Would it be blasphemous to cook Sahlen's in a crock pot with cabbage rather than grilling?

CowgirlsFan

A friend from Buffalo, who lives down here, told me to come over for some Sahlen dogs. I'm not the biggest hot dog guy (many might disagree), but I do love a good grilled Sahlen. Anyway, my bubble was busted  burst when I discovered they weren't the "natural casing" type. Not bad, but a real let down when you expect the "real thing".

And CfG, while a Sahlen is much better grilled, IMO, if you are going to cook hotdogs in a crockpot with cabbage, I'm guessing a Sahlen will taste better than most other dogs. Just guessing as I never cook hotdogs in a crock pot, and I hate despise cooked cabbage.

Edited by The Dean

I just made another quick run back to BFLo/WNY for this past week.  I noticed they sell all beef and skinless versions of Sahlen's... I will give them a whirl.

...I guess the skinless would work in the crockpot as a dirty water dog.  Not sure if they have all beef versions of the skinless.  I have to be honest.  Chicago has changed me the last 30 years with regard to two things:

1. Hot dogs (has to be all beef, boiled, but I will accept char grilled)... Tastes so much better.  "Chicago Style"  neon green relish, celery salt, tomato, dill pickle, mustard, NO ketchup, anf the most important part: boiled/steamed bun w/celery salt AND sport pepper

2.  Combo (Italian Beef & Italian sausage) done: "wet."

Everything else is inferior.

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

A friend from Buffalo, who lives down here, told me to come over for some Sahlen dogs. I'm not the biggest hot dog guy (many might disagree), but I do love a good grilled Sahlen. Anyway, my bubble was busted  burst when I discovered they weren't the "natural casing" type. Not bad, but a real let down when you expect the "real thing".

And CfG, while a Sahlen is much better grilled, IMO, if you are going to cook hotdogs in a crockpot with cabbage, I'm guessing a Sahlen will taste better than most other dogs. Just guessing as I never cook hotdogs in a crock pot, and I hate despise cooked cabbage.

I would do them in a frying pan.  Onions in pan mixed w/mustard... Even better mix in Weber's and get the skinless Sahlen's...

...Do it like a "Maxwell Street" Polish (sausage) or how they would do a Best Kosher @ Sox Park on the SouthSide... Simply to die for.  The smell of that steamed fried onions is outta the world.  Mix it w/Weber's and it would be crazy good.

I am always tempted to hit one of the Maxwell Street Stands here and slip them a jar of Weber's and say: "Try adding this to the fried onion!"  I know it woulf be a hit.  Only thing missing in the equation.

Crap... Now I am working late and have urge to hit an all night Polish stand!

On 11/8/2017 at 3:02 PM, CowgirlsFan said:

No...it's not a troll.

First of all I consider Sahlen's to be a higher caliber type of hot dog ( they certainly aren't the store brand there at Wegmans ) which is why I used the word blasphemous.

It was going to be a rainy day with temps in the 40's  here in Dallas Fort Worth Texas today and I thought the crock pot would be a better option rather than the grill.

I've seen  the responses and have postponed preparing the Sahlen's to a more grill friendly day.

May I now have my tailgating status reinstated?

So , how did it turn out? 

9 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Somewhat related but I made the critical mistake of pan frying white hots last winter. They came out all rubbery. Never again. 

Have you ever had fried bologna? or fried liversausage? Fry either one in butter until the edges turn a little crispy. Put the slices on rye bread with a thin slice of raw onion and loads of mustard. Amazing

7 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Have you ever had fried bologna? or fried liversausage? Fry either one in butter until the edges turn a little crispy. Put the slices on rye bread with a thin slice of raw onion and loads of mustard. Amazing

Do this with Lebanon Bologna.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanon_bologna

Ridiculous flavor.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

1. Hot dogs (has to be all beef, boiled, but I will accept char grilled)... Tastes so much better.  "Chicago Style"  neon green relish, celery salt, tomato, dill pickle, mustard, NO ketchup, anf the most important part: boiled/steamed bun w/celery salt AND sport pepper

Chicago dogs are an abomination unto God and man.

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I just made another quick run back to BFLo/WNY for this past week.  I noticed they sell all beef and skinless versions of Sahlen's... I will give them a whirl.

...I guess the skinless would work in the crockpot as a dirty water dog.  Not sure if they have all beef versions of the skinless.  I have to be honest.  Chicago has changed me the last 30 years with regard to two things:

This is where I disagree. I think all beef dogs are bland, for the most part. I like Sahlen because they have some pork in them (hurray for pork!) and natural casings.

Oh, and I know this is weird, but I eat my dogs naked---on a good bun. A good dog should stand on it's own without condiments. Oh, I can have a Whistle Pig, too: Bacon and Cheese sauce.