Small Sample Size....Yes - Garbage Time....Maybe Not As Much As You Think

sven233

Obviously this is a big change and I am in full support of the decision.  Could it turn out to be a complete disaster?  Sure.  But I am one that truly believes we have seen both Taylor's floor and ceiling.  We're not going to win a Championship with Tyrod Taylor at QB.  In the end, that's really all this game is about.

That said....Peterman could be great, or he could be terrible.  That remains to be seen.  There isn't a lot of information to go off of yet.  We likely won't have enough information even if he plays the rest of the season.  I mean, there might be so glaring weaknesses in his game that we will be able to spot right away and maybe they won't be correctable.  One of the biggest concerns I have is about his arm.  Not sure he has NFL arm strength.  But, there are a lot of QBs in this league, including some of the very best, that don't have the biggest arm in the world, but they know how to mask it by making quicker decisions and getting the ball out sooner than normal to compensate for that.  Will Peterman have that trait?  We don't know yet.

Anyway, the point of my post was to link to this pretty good write-up about Peterman's debut.  It's easy to say this was garbage time, etc..... but I think there is enough information here to show that even though it was garbage time, it wasn't like the Saints were just sitting back letting the Bills do what they wanted.  Take a look.  Many of you are familiar with these guys already, but they really do some great work.

http://www.cover1.net/qb-nathan-peterman-showed-of-his-skillset-in-the-4th-quarter/

Is Peterman the answer?  Nobody knows.  But it's at least going to be interesting to watch and find out......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

it is a small sampling but you can see he has the instincts, the footwork, the anticipation, the poise.  the arm strength is questionable but he will have a chance to prove that.  also keep in mind, throwing at the correct time makes your arm look stronger than it is because the ball is there when it needs to be regardless.  i'm excited to see how he plays on Sunday

59 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Obviously this is a big change and I am in full support of the decision.  Could it turn out to be a complete disaster?  Sure.  But I am one that truly believes we have seen both Taylor's floor and ceiling.  We're not going to win a Championship with Tyrod Taylor at QB.  In the end, that's really all this game is about.

That said....Peterman could be great, or he could be terrible.  That remains to be seen.  There isn't a lot of information to go off of yet.  We likely won't have enough information even if he plays the rest of the season.  I mean, there might be so glaring weaknesses in his game that we will be able to spot right away and maybe they won't be correctable.  One of the biggest concerns I have is about his arm.  Not sure he has NFL arm strength.  But, there are a lot of QBs in this league, including some of the very best, that don't have the biggest arm in the world, but they know how to mask it by making quicker decisions and getting the ball out sooner than normal to compensate for that.  Will Peterman have that trait?  We don't know yet.

Anyway, the point of my post was to link to this pretty good write-up about Peterman's debut.  It's easy to say this was garbage time, etc..... but I think there is enough information here to show that even though it was garbage time, it wasn't like the Saints were just sitting back letting the Bills do what they wanted.  Take a look.  Many of you are familiar with these guys already, but they really do some great work.

http://www.cover1.net/qb-nathan-peterman-showed-of-his-skillset-in-the-4th-quarter/

Is Peterman the answer?  Nobody knows.  But it's at least going to be interesting to watch and find out......

I think i can call it garbage time when a few of their best defensive players weren't on the field on the drive.

I think you have to throw out at least the first 3 throws.  You should probably throw out the fourth throw, an incompletion as well.  So, now he's 4-6 with about 40 yards and a TD.  Definitely a small sample size, but then again, they aren't making the change based on what they have seen from Peterman in games.  They are making changes based on what they've seen from TT in games.  That is not a small sample size anymore.

I am in favor of the move, btw. 

Edited by dulles

I hope he can hold onto the football. Sunday he bobbled a snap on 4th down resulting in not converting. He also did that at least twice in PS. He hasn't lost one ... Yet.

It's gonna get crowded in the pocket with tomahawks flailing at the football.

Wishing Nasty Nate and the Bills the best ...

Go BILlS !!

This was a very good analysis.  Thanks to the OP for posting this.  I think it all came down to Tyrod versus Dennison.  Dennison is either stubborn or incapable of designing an offense that would be more suitable to Tyrod's talents.  I like Tyrod, but in Dennison's scheme he was clearly a square peg in a round hole.  Peterman is a much better fit.  To Tyrod's credit, he is being a team player.

Also...knowing Lynn's knowledge of Tyrod's ability...and how to defend it, I think this was actually a more advantageous time to make the switch than later in the season.  The way this offense was playing, this team, even though in the lead for a wildcard position at present, really wasn't looking like they were headed in that direction.  If the offense is going to work, it's going to work with Peterman.  The Bills will likely be in a better position next year, one way or the other as well.  If Peterman is successful, the Bills don't need to package a boat load of picks to move up for a QB and can let the draft fall to them.  If he is not successful, they will have a clearer picture of what they need.

DCs will likely take away NP's  hash routes and dig routes.  He's going to have to chuck a few downfield to get the hash to the sideline open.  Arm strength-wise, when he sets and fires before the break, he looks effective. I don't think he's going to be an improviser. Just get the ball, make a read and get rid of it - which would be nice for a change.

2 hours ago, dulles said:

I think you have to throw out at least the first 3 throws.  You should probably throw out the fourth throw, an incompletion as well.  So, now he's 4-6 with about 40 yards and a TD.  Definitely a small sample size, but then again, they aren't making the change based on what they have seen from Peterman in games.  They are making changes based on what they've seen from TT in games.  That is not a small sample size anymore.

I am in favor of the move, btw. 

Because otherwise he doesn't look as good and that makes us sad?

The stuff that Cover1 does is consistently good.   Take the time to go this article.   FIrst, note that it was done BEFORE Peterman was named the starter and it says that Peterman is closer to starting than you might think.  Great call. 

Look at his discussion of the plays.  It's excellent.  It shows Peterman's decision making and quick trigger.   It also discusses what may be Peterman's biggest problem - lack of arm strength.  We'll have to live with that, but the Bills's receiving strength is short and middle, not deep, so Peterman may be a match for those receivers.  

Nicely done. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It shows Peterman's decision making and quick trigger.   It also discusses what may be Peterman's biggest problem - lack of arm strength.  We'll have to live with that,

We'll live with it for about 3 starts. Then we'll start calling him Noodle Arm Nate and start figuring out who we're going to draft.

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

We'll live with it for about 3 starts. Then we'll start calling him Noodle Arm Nate and start figuring out who we're going to draft.

That is what I'm afraid of...not because of Nate's track record, but because of our historical patterns!  

8 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I mean....yeah. Defenses are going to figure out that they need to play man and take away the short-intermediate stuff. Nate will have to cross that bridge when he comes to it. He'll either hit the deep ball or become Capt. Checkdown.

Another shout-out to Cover1.

Definitely worth the $1 subscription.