THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Good Gets Bad, Bad Gets Good

Shaw66

The Rockpile Review by Shaw66

Good Gets Bad, Bad Gets Good

Well, it didnt last long. The Bills got to 5-2, the press and fans presumed a win over the Jets and a 6-2 record at the halfway point of the 2017 season. The media love affair with the Bills turned out to be a one-night stand.

Things are back to normal. The Patriots lead the division, the national press will love someone else, and the fans are depressed, want a new quarterback and wonder when all this will end.

The Jets beat the Bills on Thursday night, 34-21, and the score didnt truly reflect the extent to which the Jets dominated Bill. It was a serious, impressive beat down. It also was the latest version of a lesson thats relearned by some team in the NFL every week: its really hard to win in this league. Why? Because every team (even a team that the press and the fans naively believed was tanking) has NFL-quality talent and can play at a high level.

Based on the Bills performance at Met Life, the Bills off-season player-acquisition strategy would seem to be clear: draft and sign a lot of linemen, because the Bills showed Thursday where they are weak. They were pushed around all night on both sides of the ball. They were dominated.

Much of what has been good about the Bills turned bad Thursday night, and some of what has been bad turned good.

Good to Bad

Turnovers. The Bills finally began to cough up the ball. All fumbles are avoidable, and the three the Bills had certainly were. The Matthews and OLeary fumbles were particularly damaging because they occurred in the middle of good-looking drives. They were drive killers. Taylors fumble, although no better, at least came toward the end of the game when the outcome was pretty clear. He was trying to make a play, and nearly succeeded. Still, he has to protect the ball if there was any hope, it ended when the Jets picked up the easy touchdown after he lost it.

Takeaways. Worse yet, the Bills failed to take the ball away from the Jets. Leonard Johnson missed on one clear opportunity. But Ill say this; the lack of takeaways wasnt for lack of trying. I had great seats, on the 40, about three rows behind the Bills bench, and it was interesting how regularly the Bills were working to strip the ball. Some of that is visible on television or from farther away, but up close it was apparent how much emphasis the Bills put on takeaways. Practically every play, someone goes after the ball.

Run game. Stuffed, completely. The revitalized Bills run game disappeared because the Bills were unable to control the line of scrimmage. The Jets took charge and stopped the run cold.

Run defense. Same thing, in reverse. The Bills defensive front seven made some plays, but they were beaten badly often enough that the Jets got 10 first downs rushing on nearly 200 yards. Dareus would have helped but wouldnt have changed the outcome. Run and stop the run still works in the NFL, and the Jets did it.

Tackling. The Bills had more missed tackles than were used to seeing this season. That helped the Jets pile up the yardage.

Penalties. Looked like one of Rexs teams out there. False starts are maddening. Jerry Hughes reverted to his former self. Not good.

The entire box score looks like a Bills box score from a couple of weeks ago, except the Jets have the Bills numbers and the Bills have the opponents numbers.

Bad to Good

It wasnt all bad.

Zay Jones. Looked like a real NFL receiver. Confident, sharp cuts, sure hands, although he catches the ball with his body often. I didnt see the trip when he was injured, but I guessed the defenders play was suspect when the Jets didnt show any replays in the stadium.

The receiving corps generally. I like Matthews. Hes a real professional. Works hard, runs his routes, sure hands. Matthews, Benjamin, Clay, Jones, Holmes and Thompson give the offense plenty to work with.

Humber. Another real professional. He does his job, hes a sure tackler. I hope he returns.

Sideline Views

Its fun to see what goes on on the sideline. Like Shady taking a walk behind the bench just before the opening kickoff, taking a couple of hits of the smelling salts.

Holmes came off the field after Thompsons touchdown, squatted near the punters net, head down, stayed there for 10-15 seconds. Then he walked ten yards back to the bench, put his hands on his knees and bent over the waist for another ten seconds. Looked like he was trying to clear his head.

Sometime in the third quarter McDermott and Frazier had a long conversation about something. Hard to say, but it looked like McD explaining something he wanted to see done.

Hauschka is ALWAYS preparing. One time he had the rubber band loop around his calves, and he was side-stepping, pushing against the resistance. Late in the fourth quarter he was still practicing his kicking stroke. Repetition, repetition, repetition.

Glenn and Incognito are huge. Theyre all big men, but those two really stand out.

Jets cheerleaders doing their version of the Rockettes line and leg kick was awesome.

Michael Irvin walked by. Not my favorite.

What I Liked Best

At the risk of starting a firestorm, what I really liked in the Jets game was Tyrod Taylor. Well see what the second half of the season, but Im pretty much sold on him.

Another night of excellent numbers. He was 29 for 40, 7.1 yards per attempt, 2 TDs. 109 passer rating. And before someone complains that he fattened his numbers in garbage time, he didnt. Through three quarters, he was 15-21 for a 7.8 average per attempt, with one touchdown. 110 passer rating. In the fourth quarter he just continued what hed been doing all game.

And he made a bundle of excellent throws. Both TDs were delivered beautifully, one with zip to Jones and one with touch, deep, to Thompson. He had several excellent throws to receivers over the middle, including a couple to Jones, the fumble plays by Matthews and OLeary.

Plus, hes in complete control. Never seems to be excited, runs the huddle efficiently.

The sacks? It was hard to see from where I sat, but it looked to me like the sacks were on the oline. Taylor was in trouble quickly on those sacks, and he was in trouble from all sides. I didnt see missed receivers, and he often didnt even have a chance to throw the ball away.

His running just complicates things for the defense.

With his full complement of receivers likely to be on the field in 10 days, Im expecting the passing game to move to a higher level.

Its good to have the mini-bye after that loss. Bills will have the opportunity to fix a few things on the lines and time to work Benjamin into the offense.

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full days hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

One more thing: Junk that "heavy" formation with an extra offensive linemen. Six guys who can't get the job blocking are not better than five guys can't get the job done blocking.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1

Good read as usual, thanks. Surprised you said your pretty much sold on Taylor, seems that you have previously been pretty down on him and believed it was one of the upgrades needed. Although Taylor can be frustrating at times I do like him.

I wish when Taylor is able to actually throw the ball, they would do it more.

I really wish that as our wr core improves that we can be more pass focused, I don't want to give up on the run game ( though last night it would have been prudent) but it would be nice to have more faith in the passing game and see more aggressive play calling.

Shaw, you mentioned how the defense was trying to create fumbles. That's served them well for most of the season, but last night I saw a couple of plays where a defender missed a tackle, apparently because he was trying to strip the ball. I'm glad they're aggressive, but the first priority has to be making the tackle. I wonder if Frazier will shift the focus next week.

Shaw, you mentioned how the defense was trying to create fumbles. That's served them well for most of the season, but last night I saw a couple of plays where a defender missed a tackle, apparently because he was trying to strip the ball. I'm glad they're aggressive, but the first priority has to be making the tackle. I wonder if Frazier will shift the focus next week.

Indeed. Sometimes you rip the ball out, sometimes you miss and the guy goes for 75 on what should have been a 6 yard pickup. Sometimes you make a great diving catch for an INT, sometimes the QB hits your DB in the hands and he drops it 5 times before it hits the ground. Turnovers are simply a function of chance.

I wish when Taylor is able to actually throw the ball, they would do it more.

This frustrated me more than anything. Tyrod was playing at his best when he wasnt under pressure and the receivers overall were playing very well except for the 2 fumbles. But we kept running Tolbert into a wall of defenders who were simply better than our offensive linemen. I hate losing a game running the ball to death. If we lose passing because Tyrod is off, fine. At least we get a good luck at him. Losing while running Mike Tolbert into the dirt is just gutless and stupid. Even down 2+ scores we were trying to establish the running game. It was bizarre, like a preseason game.

i dont think i can remember a recent game where the O-line routinely collapsed that hard and fast backward and around tyrod. over and over and over again. within half second he would have a routine 5 man rush engulfing him with relative ease... the front was just completely man handled.

...... and could we please try a 5 or 6 man rush of our own. I think its pretty apparent after the last month that the front four isn't enough. its maddening to watch qb's sit there for 3 or 4 seconds on every 3rd down just waiting for somebody to get open.

good read, shaw. as always. maybe its the fan in me but I think we need to look at the whole first half of the season as an indicator of how this team is made up and not just one game. and with that being said I still like our shot next week at home in front of a raucous crowd vs a very complete N.O. team... win that one and everything changes.... again.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Sacks were mostly the oline, but Tyrod also has some blame with his lack of anticipation (Which we all know is a weak part of his game). A few angles from the camera above showed WR's crossing and gaining separation. Hesitation caused sacks yesterday.

Well, I didn't see this, but I'm sure you're correct to some extent. It took me a while, but I've come to agree with the "lack of anticipation" crowd. I've seen it enough.

BUT - he had a lot of throws where his anticipation was excellent. The one to Jones with defenders on either side of him - I don't think it was late - it was where and when it needed to be. The Jones TD to. The Thompson TD he threw it to the inside to allow Thompson to stay in bounds and curl around the defender.

Although he can improve, I thought last night he looked like a competent professional quarterback. If he should have gotten the ball out on 2 out of 6 sacks, well, fine, there's something he can improve on. But he got the ball out just fine on a lot of plays last night, and he was throwing at guys who were open but well covered - he isn't waiting for guys to be wide open to throw.

In short, I'm beginning to see real progress over his past two seasons.

This frustrated me more than anything. Tyrod was playing at his best when he wasnt under pressure and the receivers overall were playing very well except for the 2 fumbles. But we kept running Tolbert into a wall of defenders who were simply better than our offensive linemen. I hate losing a game running the ball to death. If we lose passing because Tyrod is off, fine. At least we get a good luck at him. Losing while running Mike Tolbert into the dirt is just gutless and stupid. Even down 2+ scores we were trying to establish the running game. It was bizarre, like a preseason game.

Well, Happy, that's their game. I just don't expect to see a pass happy offense from McDermott. He's too conservative for that.

Plus, you need to recognize that through most of the third quarter the score was 10-7 and then 17-7. There was plenty of time left, and the Bills believe they can run the ball.

So while I tend to feel the same way you do, I don't think it was crazy to keep trying to run. The offensive line wasn't pass protecting much better than it was run blocking.

Great read... I'll admit I was bashing TT but that's only cuz I'm able to sit comfortably on my couch and watch replays and decide what he SHOULD of done.

The line never gave TT a chance and he still did the best he could. One of my wow moments last night was when the pocket collapsed on the sides and TT stepped IN the pocket like a Brady move and I was like wow. But instead of pulling the trigger like Brady would of, TT got sacked.

It was an unfortunate way to play on primetime but back to the drawing board. I really hope the coaches make some changes on the Lines of both sides of the ball and playcalling on offense.

Well, I didn't see this, but I'm sure you're correct to some extent. It took me a while, but I've come to agree with the "lack of anticipation" crowd. I've seen it enough.

BUT - he had a lot of throws where his anticipation was excellent. The one to Jones with defenders on either side of him - I don't think it was late - it was where and when it needed to be. The Jones TD to. The Thompson TD he threw it to the inside to allow Thompson to stay in bounds and curl around the defender.

Although he can improve, I thought last night he looked like a competent professional quarterback. If he should have gotten the ball out on 2 out of 6 sacks, well, fine, there's something he can improve on. But he got the ball out just fine on a lot of plays last night, and he was throwing at guys who were open but well covered - he isn't waiting for guys to be wide open to throw.

In short, I'm beginning to see real progress over his past two seasons.

Well, Happy, that's their game. I just don't expect to see a pass happy offense from McDermott. He's too conservative for that.

Plus, you need to recognize that through most of the third quarter the score was 10-7 and then 17-7. There was plenty of time left, and the Bills believe they can run the ball.

So while I tend to feel the same way you do, I don't think it was crazy to keep trying to run. The offensive line wasn't pass protecting much better than it was run blocking.

while I don't disagree I would argue that it IS CRAZY to keep trying to run the rest of the season with Tolbert as your backup if this is gonna be their approach.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

I don't blame Taylor for last night. I will say, however, there are dropbacks when his footwork seems more conducive to taking off and running than planting and throwing. Romo called it 'soft feet' or somesuch a couple of weeks ago. Those big heavy steps don't really set you up for quick passing decisions, though the Jets pressure+delayed LB had quite a bit to do with that.

The pass game is just going to be what it is with Taylor. They need to find a way to deal with that, be it playing better defense or adding something to the run game. At 5-3, after two seasons running a similar style of offense, it's pretty obvious to me at least that's how the Bills are set up to be successful. The margin for offensive success is thinner with this kind of football, but they have to stick to what works...just find a way.

I skip most of the long-winded re-caps, but that’s good stuff. The OLine was horrific, and the tackling was hampered by too many guys trying to strip the ball before the guy was safely contained.

We still have plenty of holes to fill, and that includes on the coaching staff, I’m afraid. But we have draft picks, and deep enough pockets to start over on some staff positions. We’re going in the right direction, even if it doesn’t happen over night.

They are replaying the game now, and for some reason I’m watching. It’s like stopping to look at the car wreck....

while I don't disagree I would argue that it IS CRAZY to keep trying to run the rest of the season with Tolbert as your backup if this is gonna be their approach.

I just can’t imagine what it would look like if Shady was hurt for any significant period of time. I don’t WANT to imagine that!

Shaw thanks again for the great review always a good read.

Like I posted on your previous review this was an important game for our playoff aspirations. The percentage before the game being 5-2 to make the playoffs was 73% now 63%. There is always one game that changes the outcome of the season for the bills and it seems this was the one.

I would love to eat crow if they win next week but I don't think so. I think getting rid of Marcell Dareus will hurt this defense a lot.

I don't blame Taylor for last night. I will say, however, there are dropbacks when his footwork seems more conducive to taking off and running than planting and throwing. Romo called it 'soft feet' or somesuch a couple of weeks ago. Those big heavy steps don't really set you up for quick passing decisions, though the Jets pressure+delayed LB had quite a bit to do with that.

The pass game is just going to be what it is with Taylor. They need to find a way to deal with that, be it playing better defense or adding something to the run game. At 5-3, after two seasons running a similar style of offense, it's pretty obvious to me at least that's how the Bills are set up to be successful. The margin for offensive success is thinner with this kind of football, but they have to stick to what works...just find a way.

I find comments like this unbelievable. The guy completes 75% of his passes, throwing the ball downfield all night (not to the backs), 2 TDs and no interceptions, and your conclusion is that he has problems with his footwork and we'll just have to live with it.

Extrapolate the guy's game over 16 games and its 464 completions (that would be third best in the history of the league), 32 touchdowns and 0 interceptions with a passer rating of 108.9 (25th best in the history of the league), and you're complaining about his footwork not being conducive to throwing. Okay, then, I guess he'll have to work on that footwork.

Edited by Shaw66