How much impact will Benjamin have Sunday?

JM2009

I don't expect him to be much more than a decoy this week, with not more than a few targets. He needs to build that timing/reading relationship with Tyrod, which, I imagine, is hard to do with just a couple practices.

That said, however, I am not opposed to Tyrod feeding him the ball all game for 200+ yards and 4 TDs...

12 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I don't expect him to be much more than a decoy this week, with not more than a few targets. He needs to build that timing/reading relationship with Tyrod, which, I imagine, is hard to do with just a couple practices.

That said, however, I am not opposed to Tyrod feeding him the ball all game for 200+ yards and 4 TDs...

How many quarters you planning on them playing?

Any hope we have of winning this game this week or even keeping it close for that matter will rely on the usual formula of getting McCoy going for long sustained drives on offense, limiting the Saints to FG's instead of TD's and presumably getting a few turnovers.

But even with all that it probably won't be enough against a well oiled machine with a very shrewd coach like Sean Payton who knows how to exploit a teams weakness.

2 hours ago, JM2009 said:

I think quite a bit. Esp. since he is familiar with playing against the Saints. He could be the difference in this game.

I applaud you for just remembering KB is a Bill. I thought it was odd we haven't had a single KB thread since the "will he be active for the Jets?" thread. 

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

Isn't Clay returning for the Saint game too?  Clay and Benjamin will be a huge boost for our offense.  And Zay is starting to turn it on.  Our offense should be much improved second half of season

Clay is day-to-day I think officially, but I have high hopes he's back this week.

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

Isn't Clay returning for the Saint game too?  Clay and Benjamin will be a huge boost for our offense.  And Zay is starting to turn it on.  Our offense should be much improved second half of season

They should both have a sizable impact, as Taylor has shown he's looking for new weapons - witness the immediate use of Deonte Thompson, or the continual targeting of Jones even when he seemed buried in a funk. But the real issue with the offense is the running game, at home vs away. The numbers :

Taylor is averaging 204 yards passing a game, with a small difference between home & away : 218 (H) and 190 (A)

The running backs average 91 yards a game, but the difference between home & away is much larger : 125 (H) and 57 (A)

Maybe this is just a fluke caused by a few bad games in a small sample size, but it looks both troubling and weird.

Edited by grb

Tyrod is going to have to change his mindset and start throwing to a single covered receiver who may not be "open" in his eyes, because he needs to trust Benjamin to make the catch as he doesn't get a lot of separation.

If Tyrod doesn't do that he won't make any impact because he will hardly get the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not looking for individual stats as much as affect on whole offense. How the Saints either fear him or think he's just another guy. How much their safeties creep up to stop Shady. How the field opens up for Zay and DT or OLeary. I think we spread it around a lot this week because of Lattimore so I don't expect big numbers but he could have a big affect. 

I think anyone who is hoping for or expecting a good stat line from KB is likely going to be disappointed.  Its not easy for a WR with no history in an offense or with the QB to come in and have a connection instantly.  Sure its possible, but just not likely because NFL passing is so highly dependent on timing.  

That being said, I do think KB could make a big impact still by just being on the field along with Clay back to now have several people the D has to really account for.  I could also see him make a splash with a couple of key catches to move the chains or even for a TD.  One of our weakest areas has been the redzone, so having KB down there to either draw coverage from others, open the run lanes back up for McCoy, or be a big target for TT will be impactful even if it doesn't always show up on the stat sheet.

5 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I don't expect Benjamin's play to be LARGE right away until he gets acclimated to Taylor and the offense. And by the time he is a solid contributor it might be too little to late in terms of the bills possibly not being in the wildcard mix anymore.

Either way I wouldn't expect much from Benjamin or the entire offense this week against the Saints. Lattimore is playing like Revis Island in it's prime 8 games into his rookie season and will likely be blanketing Benjamin all game long.

Of course you do. I hope Benjamin abuses NEs secondary when the Bills play them.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I applaud you for just remembering KB is a Bill. I thought it was odd we haven't had a single KB thread since the "will he be active for the Jets?" thread. 

I think he may be the difference in the Bills making the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think anyone who is hoping for or expecting a good stat line from KB is likely going to be disappointed.  Its not easy for a WR with no history in an offense or with the QB to come in and have a connection instantly.  Sure its possible, but just not likely because NFL passing is so highly dependent on timing.  

That being said, I do think KB could make a big impact still by just being on the field along with Clay back to now have several people the D has to really account for.  I could also see him make a splash with a couple of key catches to move the chains or even for a TD.  One of our weakest areas has been the redzone, so having KB down there to either draw coverage from others, open the run lanes back up for McCoy, or be a big target for TT will be impactful even if it doesn't always show up on the stat sheet.

I think it's easier than you might think when it's a guy like Benjamin.   You're not necessarily throwing to Benjamin as he makes his cut.  

For example, end zone fade routes.   It doesn't take a lot of time for the QB and a big receiver to refine this route.   Line up as the left end, split out, get a release of the line, and when you cross the goal line, look for the ball up.  QB watches the release of the line, determines that there's no double coverage, delivers the ball.  Will they do that better after a season of practice?   Sure.  Can they do it well enough to have it in the game plan on Sunday?   Sure.  

I do agree that his biggest effect on the game will be as someone who is drawing the attention of the defense.   However, for that work, the Bills need to throw it to him some.   The Saints won't play the entire game focused on Benjamin if he isn't catching a few balls.    

I say four catches for 48 yards, maybe a score.  

I think he’ll work into our offense faster than people expect. Deonte Thompson got 100+ yards fresh off the plane from Chicago, I know he and Tyrod have a little history but it’s not like they had ever played an NFL game together. I expect 50+ yards and hopefully we just keep passing the ball all day.

55 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think he’ll work into our offense faster than people expect. Deonte Thompson got 100+ yards fresh off the plane from Chicago, I know he and Tyrod have a little history but it’s not like they had ever played an NFL game together. I expect 50+ yards and hopefully we just keep passing the ball all day.

He only had 4 catches and though, and half his yards came on one play.  So wasn’t like DT was a high volume contributor that first game.  Plus KB will draw more defensive interest than DT did his first game here and will see the top DBs on the other side.  

So while I get the enthusiasm due to the DT first game, I do think it’s not a fair expectation as KB is going to be game planned for and draw their best defenders when on the field.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think it's easier than you might think when it's a guy like Benjamin.   You're not necessarily throwing to Benjamin as he makes his cut.  

For example, end zone fade routes.   It doesn't take a lot of time for the QB and a big receiver to refine this route.   Line up as the left end, split out, get a release of the line, and when you cross the goal line, look for the ball up.  QB watches the release of the line, determines that there's no double coverage, delivers the ball.  Will they do that better after a season of practice?   Sure.  Can they do it well enough to have it in the game plan on Sunday?   Sure.  

I do agree that his biggest effect on the game will be as someone who is drawing the attention of the defense.   However, for that work, the Bills need to throw it to him some.   The Saints won't play the entire game focused on Benjamin if he isn't catching a few balls.    

I say four catches for 48 yards, maybe a score.  

We are the same page actually, your prediction is in line with what I think is reasonable to expect.

Personally, I'm curious about how having a "big threat" receiver will affect Tyrod's process...  K-Ben is going to be DRAPED in Saints defenders, which SHOULD open up the field for other receivers... I'm also curious about how the addition of K-Ben affects Dennison's game-planning... Size matters... How you use stuff matters more.

You guys kill me. At the end of the day this is one athlete throwing the football to another.

Timing this, practice that. It comes down to what Benjamin is doing on the field when tyrod scrambles and extends plays. My bet is Benjamin will get open and a catch a few nice ones on Sunday.

These are professional athletes and for the most part when the talent is there they can adapt pretty quickly. Nothing helps adapt faster then a little early confidence boost!

Anyways I am sure we are all rooting and hoping for that!

4 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

You guys kill me. At the end of the day this is one athlete throwing the football to another.

Timing this, practice that. It comes down to what Benjamin is doing on the field when tyrod scrambles and extends plays. My bet is Benjamin will get open and a catch a few nice ones on Sunday.

These are professional athletes and for the most part when the talent is there they can adapt pretty quickly. Nothing helps adapt faster then a little early confidence boost!

Anyways I am sure we are all rooting and hoping for that!

I’m sorry, because I hate to come off as rude, but....are you familiar with NFL football?  The QB/WR timing and connection thing is very real. It’s not everything, but it’s a REAL thing. We kill you?