions. That's rare"

(On Peterman) "He was wide open. That was just a bad throw. A bad throw, man."

(On zay) "If he's selling catch radius, I'm buying"

"Let's see who Peterman trusts here on 3rd down. There's your answer: Zay Jones"

Interesting to see they seemed to have some chemistry. I wonder if/how that will translate on Sunday.

Also, Zay looked way bigger than he seems in the NFL, and I wish his hands looked that good so far, too.

For me, the reason he struggled so much early on was because of Tyrod's poor timing.  I think him and Nate Peterman can be much more productive if they execute that quick timing that is instrumental in Dennison's system.  Peterman has shown he is willing to at the very least give his receivers a chance and let them make a play.  Also, the quick passes and proper timing will help these receivers get some YAC that they didn't get with Tyrod.  I wanna see if these receivers, especially Zay can get some room to run and show their playmaking ability with the ball in their hands for a change.  We forget how fast Zay is sometimes because Tyrod really handcuffs him.  The only times I've seen a run after the catch is when Tyrod dumped it down to Mccoy.  Hoping that this switch of QB will help Zay's development.  

I found it very interesting that there was always such an emphasis on Taylor working hard on get chemistry with receivers.

But Peterman had little to no chance to work with the first string and he came in and was able to connect on passes with anticipation. 

It has crossed my mind that Dennison may have just had it with Tyrod and let him sink so he could get a QB that COULD run the plays he wanted to call.

We will start to see things more clearly Sunday afternoon.

GO BILLS

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, cd1 said:

I found it very interesting that there was always such an emphasis on Taylor working hard on get chemistry with receivers.

But Peterman had little to no chance to work with the first string and he came in and was able to connect on passes with anticipation. 

It has crossed my mind that Dennison may have just had it with Tyrod and let him sink so he could get a QB that COULD run the plays he wanted to call.

GO BILLS

This is is why I am not sure TT will make a good back-up in this league.  Guys coming off the bench may not have worked with these WRs in weeks on some plays, but if you are the back-up you need that Chemistry right away.  

Peterman has seemed to have good chemistry even in preseason as he moved from 3rd string to 2nd string to taking over with the #1s after TT got hurt.  The chemistry seemed pretty good for little practice time, but with TT we keep hearing about needing time and trust to use a WR.

17 minutes ago, cd1 said:

GO BILLS

I think it's more in the way that Tyrod was hammered so often in that Jets game (7 sacks) that he couldn't get settled against the Saints.

In three-quarters of that Saints game Taylor went 9/18 for 56 yards, 1 INT and 2 sacks. a rating of 33.6. 

More importantly, the Buffalo Bills drive chart in that Saints game went (57 yards-FG)(0 yards PUNT)(15 yards PUNT)(21 yards PUNT)(9 yards PUNT)2nd half(-2 yards INT)(5 yards PUNT)(-6 yards PUNT) Peterman (19 yards DOWNS)(75 yards TD)

So, with 4:53 left in the game the Bills put in Peterman he goes 7/10 for 79 yards, one TD with a 126.7 rating

Tyrod Taylor hung himself with that horrid performance against the Saints as he had Benjamin open for a TD and missed him. Granted the Saints have a top 10 defense and Taylor was playing like a rookie QB making his first NFL start.

From a Buffalo defensive perspective, the Bills were only down 17-3 at the half and Taylor opens the 3rd quarter with an interception which allowed the Saints to score from the Buffalo 3 ( kinda Charles Clays fault as the Taylor pass hit him in the chest and bounced off). 30 points scored in that second half because the defense was on the field all game long. 

The point being is I doubt the Bills were planning on making this move this soon and it was forced on them by Taylor.

22 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I think it's more in the way that Tyrod was hammered so often in that Jets game (7 sacks) that he couldn't get settled against the Saints.

In three-quarters of that Saints game Taylor went 9/18 for 56 yards, 1 INT and 2 sacks. a rating of 33.6. 

More importantly, the Buffalo Bills drive chart in that Saints game went (57 yards-FG)(0 yards PUNT)(15 yards PUNT)(21 yards PUNT)(9 yards PUNT)2nd half(-2 yards INT)(5 yards PUNT)(-6 yards PUNT) Peterman (19 yards DOWNS)(75 yards TD)

So, with 4:53 left in the game the Bills put in Peterman he goes 7/10 for 79 yards, one TD with a 126.7 rating

Tyrod Taylor hung himself with that horrid performance against the Saints as he had Benjamin open for a TD and missed him. Granted the Saints have a top 10 defense and Taylor was playing like a rookie QB making his first NFL start.

From a Buffalo defensive perspective, the Bills were only down 17-3 at the half and Taylor opens the 3rd quarter with an interception which allowed the Saints to score from the Buffalo 3 ( kinda Charles Clays fault as the Taylor pass hit him in the chest and bounced off). 30 points scored in that second half because the defense was on the field all game long. 

The point being is I doubt the Bills were planning on making this move this soon and it was forced on them by Taylor.

I just don't think he fit the scheme at all.  The scheme is all about quick passing which helps the offensive line.  Tyrod doesn't throw those quick hitters that this scheme thrives on and that has been a big reason for the huge sack numbers in my opinion.  If a team puts 5 on the defensive line, you have to get rid of the ball quickly.  That eliminates that pressure and they will likely have to back off of the line which opens up the run game a little.  Tyrod was just way too hesitant to be a good passer in this scheme.  We actually have a lot of weapons for a QB, Tyrod just was incapable of using them properly. Tyrod plays his best when he can hold onto the ball and that doesn't fit what Dennison does best with play calling

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

We all know Zay Jones has had a bit of a bumpy start to his NFL career.  The Bills obviously wanted him in the draft given they moved up in the second round to get him.  What does that move portend about the scheme?  Also, might it be a hint as to why TT is riding the bench?

Jones was known as a guy who caught anything thrown his direction.  He was also a guy who could be “thrown open.”  He was often a “middle of the field” guy.  Finally, he was very much a shirt or intermediate route receiver who was known for YAC.  

I highly doubt the Bills moved up to get him and then looked to significantly alter his game.  He was considered a strong fit for the scheme they were looking to run on offense.  More and more I think the Bills want to run a possession offense that makes extensive use of the middle of the field.  I think that want sustained drives that eat clock and control the ball.

This is simply not TT’s game.

KB and Mathews also fit what they want in this O. They simply need someone to get it to them...

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Zay and Kelvin we're both acquired for Nate. It couldn't be more obvious. 

Please. No team acquires WRs with a 5th round rookie QB in mind.  They had a need at the position irrespective of Peterman that led to the acquisition of both. 

Let me add that fact that Zay Jones was drafted three rounds before Peterman that makes the logic behind your point nonexistent. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Zay and Kelvin we're both acquired for Nate. It couldn't be more obvious. 

This is just absolutely ridiculous to say. So we picked up our 2nd round receiver for our already pre-determined 5th rd QB? No they picked up receivers to FIT THEIR SCHEME. Not for the quarterback