9 wins will get Bills to playoffs if....

Big Turk

54 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

LOL. Funny thing is, I think that happened two years ago. We controlled our own destiny when a bunch of other teams lost....and then we proceeded to **** the bed.

It's a fun part of the season if it's not working out, we'll have 12 Playoff Machine thread torquing 50 games to squeak in.

One year on BBMB the Bills were 100% mathematically eliminated and 6 fans insisted there was a way to get in, quite tendentiously I might add.

31 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Actually suprisingly little has to go right in comparison to most years

little as in winning at least 5 remaining games?

Nine wins almost always means you're relying on tie-breakers.   It also means only 4 or sometimes 5 teams win 10.   It means a lot of teams have to go 8-8 and 7-9.   It happens, but I think the history has been 9 wins isn't a very good way to make the playoffs or, more importantly, to win in the playoffs.  

36 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Call me naïve, but I am optimistic for our chances.

However wouldn't it be funny if we beat the difficult teams (Chiefs, Patriots 2x, Saints), and lost to the bad teams the other 4, and didn't get in? That would be the most Billsy way to miss the playoffs. I mean at the beginning of the season would you see us:

Beating:

Broncos

Falcons

Buccanears

Raiders

Saints

Patriots

Chiefs

And losing to:

Jets

Dolphins

Colts

Bengals

Panthers

Chargers

Which brings me to my final point. Last years schedule is meaningless, so don't bother whining in April about how we have a tough one.

I don't believe you would mentally disagree to replacing the New England games with the Browns as an opponent, so you have SOME OPINIONS (and 100% rightly so on prior schedules...)  :D

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

BBFS 
Give me 10 and I'll feel more secure. 

Ten would feel very secure. But I am not expecting that because they would have to steal one of KC,NE, or NOLA and lets be honest its the Bills. Even when they break the drought (hopefully this year) its gonna be a heck of a ride where I am sure we need a little help.

40 minutes ago, Augie said:

It sounds so easy when put like that! But what Billsy way will we find to mess it up? 

Losing games we should win. Something like this: dominating a whole game vs the pats, missing repeated chances on offense to put the foot on their throat and go up two scores, only being up 6, and letting in that go ahead TD (to chris hogan) with 3 min left. Offense comes back out to get sacked twice and peter away a win.

Edited by DC Greg

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

When was the last time we had a clutch game on the West coast?

It's been awhile...the year we could have gone to the playoffs by beating Pitt in the finale, I think the Bills won in Seattle

@SF in 1992

@ LA Raiders in 1991

I can't remember any others

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

It's a fun part of the season if it's not working out, we'll have 12 Playoff Machine thread torquing 50 games to squeak in.

One year on BBMB the Bills were 100% mathematically eliminated and 6 fans insisted there was a way to get in, quite tendentiously I might add.

little as in winning at least 5 remaining games?

No as in only needing to win 4 games. 9 wins is going to do it in the AFC this year. Maybe even 8 although then it would come down to a bunch of tie breakers. There are just a lot of bad to mediocre teams in the AFC

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

Ten would feel very secure. But I am not expecting that because they would have to steal one of KC,NE, or NOLA and lets be honest its the Bills. Even when they break the drought (hopefully this year) its gonna be a heck of a ride where I am sure we need a little help.

Honestly screw KC and NE.  On any given Sunday 

KC is beatable, so is NE, so are the Saints, Chargers and Fish.  

This seems hypocritical but 

I may not be  confident in the team but I'm not throwing in the towel either! 

I was using the New York Times playoff simulator to see how the Bills could get in with a 9-7 record.  It is actually very feasible.

I have the Bills winning @ Chargers, home to Colts, home to Dolphins and @ Dolphins.  That gives the Bills a 9-7 record, 3-3 division record and 7-5 conference record.

When I put the outcomes of the other games, I didn't put anything unreasonable.  For example, I have Baltimore beating the Browns, Colts, Cincy and one other team to get to 8-8.  I have Miami losing to the Pats twice and I think they end up 7-9 or 8-8.  I have Jacksonville winning the South and Tennessee getting the 5th seed.

So Baltimore gets to 8 losses, Miami 8 losses, the Jets get to 8 losses, and then the only other team I would consider would be Oakland, and we have the tiebreaker on them, not to mention they play the Pats, Chiefs, Chargers.  I think 9 wins will get us in in many cases.

They screwed the pooch losing to the Bengals and Jets.   I think 9 gets them there this year but beware of a late year surge by the Ravens, I know it sounds crazy but I imagine they will be the toughest competition for the 6th spot.

Anyone thinking we will split with the Patriots, please stop.  Bottom line is you have to beat the Colts, Chargers and Dolphins twice.  Thats the most feasible way to get it done.