Blame Dennison if You Want, But it's Not the System

H2o

The offense has struggled, but I don't believe it's Dennison or the system's fault. His system has been successful in multiple places. He learned under Shanahan and Kubiak spending time with Denver, Houston, a stop in Baltimore as a QB coach, and then back to Denver before coming here. 

The OL on the right side was never fixed. They blow up that side of the line every time. Then, because of the right side, they key on the left putting an extra defender or two. The holes for McCoy are nonexistent. The rushing game is not clicking because they can't block anyone in front of them. Terrible OL play. 

We have all seen Tyrod. Most of us knew what he was while others pounded the table for him. He is not the guy. He still exhibits the same deficiencies that he has the last two years. He's a good guy, a hard worker, by all accounts a great teammate, and a decent game manager. He will never be a guy who carries a team with his arm. Peterman should at least be given the month of December to show what he's got. If he looks good then so be it. If not, we HAVE to identify our QB in the draft then make our move. 

The WR talent is now there with Matthews, Benjamin, Jones, Thompson, Holmes, and Clay (when healthy). We have guys who have and can be productive. This again falls on the QB and the OL. The OL has to give the QB time to throw and the QB has to be able to read a defense then deliver an on time ball to the right guy. 

Dennison's system is mainly short to intermediate timing routes with some deep passes mixed in off of play action. The emphasis is on an accurate QB who gets the ball out on time. A lot of times that QB is having to throw the ball to an opening where his guy will be, not waiting until your guy is open to throw it. None of these are strengths for Taylor. If the holes get filled the system will work. 

We all got our hopes up when we won a few. Now everyone is looking for a place to lay the blame. Blame who you want, but I don't see this as Dennison's failure. He does what he can to try to cover up Tyrod's weaknesses, but with 3 years of tape it's damn near impossible. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

The offense has struggled, but I don't believe it's Dennison or the system's fault. His system has been successful in multiple places. He learned under Shanahan and Kubiak spending time with Denver, Houston, a stop in Baltimore as a QB coach, and then back to Denver before coming here. 

The OL on the right side was never fixed. They blow up that side of the line every time. Then, because of the right side, they key on the left putting an extra defender or two. The holes for McCoy are nonexistent. The rushing game is not clicking because they can't block anyone in front of them. Terrible OL play. 

We have all seen Tyrod. Most of us knew what he was while others pounded the table for him. He is not the guy. He still exhibits the same deficiencies that he has the last two years. He's a good guy, a hard worker, by all accounts a great teammate, and a decent game manager. He will never be a guy who carries a team with his arm. Peterman should at least be given the month of December to show what he's got. If he looks good then so be it. If not, we HAVE to identify our QB in the draft then make our move. 

The WR talent is now there with Matthews, Benjamin, Jones, Thompson, Holmes, and Clay (when healthy). We have guys who have and can be productive. This again falls on the QB and the OL. The OL has to give the QB time to throw and the QB has to be able to read a defense then deliver an on time ball to the right guy. 

Dennison's system is mainly short to intermediate timing routes with some deep passes mixed in off of play action. The emphasis is on an accurate QB who gets the ball out on time. A lot of times that QB is having to throw the ball to an opening where his guy will be, not waiting until your guy is open to throw it. None of these are strengths for Taylor. If the holes get filled the system will work. 

We all got our hopes up when we won a few. Now everyone is looking for a place to lay the blame. Blame who you want, but I don't see this as Dennison's failure. He does what he can to try to cover up Tyrod's weaknesses, but with 3 years of tape it's damn near impossible. 

I can completely blame Dennison, because if he's trying to play the system you describe with Taylor as QB, he's a moron.

Taylor does not make quick decisions and is not accurate.  He's an option guy, makes plays outside the pocket, and makes plays over the top (well he used to do this).

The Bills first drive was a good match of Taylor's ability to scheme.  The rest of the game, Dennison nailed Taylor in the pocket and it was a total failure.

If McDermott wants to keep Taylor is the starter, Dennison is going to have to change his play calling.  The goal should be to get Taylor 60 yards rushing, and the scheme should be built off of that.  Expecting Taylor to play from the pocket is suicide.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, estro613 said:

Yea, but Mike Schopp said that Tyrod is good, so I guess I'm supposed to believe him over what my eyes have shown me for the better part of 3 seasons.

Why are you worried about what Mike Schopp says?  Beane and McDermott believe that Taylor is a starting NFL QB.  That's what we all should be worried about.

Edited by Perry Turtle

9 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

I can completely blame Dennison, because if he's trying to play the system you describe with Taylor as QB, he's a moron.

Taylor does not make quick decisions and is not accurate.  He's an option guy, makes plays outside the pocket, and makes plays over the top (well he used to do this).

The Bills first drive was a good match of Taylor's ability to scheme.  The rest of the game, Dennison nailed Taylor in the pocket and it was a total failure.

If McDermott wants to keep Taylor is the starter, Dennison is going to have to change his play calling.  The goal should be to get Taylor 60 yards rushing, and the scheme should be built off of that.  Expecting Taylor to play from the pocket is suicide.

Defenses are forcing him to stay in the pocket because they know he cant beat them from there. When you never throw to wrs it makes game planning for the defense pretty easy

Edited by Pbomb

How is it not mostly Dennison's fault? He took over an offense with the top rushing attack in consecutive years, and (with the same personnel) has dropped it to 14th? 

His playcalling is suspect at best. How many times do we need to run Tolbert up the gut into a stacked box before he can admit that's a bad idea? Or throws to Tolbert in the flat? Pretty much any play featuring Tolbert is a bad idea. 

Teams have been stacking the box against TT since 2015 and our previous coordinators found ways to run the ball effectively. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

McDermott knew what he brought in and thought Dennison could salvage Tyrod due to their familiarity from Baltimore. It hasn't worked. You find a QB and fix the OL then the offense WILL work. They have been bringing in guys to fit what they are doing. QB will be another they do the same with. 

Edited by H2o