Anybody thinking our wins look a little less impressive...

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They all count whether "impressive" or not.  You line up against the opponent each week and if you're victorious there's no need to apologize for the success.  In the infamous words of Dickie J, "It's hard to win in the NFL".

Yeah but some fans like to look down the road, especially if some $$$ is at stake.

23 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

At the time, the wins over Denver, Atlanta, Oakland, and Tampa Bay looked like signature wins.  But those teams are not living up to expectations this season - none is above .500 right now.

With 6 of our final 8 games against teams currently .500 or better are we about to get gut-punched back to reality?

I'm trying to trust the process and not compare to past Bills teams, but it's tough...

Yes this is my main concern and why my gut feeling tells me we are in store for another 2008/2011 type of finish to the season including a lengthy losing streak over next month.

And in hindsight even looking at our win against the Jets in week one where many felt we barely beat a 'bad' team, we barely beat a middle of the pack team like us. And in some of games even getting multiple turnovers wasn't enough (Bengals) or barely enough  (Bucs).

I give credit for McD having a woefully average roster devoid of talent playing as hard as they have but I think the feel good story is pretty much over.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think someday Bills fans will move on from this mindset but we’ve been hurt too much for too long. I don’t think Patriots fans care that they barely beat 2-7 Tampa Bay because their FG kicker sucked, they just accept the win and move on.

When you're the Patriots and have established a winning reputation over the course of years, of course you can accept barely scraping by a bad team.

When you haven't made the playoffs this millenium and you are a perennial bad to mediocre team, everyone is reading the tea leaves to see if there is a sign you have actually progressed to a good team.  I personally don't think the wins are particularly impressive in retrospect.  Further, you could make a plausible case that for whatever differences there might be between McD and Jauron, this is still largely a veteran team of overachievers who "bought in."  That means one has a slight edge in the close games where veteran leadership might tilt the game your way.

Who would you rather be right now, the Rams with a young signal caller that seems to have turned the corner towards franchise qb with young talent on both sides of the ball and a qb whisperer for head coach or this group of Bills?  The former seems to me clearly a team on the rise.  We might get there, but I think this team is a question mark.  They need to hit on a lot of draft picks and infuse youth and more talent.  Character and buying into the process needs the spice of a few superstars if you're going to be a consistent Super bowl contender.

The upside is most have probably got all the whining and anger out of their

system and are past the denial stage into acceptance after the jet debacle,

so the outcome of the saints game will be less morose, in a  few weeks we will be

comfortably steeped in draft talk.

NOPE.

If the Bills played the Colts and Browns on repeat every week, then yes, no big deal.

The NFL is comprised of about 3 good teams and a bunch of average teams, so 5-3 tells me that they are one of the better average teams and have a good chance to continue that throughout the rest of the year.  I'd be surprised if they didn't make the playoffs, their only real competition for the 2 spots are the Titans/Jags, Ravens, and maybe a team like SD.  Other than that, those other teams won't get there.

Do I expect the Bills to win the Super Bowl or even go very far in the playoffs, no.  But I do expect them to finish either 9-7 or 10-6 and get a Wild Card birth.

Wait, I forgot the Dolphins are going to run the table and win it all.  They are a probably the second best team in the league despite their record, next to the Pats of course...  *sarcasm*

Edited by dubs

28 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

At the time, the wins over Denver, Atlanta, Oakland, and Tampa Bay looked like signature wins.  But those teams are not living up to expectations this season - none is above .500 right now.

With 6 of our final 8 games against teams currently .500 or better are we about to get gut-punched back to reality?

I'm trying to trust the process and not compare to past Bills teams, but it's tough...

I agree.   Halfway through I'm thinking the Bills are an average to slightly above average team.   They play hard, they're well prepared, which allows them to compete every week.  But you can say that about a lot of teams. 

I'm thinking that the problem with the Bills is that they're a little short of talent, which results from two things:   Players on board don't fit the schemes (the typical problem when you change coaches) (I think Preston Brown is one of those) and players McDermott and Beane unload who didn't have the attitude they wanted (Watkins, Dareus, maybe one or two more).    McD and Beane undertand this - that's why they loaded up on picks for 2018, and traded one of those picks for Benjamin.  

Bottom line, I'm not prepared to finish 8-8.  I'm not predicting that, but if they go 8-8 I'm okay.    I think next year's Bills will have 4 or 5 starters who fit the system better, and 100% of the team will be on board with the process.   That's when I expect 10 wins or more.   Ten this season would be a nice surprise.  

34 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

I think the patriots should also take the unimpressive wins out of their stat sheet

Oh wait...that is not how it works

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

The Saints' wins look worse.

Actually they do very much so....Good point....they got Carolina right after we played them....plus chicago-TB-Miami-Lions are teams we have beaten (TB) or teams we can beat fairly easily (chi-mia-lions) IMO......

I'm starting to buy into the concept that 9-7 will be enough (but I don't want to have to rely on that). However, I think that 9-7 must come with a win @ LAC (for the H2H and conference tiebreaker) and sweeping MIA (to knock them out and get to 9 wins).

42 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

In a word:

yes.

I see a 4 game losing streak upcoming.

50 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Unfortunately, I agree.....I think we see a surprise win, but otherwise, based on the above information and the last JETS game, it seems more like 2011 than 1995....

53 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Look at it like this, in the past we likely would have lost 3 of those games at least. Now move one loss to the win column of each team. Looks a bit better now.