Let’s just say: San Fran or Indy are on the clock..

McBean

So I got to thinking and want to ask you guys.

Lets say Indy or San Fran ends up with the #1 overall pick. Very possible. We know they are NOT drafting a QB. So...

I have a few questions for the board.

1. If you’re Beane, do you make a swing to trade up to #1 overall and get your Franchise QB?

2. What do you guys think it would take in terms of picks to swing it if we finish say 8-8?

3. Would you do it? We have the ammo, but do you build around TT with drafting OL, LB, and DL?

This is a tough one for me. I can’t believe I’m saying this but going into the season I was so anti Tyrod. I wrote him off after Carolina loss. But I think he’s improved this season and feel like he’s good enough to get maybe get us a ring. 

We'd most likely go through another middle of the pack or worse year or two even if we got the QB.  We wouldn't be able to help the aging slow defense which has played well this year but who knows how this no name group would play next year with a bunch of 30 plus year olds on the front 7.  The offensive line also wouldn't be able to be upgraded that much.  I think it would be not smart to throw all of these picks at a QB this year.  There are too many holes on this team.  If we use all of the draft picks to fill the holes and let the QBs compete next year.  If we still think we need a QB, you can trade all your picks next year up to try and grab one after filling a lot of the holes on this team with solid young talent.  Fact is we need to get younger.  We looked really old and tired Thursday.  Stay put and draft to fill the holes on this team.  

12 minutes ago, McBean said:

Lets say Indy or San Fran ends up with the #1 overall pick. Very possible. We know they are NOT drafting a QB. So...

1. If you’re Beane, do you make a swing to trade up to #1 overall and get your Franchise QB?

2. What do you guys think it would take in terms of picks to swing it if we finish say 8-8?

3. Would you do it? We have the ammo, but do you build around TT with drafting OL, LB, and DL?

This is a tough one for me. I can’t believe I’m saying this but going into the season I was so anti Tyrod. I wrote him off after Carolina loss. But I think he’s improved this season and feel like he’s good enough to get maybe get us a ring. 

It’s a tough call. If there is a guy that is a legit franchise guy you have to consider it. You are probably looking at both 1sts, a 2nd and next year’s first. In my head that’s roughly the cost. Let’s say that we are looking at picks 16 & 24. That’s a total value of 1740 (using the draft value chart). The 2nd rounder is 420 and let’s call next year’s 1st 1,000 again (middle of the round). That’s 3,160 and the cost of the 1st overall pick is 3,000. It’s a slight overpay but usually moving up you have to do that. Maybe you can get away with the later of the 2 2nds? 

• Like (+1) 1

A lot would depend on where our pick and KC's pick ended up, assuming we want a top QB in next year's class. I'm still not entirely sure what the staff thinks of TT, but his play down the stretch is also a factor. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s a tough call. If there is a guy that is a legit franchise guy you have to consider it. You are probably looking at both 1sts, a 2nd and next year’s first. In my head that’s roughly the cost. Let’s say that we are looking at picks 16 & 24. That’s a total value of 1740 (using the draft value chart). The 2nd rounder is 420 and let’s call next year’s 1st 1,000 again (middle of the round). That’s 3,160 and the cost of the 1st overall pick is 3,000. It’s a slight overpay but usually moving up you have to do that. Maybe you can get away with the later of the 2 2nds? 

Kirby, do you have any insight into what this staff thinks of TT? 

6 minutes ago, Big C said:

A lot would depend on where our pick and KC's pick ended up, assuming we want a top QB in next year's class. I'm still not entirely sure what the staff thinks of TT, but his play down the stretch is also a factor. 

Kirby, do you have any insight into what this staff thinks of TT? 

They like him. I don’t know if they love him but they like him more than they thought they would. 

22 minutes ago, McBean said:

There are some variables in play that makes this a tough question to answer today.

1.  Our final record:  This will determine our draft position, and I think its safe to assume our first will be higher than KC even if we finish strong, so really this is about our finish.  Without knowing that, we cant really estimate accurately the cost to move up to #1 or even #2.  

2.  How does TT finish the year:  Right now, he's shown improvement in the areas of his game that were the biggest question marks, specifically throwing over the middle and using more of the field.  He has done a good job with that, and considering he's done that with what has been one of the worst group of WR's in the NFL up to this point between Jordan's early injury, Zay's early struggles, and the loss of Clay, there is reason to think it could and should only get better moving forward.  Zay seems like he is turning a corner, Jordan is healthy, Clay is back it looks like and now we got a new toy in Kelvin.  So if TT continues to get better, I doubt the FO is going to invest a heavy amount assets to make a large move up.  

3.  How does the College football season end:  Right now, a lot of top prospects that you would think teams would make big moves for have had years short of expectations, like Darnold and Rosen.  Plus, this draft still has a strong potential to be deep in terms number of intriguing prospects.  Its quite possible the Bills could not trade and still get a guy they like a lot, maybe even covet.   Or they could wait until someone starts to slip and make a trade up that costs a LOT less.  

So, I get why this question is asked, its just really impossible to even come up with a possible plan right now with so many variables that will for sure play a significant role in this draft.  Personally, I think its going to be the case of #3 above...I expect the Bills to take a QB somewhere in the first 3 rounds, regardless even if we finish strong and make the playoffs.  Obviously the worse things go the higher up I think that pick occurs.  I don't expect TT to make a steep decline here on out, so I think the FO will look to stay put on their picks, grab the QB when they feel its the right time and use the rest of the assets to keep filling this roster with more talent.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

They like him. I don’t know if they love him but they like him more than they thought they would. 

Cool, this was my perception of the situation. If TT can continue to build on his season, especially if it ends in playoffs, I imagine trading up for a QB will not be in discussion next year. They would have to LOVE one of the prospects.

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If look what the Rams and Eagles gave up to move up to get Goff and Wentz respectively it be worth it. 

The tricky part is knowing if your getting a Wentz - and NOT an RG3. 

37 minutes ago, McBean said:

We can't give up too much. We will have a lot of holes to fill next season. A couple Oline positions, DT, LB, probably another CB and RB. Can't trade all those picks , we need starters to come from the high choices we have.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

The tricky part is knowing if your getting a Wentz - and NOT an RG3. 

True but it's also having pieces around him to excel. Yet if we can have Benjamin, resign JMatt and a healthy Clay on board we might have some pieces. Yet still need to work on the interior of the O-line and depth at TE and RB but we also have some cap room to make some moves this offseason too. 

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

True but it's also having pieces around him to excel. Yet if we can have Benjamin, resign JMatt and a healthy Clay on board we might have some pieces. Yet still need to work on the interior of the O-line and depth at TE and RB but we also have some cap room to make some moves this offseason too. 

I don’t see Matthews back. He is not good. The Eagles let him go because he was 4 on their depth chart entering a contract year. He is not worth committing $ to.

With the 10th pick in the 2017 NFL draft the Bills select Deshaun Watson.

I don't care how we get it, but we have to take a chance on a quarterback that we passed on last year.  This is a pretty good draft for quarterbacks so it will be a different situation than 2013.  Move up (if you have to) and get your guy.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t see Matthews back. He is not good. The Eagles let him go because he was 4 on their depth chart entering a contract year. He is not worth committing $ to.

As a slot WR I have no issues bringing him back as Benjamin's our number 1 WR and Zay Jones emerging as another threat. This passing offense could be scary as long as we have a QB who knows how to throw the ball in time. 

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

With the 10th pick in the 2017 NFL draft the Bills select Deshaun Watson.

I don't care how we get it, but we have to take a chance on a quarterback that we passed on last year.  This is a pretty good draft for quarterbacks so it will be a different situation than 2013.  Move up (if you have to) and get your guy.

Let's not forget that trading down allowed us to trade up later for Zay. As good as Watson has been it's in part of guys like Hopkins and Fuller in place, if he ended up in Cleveland his numbers might not be as good. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I tend to agree. With Zay apparently returning to form, Benjy>Jones>Holmes>JMatt and we already have the first three locked up next year. 

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

As a slot WR I have no issues bringing him back as Benjamin's our number 1 WR and Zay Jones emerging as another threat. This passing offense could be scary as long as we have a QB who knows how to throw the ball in time. 

He’s probably looking for the type of money Woods got. No way in hell am I giving JMatt $8M a year. He isn’t good and you could replicate his production in the draft. Teams don’t gameplan for him. He’s a limited, big body guy, that will be our number 3.