Would it be blasphemous to cook Sahlen's in a crock pot with cabbage rather than grilling?

CowgirlsFan

Why, for the love of Christ, would you want to try and church upba hot dog with cabbage, and cook the whole mess in a crock pot???? The only acceptable way to cook a hot dog is with direct heat, preferably a grill.... if you want to eat something with cabbage, buy a ham or corned beef.... surely this is a troll job..... right???

2 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

Why, for the love of Christ, would you want to try and church upba hot dog with cabbage, and cook the whole mess in a crock pot???? The only acceptable way to cook a hot dog is with direct heat, preferably a grill.... if you want to eat something with cabbage, buy a ham or corned beef.... surely this is a troll job..... right???

No...it's not a troll.

First of all I consider Sahlen's to be a higher caliber type of hot dog ( they certainly aren't the store brand there at Wegmans ) which is why I used the word blasphemous.

It was going to be a rainy day with temps in the 40's  here in Dallas Fort Worth Texas today and I thought the crock pot would be a better option rather than the grill.

I've seen  the responses and have postponed preparing the Sahlen's to a more grill friendly day.

May I now have my tailgating status reinstated?

3 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

No...it's not a troll.

First of all I consider Sahlen's to be a higher caliber type of hot dog ( they certainly aren't the store brand there at Wegmans ) which is why I used the word blasphemous.

It was going to be a rainy day with temps in the 40's  here in Dallas Fort Worth Texas today and I thought the crock pot would be a better option rather than the grill.

I've seen  the responses and have postponed preparing the Sahlen's to a more grill friendly day.

May I now have my tailgating status reinstated?

Don't listen to these guys CGF...you cook your hot dogs however you want. I've already reported their snarky comments to the moderators.

36 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

Will only consider reinstatement if you bring the turkey fryer and 5 packs of dogs to the next tailgate... nothing better than a deep fried dog....

You are more than welcome to bring some dogs and throw them in the fryer post hame if you are able to hang around this weekend. We were deep frying the crap out of some god awful pastrami bacon I made at the opener, made it quire edible!

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

You are more than welcome to bring some dogs and throw them in the fryer post hame if you are able to hang around this weekend. We were deep frying the crap out of some god awful pastrami bacon I made at the opener, made it quire edible!

When in doubt....FRY IT! Shoe laces might be tasty if you get them crispy enough! 

9 hours ago, Augie said:

The stand out feature of a Sahlen’s dog is the casing, and it’s largely wasted if it’s not put over FIRE. 

This.  The natural casing defines the hot dog.  It needs to be char grilled.

Now... A Chicago "dirty water dog" works because Vienna Beef, Red Hot Chicago, Best Kosher (Defunct) brands are skinless.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

When in doubt....FRY IT! Shoe laces might be tasty if you get them crispy enough! 

MIGHT is the critical word.

Sahlen's skin has to be split with a knife prior to or during grilling only!

32 minutes ago, dhg said:

What's next? Ketchup on a hot dog?

I’m sorry, but I’ll put just about everything and anything on a hot dog... including ketchup.  I was at the beach one day shortly after moving to Sarasota, FL (Siesta Key) and I got a hot dog at the Pavilion. I loaded it up with mustard, relish, ketchup, and some onions. Very HEAVY on the toppings. After a bite I stand and gaze out to the Gulf and all the people down by the water. Then...I feel a tug! At my hot dog!! I turn to see a sea gull trying to steal my dog!!! SHOCKED, I ripped my hand away to defeat the dirty bird! Well, all those lovely toppings thoroughly coated the lovely lady sitting at the picnic table next to me.  NOT my finest moment, but she was quite gracious and just walked over to the shower. :mellow:

Edited by Augie

Just now, Augie said:

I’m sorry, but I’ll put just about everything and anything on a hot dog. I was at the beach one day shortly after moving to Sarasota (Siesta Key) and I got a hot dog at the Pavilion. I loaded it up with mustard, relish, ketchup, and some onions. HEAVY on the toppings. After a bite I gaze out to the Gulf and all the people down by the water. Then...I feel a tug! At my hot dog!! I turn to see a sea gull trying to steal my dog!!! SHOCKED, I ripped my hand away to defeat the dirty bird! Well, all those lovely toppings thoroughly coated the lovely lady sitting at the picnic table next to me.  NOT my finest moment, but she was quite gracious and just walked over to the shower. :mellow:

True story.  You would never see a seagull steal food from you on Navy Pier in Chicago.  You know why?  They spray Dime Pier (the pier between Navy Pier and the Chi Harbor Lock w/seagull pheromones.  The birds are too busy getting jiggy wit it!

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m sorry, but I’ll put just about everything and anything on a hot dog. I was at the beach one day shortly after moving to Sarasota (Siesta Key) and I got a hot dog at the Pavilion. I loaded it up with mustard, relish, ketchup, and some onions. HEAVY on the toppings. After a bite I gaze out to the Gulf and all the people down by the water. Then...I feel a tug! At my hot dog!! I turn to see a sea gull trying to steal my dog!!! SHOCKED, I ripped my hand away to defeat the dirty bird! Well, all those lovely toppings thoroughly coated the lovely lady sitting at the picnic table next to me.  NOT my finest moment, but she was quite gracious and just walked over to the shower. :mellow:

I don't normally put ketchup on a hot dog, but sometimes I do.  I think it's one of those "popular" things to fall in line with.  Sometimes I love a dog with just ketchup and mustard.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

True story.  You would never see a seagull steal food from you on Navy Pier in Chicago.  You know why?  They spray Dime Pier (the pier between Navy Pier and the Chi Harbor Lock w/seagull pheromones.  The birds are too busy getting jiggy wit it!

They just string us fishing lines down there. Slows them down....

Where do I get some of these... I mean does it work for....

Never mind....

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I don't normally put ketchup on a hot dog, but sometimes I do.  I think it's one of those "popular" things to fall in line with.  Sometimes I love a dog with just ketchup and mustard.

Teds chili sauce is a “spicy ketchup’ in a way. And I LOVE it with a pickle. My wife got me into just yellow mustard and onions, which works for me too. 

OK, I’m officially hungry.... 

In the old days, I could go a decade without grilling a hot dog....until Publix started carrying Sahlens. THAT just became my next game day meal.  :)

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Never say too late!

Does that mean I should buy Pfizer stock?  

Naw,   it’s just she works her tail off while I...work to find things to do. She’s too busy to do the things I find at the top of my “to do” list. 

10 hours ago, Augie said:

Naw,   it’s just she works her tail off while I...work to find things to do. She’s too busy to do the things I find at the top of my “to do” list. 

Sounds like you need a girlfriend