Would it be blasphemous to cook Sahlen's in a crock pot with cabbage rather than grilling?

CowgirlsFan

47 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

That does sound amazing and I will now have to try it. You’re killing my calories though!!! 

I think I mentioned it here before... Wacka probably knew the place in Cheektowaga.  It was on Harlem & Clinton.  Small little diner: "Franks."  Frankie basically invented the sandwhich (in 1950s) and called it a: "Helicopter Sandwich."  It was a fried Baloney and onion sandwhich... I forget what else was on it.  Kinda looked like a "Helicopter."  Frankie and my dad were childhood friends. I think he was a Marine, my dad Army. We would go there after my dad would drag me to the VA for one of his appointments.  This was during the early 1970s.  I was born in 1968... I was about 4-5, before I was kindergarten.  They'd talk about serving during the Korean War almost 20 years early... Sit at the counter, while right behind he'd fry up the sandwich.  Classic diner, booth/tables on side, grill behind counter.  Such fuzzy memories being so young.

I was really young and a few thing I remember, but out of those fuzzy memories, I remember more vividly the diner and the name of that sandwich.  My father would have been in his mid-30s... I thought it was "old people food"... :lol:. I would get the grilled cheese, fries, and Coke! Now @ Friendly's it would have been a "Coke float."

Helos... They saw first service during the Korean War?  Right, kinda makes sense to name the sandwich that. The sliced onion and thick slab of baloney on a Kaiser bun would resemble the rotor on a hehelicopter.

Another highlight of my youth was my father taking me to the Coast Guard Station in BFLo to the CGX (Coast Guard Exchange) to get his tax free carton of cigarettes.  I'd always feign that I had to piss when we got to Ohio Street (where the teenagers would drag race)... My father would let me get out and piss in Lake Erie, by the coal/salt dock slip.

Ah... The memories of my youth.  Helicopter sammys and pissing in Lake Erie!

;):D

3 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

Chicago dogs are an abomination unto God and man.

They were the first hot dog style invented.:P

On 11/10/2017 at 11:30 AM, The Dean said:

This is where I disagree. I think all beef dogs are bland, for the most part. I like Sahlen because they have some pork in them (hurray for pork!) and natural casings.

Oh, and I know this is weird, but I eat my dogs naked---on a good bun. A good dog should stand on it's own without condiments. Oh, I can have a Whistle Pig, too: Bacon and Cheese sauce.

Any dogs that aren’t all beef are not just mixed with pork, but are mixed with all things that they couldn’t make into something more profitable.... grandpa used to call it “breasts, tails, and touch holes”..... mmmm he made it sound so appetizing 

On 11/10/2017 at 1:36 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think I mentioned it here before... Wacka probably knew the place in Cheektowaga.  It was on Harlem & Clinton.  Small little diner: "Franks."  Frankie basically invented the sandwhich (in 1950s) and called it a: "Helicopter Sandwich."  It was a fried Baloney and onion sandwhich... I forget what else was on it.  Kinda looked like a "Helicopter."  Frankie and my dad were childhood friends. I think he was a Marine, my dad Army. We would go there after my dad would drag me to the VA for one of his appointments.  This was during the early 1970s.  I was born in 1968... I was about 4-5, before I was kindergarten.  They'd talk about serving during the Korean War almost 20 years early... Sit at the counter, while right behind he'd fry up the sandwich.  Classic diner, booth/tables on side, grill behind counter.  Such fuzzy memories being so young.

I was really young and a few thing I remember, but out of those fuzzy memories, I remember more vividly the diner and the name of that sandwich.  My father would have been in his mid-30s... I thought it was "old people food"... :lol:. I would get the grilled cheese, fries, and Coke! Now @ Friendly's it would have been a "Coke float."

Helos... They saw first service during the Korean War?  Right, kinda makes sense to name the sandwich that. The sliced onion and thick slab of baloney on a Kaiser bun would resemble the rotor on a hehelicopter.

Another highlight of my youth was my father taking me to the Coast Guard Station in BFLo to the CGX (Coast Guard Exchange) to get his tax free carton of cigarettes.  I'd always feign that I had to piss when we got to Ohio Street (where the teenagers would drag race)... My father would let me get out and piss in Lake Erie, by the coal/salt dock slip.

Ah... The memories of my youth.  Helicopter sammys and pissing in Lake Erie!

;):D

They were the first hot dog style invented.:P

You should start all these things with

”once upon a time, in a land far, far away...”

43 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

Any dogs that aren’t all beef are not just mixed with pork, but are mixed with all things that they couldn’t make into something more profitable.... grandpa used to call it “breasts, tails, and touch holes”..... mmmm he made it sound so appetizing 

First of all, not all non-all beef hot dogs are the same. Some have just pork added. Some have chicken, pork, etc.

As far as I know, most hot dogs (all beef or otherwise) include the "scraps" (to use a gentle term) from that animal. You don't believe the "tails and touch holes" from cows are used in many all-beef dogs? (Do cows have a touch hole?)  Of course, they also use some good parts. What is actually in there depends on the quality/integrity/etc of the manufacturer. I don't believe Walmart brand all-beef hot dogs are the same as Hebrew National. 

50 minutes ago, The Dean said:

First of all, not all non-all beef hot dogs are the same. Some have just pork added. Some have chicken, pork, etc.

As far as I know, most hot dogs (all beef or otherwise) include the "scraps" (to use a gentle term) from that animal. You don't believe the "tails and touch holes" from cows are used in many all-beef dogs? (Do cows have a touch hole?)  Of course, they also use some good parts. What is actually in there depends on the quality/integrity/etc of the manufacturer. I don't believe Walmart brand all-beef hot dogs are the same as Hebrew National. 

This has been quite enlightening to me with this discussion.  I'm like you that the Walmart brand of hot dogs is  no way the same as Hebrew National, Nathan's nor Sahlen's. 

25 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

What are you doing shopping at Walmart??? Those anti-union Butt heads!

I don't shop at Walmart. I only used Walmart because it was the example. I shop at Kroger. Spend so much you get points. Those points lead to anywhere from 3¢ off a gallon of gas  to a $1.00 off a gallon of gas  Kroger has their house brand too yet as I said it's no where near the quality of Hebrew, Nathan's or Sahlen's.

Edited by CowgirlsFan
Misspelling

On 11/8/2017 at 10:21 PM, Augie said:

They just string us fishing lines down there. Slows them down....

Where do I get some of these... I mean does it work for....

Never mind....

Teds chili sauce is a “spicy ketchup’ in a way. And I LOVE it with a pickle. My wife got me into just yellow mustard and onions, which works for me too. 

OK, I’m officially hungry.... 

In the old days, I could go a decade without grilling a hot dog....until Publix started carrying Sahlens. THAT just became my next game day meal.  :)

You haven't lived till you've had a yoccos dog.

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

You haven't lived till you've had a yoccos dog.

Where can you get them? We had Sahlens for game day dogs yesterday, and, well.....that didn’t turn out to be my best game day combo. The dogs were fine, the game was like a river of poop.  :wacko: