Let’s just say: San Fran or Indy are on the clock..

McBean

40 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s a tough call. If there is a guy that is a legit franchise guy you have to consider it. You are probably looking at both 1sts, a 2nd and next year’s first. In my head that’s roughly the cost. Let’s say that we are looking at picks 16 & 24. That’s a total value of 1740 (using the draft value chart). The 2nd rounder is 420 and let’s call next year’s 1st 1,000 again (middle of the round). That’s 3,160 and the cost of the 1st overall pick is 3,000. It’s a slight overpay but usually moving up you have to do that. Maybe you can get away with the later of the 2 2nds? 

This isn't a qb year in which a Manning or Luck as draftees are on the market. So I wouldn't be selling off the farm to acquire a prospect who isn't much better than the rest of the three to five upscale prospects. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't make a deal or stand pat to get a Mayfield or Lamar Jackson caliber of prospect. (I'm not limiting the list but giving an example.) As you well know I have often stated that this new regime is rebuilding the roster so there still needs to be many more additions. But it would be a mistake for us to not keep our options open to upgrade the qb position. I'm well aware that your take on this issue is different from mine. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This isn't a qb year in which a Manning or Luck as draftees are on the market. So I wouldn't be selling off the farm to acquire a prospect who isn't much better than the rest of the three to five upscale prospects. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't make a deal or stand pat to get a Mayfield or Lamar Jackson caliber of prospect. (I'm not limiting the list but giving an example.) As you well know I have often stated that this new regime is rebuilding the roster so there still needs to be many more additions. But it would be a mistake for us to not keep our options open to upgrade the qb position. I'm well aware that your take on this issue is different from mine. 

Not that different at all, in fact we are pretty much in line with that post. If the right guy is there, I’m fine pulling the trigger. I don’t think I’d give 3 1sts and a 2nd for the top pick but I like Rosen more than most. I’d be fine with Mayfield or Jackson. I wouldn’t however take a guy to take a guy. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I thought they would try to re-sign Matthews.....until they traded for Benjamin who seems to be a better version of the same type of BIG WR. 

I don’t know this to be the case but I’d imagine that Matthews play had at least some impact on the Benjamin trade. I can’t imagine that the Bills are thrilled with what they’ve gotten from Matthews. 

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not that different at all, in fact we are pretty much in line with that post. If the right guy is there, I’m fine pulling the trigger. I don’t think I’d give 3 1sts and a 2nd for the top pick but I like Rosen more than most. I’d be fine with Mayfield or Jackson. I wouldn’t however take a guy to take a guy. 

Lamar Jackson intrigues me a lot based on his raw potential. I believe his ranking is going to significantly go up as the draft approaches. Although I see him as a raw prospect I consider him to be an exciting prospect that I am willing to invest in. His leap forward from his prior season to this season is a good sign. Mayfield is another qb that I find very enticing. He may be the most productive qb in the draft. I'm not as wary about him as you are. He reminds me of Brees without the pocket instincts at this point. His ability to use the whole field is a reflection of his good vision and ability to process. Please put away the Manziel references when talking about him. They are not appropriate. 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Lamar Jackson intrigues me a lot based on his raw potential. I believe his ranking is going to significantly go up as the draft approaches. Although I see him as a raw prospect I consider him to be an exciting prospect that I am willing to invest in. His leap forward from his prior season to this season is a good sign. Mayfield is another qb that I find very enticing. He may be the most productive qb in the draft. I'm not as wary about him as you are. He reminds me of Brees without the pocket instincts at this point. His ability to use the whole field is a reflection of his good vision and ability to process. Please put away the Manziel references when talking about him. They are not appropriate. 

I’m not wary of Mayfield. I like him a lot. He has “it” imo.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I predicted earlier in the season that I think Mayfield is the guy most likely to end up here if we go QB in the first 2 rounds.  And I still stand by that right now as I think Mayfield is likely a mid to later 1st rounder or 2nd rounder possibly.  And with some of the other QB prospects losing some luster, I think its only elevating Mayfield draft stock.  

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve seen all the other top guys at least a little, but no Mayfield. How tall is he really? I’ve heard anywhere from 5’10”(barely?)-6’1”. Looking forward to the game coming up soon. 

I don’t know this to be the case but I’d imagine that Matthews play had at least some impact on the Benjamin trade. I can’t imagine that the Bills are thrilled with what they’ve gotten from Matthews. 

Just crucify JMatt for one fumble when trying to make a 1st down last week. Not understanding you negativity towards Matthews?

I would rather have Thompson. At least he has a skill set that we are lacking, speed.

Thompson is a decent player but I'm not at all ready to give him a #2 spot. Zay is going to come along. If we have Benjamin, Zay, DT, and then add a real speed guy with some talent, even a Mike Wallace kind of player (who I don't think is very good), along with Clay and OLeary, that could be a pretty good offense. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Thompson is a decent player but I'm not at all ready to give him a #2 spot. Zay is going to come along. If we have Benjamin, Zay, DT, and then add a real speed guy with some talent, even a Mike Wallace kind of player (who I don't think is very good), along with Clay and OLeary, that could be a pretty good offense. 

100% agree

1 minute ago, Real McCoy said:

Just crucify JMatt for one fumble when trying to make a 1st down last week. Not understanding you negativity towards Matthews?

Kirby can certainly speak for himself, but I won’t crucify him over one fumble. He just hasn’t had great production. Now, I’ll be the first to point out and give him credit for playing hurt, so I don’t what he’s really capable of or how to judge him. I do feel Kelvin offers a lot of the same stuff....and we just traded for him. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Let me flip it around, what is impressing you? He’s a number 1 receiver on pace for 42 catches, 478 yards and 2 TDs. 

25 targets in 7 games (21 which that he caught). Is he supposed to pass to himself?  Are we going to crucify KB when he averages less than 4 targets a game as well as has weak stats?

I really never envisioned Matthews as a number #1 WR to begin with. He would be a top notch NFL #2 WR for our team. If we had to pay him Woods money to stay as our #2 WR next year I would have zero problem with that.

KB(1)-JMatt(2)-ZayDay(3) is a fantastic WR core. I'm pumped to see all 3 play 11/11.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

1. If there is a true game changing franchise QB available then yes I would do it without hesitation.

2. A lot

3. See 1

This.  It would be worth it.  This team is a FQB away from being a contender.  It could use more than that, but it would be enough to br8ng it up to that level.

3 hours ago, McBean said:

So I got to thinking and want to ask you guys.

Lets say Indy or San Fran ends up with the #1 overall pick. Very possible. We know they are NOT drafting a QB. So...

I have a few questions for the board.

1. If you’re Beane, do you make a swing to trade up to #1 overall and get your Franchise QB?

2. What do you guys think it would take in terms of picks to swing it if we finish say 8-8?

3. Would you do it? We have the ammo, but do you build around TT with drafting OL, LB, and DL?

This is a tough one for me. I can’t believe I’m saying this but going into the season I was so anti Tyrod. I wrote him off after Carolina loss. But I think he’s improved this season and feel like he’s good enough to get maybe get us a ring. 

1.  I would not be inclined to trade up based on what seems to be available in 2018's draft pool.

2.  Both 1's in 2018.  a  2 in 2018.  a 1 or 2 in 2019.

3.  No.  I don't think there is a legit franchise guy in this draft.  I see a lot of guys with potential, much like the 2017 draft.  And I'm not convinced the Bills don't see Peterman as a guy who could take over in the future with continued development; which is what Tyrod allows.  Tyord does a lot of good things.  No, he is not a Brady, Rodgers type of QB who can take over a game.  But most QB's in the NFL aren't that.  There are a handful.  The rest are QBs who can win games with a good team around them or a guy who is backup  QB masquerading as a starter.  If it I were Beane I would add two LB's with speed, a DT and an OT.  I wouldn't mind if they used one of their picks four picks in round 1 and 2 on a QB, but I want them to use the other picks, not give them up in a trade for a "maybe."  For me the 2018 draft is about building up that front 7 on D and the O line.

34 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

25 targets in 7 games (21 which that he caught). Is he supposed to pass to himself?  Are we going to crucify KB when he averages less than 4 targets a game as well as has weak stats?

I really never envisioned Matthews as a number #1 WR to begin with. He would be a top notch NFL #2 WR for our team. If we had to pay him Woods money to stay as our #2 WR next year I would have zero problem with that.

KB(1)-JMatt(2)-ZayDay(3) is a fantastic WR core. I'm pumped to see all 3 play 11/11.

I like Matthews too.  But trading for Benjamin seems to seel his fate with the Bills.  Matthews, based on his career production is in line for a Robert Woods type of contract.  I don't see any way that Beane pays Matthews his market value and then pays Benjamin his market value (injury and production permitting) a year later.  It would be a lot of money tied up in that position, and Benjamin is Beane's guy from scouting him for Carolina. 

Now if Matthews can be signed for say 4 or 5 million a year, I could see him coming back, but that would seem to be way less than his market value based on recent comps. And remember they still have to re-sign E.J. Gaines too.

...hold pat and play your picks and values accordingly.......didn't the Sammy pick turn the MB world upside down?......how did the riverboat gambles for RG III, Ricky Williams or Herschel Walker turn out?........sure as hell is far from an exact science, bt I'd trust scouting assessments/analyses versus gut or emotions first............