Vic Carucci's Interesting Take On Why Tyrod Was Benched

BuffaloRush

Very stupid theory by vic. Tyrod has not been good at all this year. He's had some moments but that's about it. He's very consistent at being inconsistent. Even in our wins Tyrod has not looked very good. Oddly, tyrods best looking game (Imo) was against the jets 2 weeks ago. He handled pressure very well and threw for a good amount of yards. But then threw for 57 yards last week. Tyrod just isn't the guy. It's very easy to see. Simple as that

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

So at point in the year the team realized they didn't want to be stuck with Tyrod for the 2017-2018 season.  Considering the fact of how poorly Tyrod has played in losses and the fact that they don't want him next year, they made the move to start Peterman.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sorry I got carried away 

32 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Makes sense and is in line with what I've been saying... Tyrod got hosed.

They wanted nothing to do with him after this year and were basically setting him up to fail.

Respectfully disagree 

The FO was never sold on TT.  

They offered him good money for a season one in which he underperformed.   

He he did not fit the system   

Performance not met.   

the NFL is a business 

I hope I don’t need to explain more

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sorry I got carried away 

Respectfully disagree 

The FO was never sold on TT.  

They offered him good money for a season one in which he underperformed.   

He he did not fit the system and the NFL is a business.  Performance not met.   

He did fine in the five wins, where you disappeared. I hope Peterman does well, but if he has  a hard time of it, I fully expect you not to be here Sunday night. Or you'll be here saying it was the O line and other factors which could be true, but the same problems are just excuses for TT.

http://buffalonews.com/section/sports/bills/podcast/

I'd encourage everyone to listen to the Bills Blitz podcast.  Even though I don't like the BN Sports business model, the coverage is top notch as is this podcast from Vic Carucci and Jay Skurski.  I have always respected Vic and he's an extremely reliable source.  Keep in mind he brought up rumblings about Rex and Whaley getting fired nearly a year in advance.

Vic's take on Tyrod getting benched for Peterman is that it was more of a big picture move.  Not necessarily a few years down the road, but next year in particular.  His take is the Bills realized that 8-9 wins will get them in the playoffs and there was a very good chance that they get there with Tyrod as QB.  If they get to the playoffs with Tyrod that makes it harder for them to move on from the QB who led them to the first playoff appearance in 17 years.  So at point in the year the team realized they didn't want to be stuck with Tyrod for the 2017-2018 season.  Considering the fact of how poorly Tyrod has played in losses and the fact that they don't want him next year, they made the move to start Peterman.

It's an interesting thought.  Skurski argues that the coaching believes Peterman will run the offense better than Tyrod.  It's an interesting listen for sure.

So what are your thoughts on this?   Does Vic' idea seem plausible?  

I think it is a combination of Vic's take and the fact that Peterman has more upside than Taylor.  Neither one makes sense on their own.  Taken together, it makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Edited by simool

I think they have already seen Tyrod at his best and that is is barely good enough to win many times.  At his worst, they have literally NO chance of winning and with his limitations, it is just too easy to make him play at his worst for teams.  

I think they realized that the limitations with him at QB are just too great to continue with...

Edited by matter2003

http://buffalonews.com/section/sports/bills/podcast/

I'd encourage everyone to listen to the Bills Blitz podcast.  Even though I don't like the BN Sports business model, the coverage is top notch as is this podcast from Vic Carucci and Jay Skurski.  I have always respected Vic and he's an extremely reliable source.  Keep in mind he brought up rumblings about Rex and Whaley getting fired nearly a year in advance.

Vic's take on Tyrod getting benched for Peterman is that it was more of a big picture move.  Not necessarily a few years down the road, but next year in particular.  His take is the Bills realized that 8-9 wins will get them in the playoffs and there was a very good chance that they get there with Tyrod as QB.  If they get to the playoffs with Tyrod that makes it harder for them to move on from the QB who led them to the first playoff appearance in 17 years.  So at point in the year the team realized they didn't want to be stuck with Tyrod for the 2017-2018 season.  Considering the fact of how poorly Tyrod has played in losses and the fact that they don't want him next year, they made the move to start Peterman.

It's an interesting thought.  Skurski argues that the coaching believes Peterman will run the offense better than Tyrod.  It's an interesting listen for sure.

So what are your thoughts on this?   Does Vic' idea seem plausible?  

I think that is a long walk to get nowhere. 

Just now, Augie said:

I’m glad I don’t get fired if they get this QB thing wrong. 

Personally I think there is very little chance of us making the playoffs regardless of which one is playing.

Just now, simool said:

Personally I think there is very little chance of us making the playoffs regardless of which one is playing.

I agree, and it’s almost as much because of the defense as the offense. Twenty three straight rushes and getting gashed every time? Ouch! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

If that's his theory then he's wrong.  What an immature take at trying to be insightful.  

I dunno ... kind of makes sense to me.  I believe McD when he says that he's not in it just to make (barely) the playoffs, which we all know would result in a very like one-and-done.  So Tyrod probably gave you the best chance (around 1 in 3 last I checked the playoff chances sites) to make it, but then what?  Moral victories like that lead fanbases/media/owners to make bad decisions like bringing Tyrod back, or (heaven forbid) extending his contract.  Somewhere in the back of Andy Reid's mind is a similar thought (perhaps the same one in the back of Jim Harbaugh's mind c. 2012?) - what happens if Alex Smith takes us to the Super Bowl, or even wins it?  You'll be stuck with him!  You'll have to re-sign him, and your kid Mahomes will rot on the bench ... and Andy knows that this will probably be an aging (and let's face it, limited) QB's best run.  Andy is stuck by virtue of Alex's excellent season and his team leading the division, so he can't do it. But nothing similar was stopping McD ... those losses to the Jets and Saints gave him the freedom to do what he's wanted to do.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

I don't think there is a single reason that fully accounts for the move, more like a confluence of circumstances all pointing in the same direction and leading with inevitable force to the same conclusion.

They have been closely watching both QBs all year. They have probably been impressed with Peterman's ability to digest the playbook and potentially execute the offence they intend to run with some proficiency. Coach says he thinks NP is ready. They have supported Tyrod by giving him his shot but he has shown that his skillset is not a fit for this system. Given their choice of scheme it is reasonable to conclude that Peterman also gives them the best chance of winning and of making the playoffs, even though that is anything but a sure thing. They cannot revert to Roman's scheme because Dennison is not Roman and they probably don't now have the horses to do it anyway after all the roster turnover. And I think its fair to say that if they had a choice between squeeking into the playoffs with Tyrod or with Peterman under center they would opt for doing it with Peterman. Makes sense to me that they would prefer not to have the QB who breaks the drought be someone that they really didn't see as the future, especially if they feel that they may have that in Peterman. In other words, as has frequently been said, they need to evaluate him in advance of the draft. 

I think it was a good decision to start Peterman against the Chargers, in spite of it being a road game on the opposite coast and in spite of Bosa and Ingram. I actually worry more about his having to face KC and the Pats. But if they waited to start him until after those games it would likely be too late on the assumption that he potentially improves our chances of making the playoffs, and I think the braintrust would rather roll the dice than simply foreclose on the possibility. I expect him to have some success in LA.

In terms of his skillset I do think the main issue is arm strength. I understand where people are coming from when they say that he has enuf to execute the WCO. And it looks to me as though his arm is average, so not actually bad. But I would like to see a little more zip on his intermediate throws. A little bit more can actually mean a lot. The difference might not even be that perceptible to the untrained eye, but it could be crucial. If he had had that on display at Syracuse I think he would have gone a lot higher in the draft. 

Can hardly wait to see how he makes on Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it's a ridiculous theory. These guys had no trouble trading away one of the three most talented players on the team for a second round pick. Then had no problem trading away another one of the three for a sixth round pick. They obviously have no problem disrupting the locker room or caring what the fans think, and they shouldn't care what the fans think. Even if we made the playoffs backing in and TT did not play well they would have no qualms or hesitance getting rid of him before next year, saying he has taken them as far as he could.

Not sure I agree with Carucci on this simply because it's a moot point since we weren't going to the playoffs with Taylor anyway. Also I've made contact with various sources today and they confirmed this change was more about how far along Peterman has come since training camp and has outplayed Taylor in practice for weeks and that this team simply needed a spark to keep their faint playoff hopes alive.

Hopefully in these next 7 games (and possibly more) Peterman shows why he has all the tools to be a franchise QB. My gut feeling tells me good things are about to happen regardless.

4 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Not sure I agree with Carucci on this simply because it's a moot point since we weren't going to the playoffs with Taylor anyway. Also I've made contact with various sources today and they confirmed this change was more about how far along Peterman has come since training camp and has outplayed Taylor in practice for weeks and that this team simply needed a spark to keep their faint playoff hopes alive.

Hopefully in these next 7 games (and possibly more) Peterman shows why he has all the tools to be a franchise QB. My gut feeling tells me good things are about to happen regardless.

Right, your sources.  Well it is a bit different when you are posting under your real name like JW does and everyone knows you are not full of crap compared to total anonymity and a good six months of stirring the pot.

I will call BS on you and your sources.

Edited by simool

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

Oh Jesus, man............a 6 1/2 hour drive to watch that filth against the Saints.

I know this doesn't help much, but i am so sorry that this team did that to you, man. In fact, the FO at OBD owes every one of its fans an honest apology for what we've all witnessed the past 2 weeks.

Hey, I drove 10 hours to see our Bills beat Bucs.  I think an alien took over TT's body 2 weeks later.  I agree that TT is toast.

What a bunch of crap. Film doesn't lie. TT failed to pull the trigger on open receivers time and time again because he simply can't anticipate a break. He holds the ball longer than any QB on the league. DC's figured him out. Shut the run, keep him in the pocket and it's game over. We'd finish

7 - 9, or possibly 8 - 8 with him the rest of the way. Time for a change.