Judge: Is Buffalo legit threat to the Pats in the AFCE?

I wuz in Nashville in 1999. That team could have won the SB, the defense was that good. Home Run Throwback aka "Music City Miracle".

Not to get off track, but after that game I was plagued with visions for months that the Bills went on to the win the SB that year if they beat the Titans. Also involved Rob Johnson getting hurt in the next game and the little general starting again and leading the Bills to a championship. Truly made me believe in the whole 'Doug Flutie curse' for years.

Anyways, the Bills have an opportunity to exorcise some serious demons this year if they can beat the pats once in December and make the playoffs. Now if they were to actually win the division talk about HUGE.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude just stop. The Pats are still good but weaker than they have been. Miami is crap of a team that managed a few lucky wins. Their own coach is trashing them for how bad they are. The Bills have been a sound good football team. How can you seriously watch the Bills and then watch Miami, dog our team and praise theirs. Going to the playoffs LAST year means absolutely nothing.

Again just stating the obvious.

I like where the bills are at (will like it even more with a win on Thur) but deep down I'm still realistic and concerned in that I'm not sure the Pats lose another game the rest of the season rendering all this talk about the Bills or anybody else challenging them for division or AFC crown. The talk that they are weak is ludicrous since they have just won 4 straight games with a defense that is quietly shutting down teams after being terrible early. In fact most of their defensive success in recent weeks has been without prized FA addition Stephon Gilmore ironically.

As for the Dolphins, again would love for them to suck this year but they were in a much worse spot last year at 1-4 before winning 9 of their final 11 games including a sweep of the Bills during that stretch. Also the only 2 losses they had down the stretch was at NE and at BAL similar to what happened last week. At 4-3 this year they should be thrilled given the circumstances and key metrics are still trending in the right direction for them sadly. Bottom line the Bills will have a chance for redemption this year with how the schedule shakes out.

I like where the bills are at (will like it even more with a win on Thur) but deep down I'm still realistic and concerned in that I'm not sure the Pats lose another game the rest of the season rendering all this talk about the Bills or anybody else challenging them for division or AFC crown. The talk that they are weak is ludicrous since they have just won 4 straight games with a defense that is quietly shutting down teams after being terrible early. In fact most of their defensive success in recent weeks has been without prized FA addition Stephon Gilmore ironically.

As for the Dolphins, again would love for them to suck this year but they were in a much worse spot last year at 1-4 before winning 9 of their final 11 games including a sweep of the Bills during that stretch. Also the only 2 losses they had down the stretch was at NE and at BAL similar to what happened last week. At 4-3 this year they should be thrilled given the circumstances and key metrics are still trending in the right direction for them sadly. Bottom line the Bills will have a chance for redemption this year with how the schedule shakes out.

Explain these key metrics. I'm not sure if you know but the team with the most points wins the game. They don't score....

Explain these key metrics. I'm not sure if you know but the team with the most points wins the game. They don't score....

They are #7 overall defense in yards allowed on defense. PFF also has them graded out as a top 10 unit with their advanced metrics and next gen stats.

But yes the one issue with the Dolphins is their offense similar to the Bills they struggle when they can't run the ball. Gase is an offensive mind though and will likely sort things out similar to last year. I'm curious to see what happens when the Dolphins play the Raiders next week as it should be a good litmus test after their ugly 40-0 loss in Baltimore.

Ok good, you are concerned, that makes me feel better

Nothing you are saying is obvious or realistic. I understand Pats, but they are not dominating like they have been in years past. They are squeeking by in wins. If you don't see the difference you aren't paying attention. That is not to say we will win. That is to say we could win. Its not automatic losses like usual.

As for the Dolphins you are just being an idiot here. Basing anything they are doing on last year is stupid. How can you dog our team and praise them based on THIS year. Seriously. You aren't watching football. You cant possibly be. Find me a minimum of 6 wins out of this schedule Raider, Panthers, Bucs, Broncos, KC, Pats x2, Bills x2. Its not happening. The only legit thing you said in your post was "they should be thrilled being 4-3." You are absolutely right. They should be thrilled to have 4 wins after looking like dog **** and getting lucky in just about all of them.

They are #7 overall defense in yards allowed on defense. PFF also has them graded out as a top 10 unit with their advanced metrics and next gen stats.

But yes the one issue with the Dolphins is their offense similar to the Bills they struggle when they can't run the ball. Gase is an offensive mind though and will likely sort things out similar to last year. I'm curious to see what happens when the Dolphins play the Raiders next week as it should be a good litmus test after their ugly 40-0 loss in Baltimore.

Yards allowed is a key metric huh?

I just looked at football outsiders grading...

DVOA 20th

DAVE 21st

PASS 27th

RUSH 3rd

VAR 20th

SCHED 13th

Where in any of those rankings is Miami ranked top 10 outside of rush defense?

Edited by Scott7975

You can throw around all the numbers you want about the Dolphins but to most people looking at them, they play far too inconsistently to go on a run like they did last season. And injuries are piling up for them.

Miami was the luckiest team in the NFL last year.

There's not really an easy game left on their schedule either this year. 2 games against buffalo, NE, @KC, and @Car.. for a team who as of now is 2-3 on the road (including London) - and have been shut out twice, almost 3 times.

If SD makes a very make-able FG as time expires, and mariota plays... they'd be what, 2-5?

Nothing you are saying is obvious or realistic. I understand Pats, but they are not dominating like they have been in years past. They are squeeking by in wins. If you don't see the difference you aren't paying attention. That is not to say we will win. That is to say we could win. Its not automatic losses like usual.

As for the Dolphins you are just being an idiot here. Basing anything they are doing on last year is stupid. How can you dog our team and praise them based on THIS year. Seriously. You aren't watching football. You cant possibly be. Find me a minimum of 6 wins out of this schedule Raider, Panthers, Bucs, Broncos, KC, Pats x2, Bills x2. Its not happening. The only legit thing you said in your post was "they should be thrilled being 4-3." You are absolutely right. They should be thrilled to have 4 wins after looking like dog **** and getting lucky in just about all of them.

As of today it looks like we can be competitive with the Pats (and Dolphins) when we play them. But as for actually beating them it's going to be have to proved on the field especially with the Pats. Still think absolute best case is going 2-2 in games against the Pats and Dolphins which will likely be good enough for a wildcard assuming a 2nd half collapse isn't coming for the Bills.

But at the end of the day the Pats are 6-2 and on pace for their usual 13-3 type of season especially since they play their best football in the 2nd half of the season. What concerns me the most right now though is how dominant Belichik and Patricia's defense is looking after such a poor start to the season. Since losing to the Panthers and giving up 30+ in that one they are allowing 12.75 points per game in their last 4 (all wins). Yes they are still 32nd in total yards allowed but next gen stats and advanced metrics are certainly trending upwards for them.

Edited by SaviorPeterman

Agreed, it's a brutal finish regardless of whether or not the NFL thought the Bills would be good or not when they drew this thing up.

What sucks the most about not playing the fish or Pats yet is we truly don't know how good we are compared to them who were both playoff teams last year. Plus it's typically easier to catch the Pats early on and get a win against them vs playing them in December when they are near impossible to beat home or on the road.

But as a Bills fan you do have to appreciate that we will likely be involved in some meaningful games come December that very well may decide the division, wildcard race, AFC seeding etc.

The fish blow. They know it, Gasse knows it, the fanbase knows it. Most importantly thier opponents know it. You are the only one who doesn't know it. I'm concerned about that.

Miami was the luckiest team in the NFL last year.

There's not really an easy game left on their schedule either this year. 2 games against buffalo, NE, @KC, and @Car.. for a team who as of now is 2-3 on the road (including London) - and have been shut out twice, almost 3 times.

If SD makes a very make-able FG as time expires, and mariota plays... they'd be what, 2-5?

No such thing as luck in the NFL my friend. And as much as I'd love to write them off Gase did for the Dolphins what McD is doing for the Bills. He's a true thinking man's coach and will get the offense producing better than they are right now which isn't necessarily that bad given their 4-3 record. It's all about details and losing Tannenhill was a major blow given how good he was for them last year.

I have the Dolphins going 11-5 this year and still sticking by that but assuming we can beat them in Buffalo this year. And right now it's looking like both AFC Wildards might be coming from this division.

The fish blow. They know it, Gasse knows it, the fanbase knows it. Most importantly thier opponents know it. You are the only one who doesn't know it. I'm concerned about that.

I wish I was wrong but usually aren't with these things.

They are a serious contender sadly.

No such thing as luck in the NFL my friend. And as much as I'd love to write them off Gase did for the Dolphins what McD is doing for the Bills. He's a true thinking man's coach and will get the offense producing better than they are right now which isn't necessarily that bad given their 4-3 record. It's all about details and losing Tannenhill was a major blow given how good he was for them last year.

I have the Dolphins going 11-5 this year and still sticking by that but assuming we can beat them in Buffalo this year. And right now it's looking like both AFC Wildards might be coming from this division.

I wish I was wrong but usually aren't with these things.

They are a serious contender sadly.

You have been wrong all year on pretty much everything.

Bills not in pats league yet. Lets be honest.

If Bills pass rush doesn't greatly improve Old Tom will pick us apart .

That is what I was afraid Carr would do, but the Bills D held strong outside of 2 drives. I would like to see them get to the QB more as I was also concerned with them being able to get to Carr like once all game.

As for the Dolphins? Well if anyone watched them play last year (I did quite a bit because a ton of their game times offset with the Bills), they were lucky to win half the games that they did. Every other week it seemed to be some flukey situation that enabled them to win.

I don't think they could replicate that this year, and they subsequently went to the playoffs and got beat.

Edited by What a Tuel