Texans ready to walk out on owner after “inmate” comments

YoloinOhio

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black males commit a scandalous and disproportionate amount of crime.

You're making statements about a lack of equality in outcome and attributing a lack of equity, which in reality doesn't exist.

As an example, New York City's "Stop and Frisk" program actually under sampled blacks based on crime data.

There is tons of research about sentencing. You havent once bothered to post a source. Ill do you a favor.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/17/opinion/sunday/unequal-sentences-for-blacks-and-whites.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

The Herald-Tribune found that judges disregard the guidelines, sentencing black defendants to longer prison terms in 60 percent of felony cases, 68 percent of serious, first-degree crimes and 45 percent of burglaries. In third-degree felony cases the least serious and broadest class of felonies white Florida judges sentenced black defendants to 20 percent more prison time than white defendants.

The war on drugs weighs particularly heavily on black defendants. The police target their neighborhoods, herding people into a court system where judges are demonstrably harder on black offenders. The report found that nearly half of the counties in Florida sentenced African-Americans convicted of felony drug possession to more than double the jail time of whites even when their backgrounds were the same.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/feb/26/hillary-clinton/hillary-clinton-says-blacks-more-likely-be-arreste/

Treasure trove of stats at this link:

white, black and Hispanic drivers were stopped at similar rates by police. However, black drivers were about three times as likely as white drivers to be searched during a traffic stop.

It found that when a white driver was stopped in Ferguson, there was a 7 percent chance the car would be searched and a 34 percent chance that something would be found. But when a black driver was stopped, the search rate was significantly higher 12 percent and the odds of actually finding contraband were significantly lower (22 percent).

According to a National Research Council report, drug arrest rates have long been higher for blacks, even though data show that blacks are generally no more likely to use drugs than whites and there's little evidence that they sell drugs more often than whites.

Studies have shown, for instance, that when prosecutors are deciding on what charges to file against suspects, they tend to select more severe charges for blacks and to use habitual offender laws against blacks more than whites under similar circumstances, particularly when it comes to drug and property crimes, according to a Florida study reported in the journal Criminology.

A 2013 study in the Yale Law Journal reported that black men were nearly twice as likely to be charged with an offense that carried a mandatory minimum sentence than white men facing similar circumstances. When judges have discretion over how long a sentence should be for a specific crime, they tend to select longer sentences for blacks even if they have the same criminal history.

After controlling for the arrest offense, a person's criminal history and other characteristics, sentences for black males were about 10 percent higher than for whites, the study found.

Plenty of good stuff here about racial disparities in the juvenile system:

https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/assets/141027_iachr_racial_disparities_aclu_submission_0.pdf

Recent research also shows that that the races of victims and offenders may be a factor in determining which juvenile offenders are sentenced to life without parole, as Black youth with a white victim are far more likely to be sentenced to life without parole than white youth with a Black victim. The percentage of Black juvenile offenders serving LWOP for the homicide of a white victim (43.4 percent) is nearly twice the rate at which Black juveniles are arrested for suspected homicide of a white person (23.2 percent).27 In contrast, white juvenile offenders with Black victims are only about half as likely (3.6 percent) to be sentenced to LWOP for the homicide crime as their proportion of arrests for suspected homicide of a Black victim (6.4 percent)

And this is just a drop in the bucket, there is plenty more research that you have chosen to ignore. At every level of the justice system, blacks are treated less fairly than whites. Like it or not this is what the players are protesting.

Why is it sad though? How does it effect you?

Am I the only one that just doesn't care about this stuff? I keep seeing these threads get started on a weekly basis and 75% of you guys just talk in circles. I don't watch or follow football for it's politics. I also don't care if the players kneel. I don't care if there are flyovers. I watch football to be entertained by the sport, not by it's fans and their political persuasions. It's not like I don't have my own ideologies, but lately I have tried as hard as I can to separate them entirely from watching football.

I agree with you, lets get back to sports.

Except fly overs. I like them. Really cool. And to all the naysayers complaining it is military money poorly spent. It counts as training for those flyboys who must accumulate hours for ratings anyway etc etc... so no harm.

There is tons of research about sentencing. You havent once bothered to post a source. Ill do you a favor.https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/17/opinion/sunday/unequal-sentences-for-blacks-and-whites.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/feb/26/hillary-clinton/hillary-clinton-says-blacks-more-likely-be-arreste/

Regardless of research , analysis by lib news sources like the NYT, this is a bizarre hill to die on, no? Seems there are plenty of good causes out there to champion rather than to stand up for CRIMINALS. Why choose to degrade the Country because one believes that judges are racist and we need to start sentencing white criminals more severely to match the black criminals? The players protesting comes across as sticking up for criminals rather than " cracking down on crime" commited by criminals of ALL backgrounds. Somehow I don't see getting tough on crime and respecting our Police officers as the players message here. It would be a much better message and one that good people everywhere could get behind. Without disparaging the flag, anthem etc. No one accused the players of being geniuses though. I saw some NFL players wondering aloud why it's OK to " support " the breast cancer awareness campaign. Amazing they can't see the difference.

Edited by Boatdrinks

There is tons of research about sentencing. You havent once bothered to post a source. Ill do you a favor.https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/17/opinion/sunday/unequal-sentences-for-blacks-and-whites.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

Regardless of research , analysis by lib news sources like the NYT, this is a bizarre hill to die on, no? Seems there are plenty of good causes out there than to stand up for CRIMINALS. Why choose to degrade the Country because one believes that judges are racist and we need to start sentencing white criminals more severely to match the black criminals? The players protesting comes across as sticking up for criminals rather than " cracking down on crime" commited by criminals of ALL backgrounds. Somehow I don't see getting tough on crime and respecting our Police officers as the players message here. It would be a much better message and one that good people everywhere could get behind. Without disparaging the flag, anthem etc. No one accused the players of being geniuses though. I saw some NFL players wondering aloud why it's OK to " support " the breast cancer awareness campaign. Amazing they can't see the difference.

Plenty of good stuff here about racial disparities in the juvenile system:https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/assets/141027_iachr_racial_disparities_aclu_submission_0.pdf

And this is just a drop in the bucket, there is plenty more research that you have chosen to ignore. At every level of the justice system, blacks are treated less fairly than whites. Like it or not this is what the players are protesting.

Standing up for those accused of a crime is one of the cornerstones of our democracy.

Standing up for those accused of a crime is one of the cornerstones of our democracy.

Innocent people perhaps. They are talking about sentencing of CONVICtED criminals , not those simply accused of a crime. I don't think many folks have a lot of sympathy for criminals, nor should they. By your logic , lawyers are among the finest people among us. Care to take a poll on that?

Innocent people perhaps. They are talking about sentencing of CONVICtED criminals , not those simply accused of a crime. I don't think many folks have a lot of sympathy for criminals, nor should they. By your logic , lawyers are among the finest people among us. Care to take a poll on that?

Regardless of your personal feelings on the rights of the convicted versus the accused, that our Constitution confers certain rights upon entering the justice system is not up for argument. Similarly, I was not under the impression that the NFL players' protest was confined to the rights of criminals (convictions implied), but rather a broader conversation about the inequalities in the treatment of African Americans with respect to law enforcement.

And that's a stretch on my logic. My 'poll' would be more along the lines of whether or not lawyers and the adversarial legal system serves its function in society, and I'd vote yes.

Regardless of your personal feelings on the rights of the convicted versus the accused, that our Constitution confers certain rights upon entering the justice system is not up for argument. Similarly, I was not under the impression that the NFL players' protest was confined to the rights of criminals (convictions implied), but rather a broader conversation about the inequalities in the treatment of African Americans with respect to law enforcement.

And that's a stretch on my logic. My 'poll' would be more along the lines of whether or not lawyers and the adversarial legal system serves its function in society, and I'd vote yes.

What they are " protesting " has splintered off in many directions. Largely due to their own lack of direction. Regardless, it's apparent that this is something they'd be better off doing quietly on their own time. Accusing Cops and whites of racism isn't going to win any popularity contests. Not that they are looking for popularity, but the NFL is a business and would be better suited to support more universal causes.

Some of the statistics I posted are about the increased likelihood of black people to be searched after a simple traffic stop, before any conviction. That alone blows a hole in your argument. Minor drug offenses shouldnt lead to jail time in any case IMO, so when black peoples are getting arrested at a higher rate despite equal usage as whites that represents a disparity.

Some of the statistics I posted are about the increased likelihood of black people to be searched after a simple traffic stop, before any conviction. That alone blows a hole in your argument. Minor drug offenses shouldnt lead to jail time in any case IMO, so when black peoples are getting arrested at a higher rate despite equal usage as whites that represents a disparity.

I'm aware of those stats you posted as well. Police will search when they have reasonable suspicion. Could be the smell of marijuana, paraphernalia visibly lying around etc. Perhaps some people are more careful about what they have in their cars or what they do while they are in them. The simple explanations are usually the most correct. One who is always looking to see racism will always see it.

I'm aware of those stats you posted as well. Police will search when they have reasonable suspicion. Could be the smell of marijuana, paraphernalia visibly lying around etc. Perhaps some people are more careful about what they have in their cars or what they do while they are in them. The simple explanations are usually the most correct. One who is always looking to see racism will always see it.

So you either didnt read the stats or are choosing to ignore them. This is nuts man. I will never understand our countrys obsession with always trusting cops. Police officers are just people. We have the 4th amendment for a reason, the founders knew what government officers with broad authority and power could do. The cop who shot Philandro Castile said he smelled marijuana in the car and claimed this justified the shooting because, in his words, if Castile was willing to smoke marijuana with a child in the car that might mean he was willing to shoot a police officer. If he had pulled over a white guy smoking cigarettes he would never pulled his gun. I dont think racism is as bad in the justice system as some people do, but you have to be blind to think it isnt there at all.

Ill post this again Boatdrinks:

It found that when a white driver was stopped in Ferguson, there was a 7 percent chance the car would be searched and a 34 percent chance that something would be found. But when a black driver was stopped, the search rate was significantly higher 12 percent and the odds of actually finding contraband were significantly lower (22 percent).

Edited by HappyDays

So you either didnt read the stats or are choosing to ignore them. This is nuts man. I will never understand our countrys obsession with always trusting cops. Police officers are just people. We have the 4th amendment for a reason, the founders knew what government officers with broad authority and power could do. The cop who shot Philandro Castile said he smelled marijuana in the car and claimed this justified the shooting because, in his words, if Castile was willing to smoke marijuana with a child in the car that might mean he was willing to shoot a police officer. If he had pulled over a white guy smoking cigarettes he would never pulled his gun. I dont think racism is as bad in the justice system as some people do, but you have to be blind to think it isnt there at all.

maybe they were pulling over black drivers who were targeted or not. To me there is absolutely nothing wrong with profiling and we need to do it more. This is not an argument to your post but it is a matter of fact that profiling works wonders.

I agree with this statement 1000%....add musicians into this post and it would be spot on how i feel.

Why is it sad though? How does it effect you?

Am I the only one that just doesn't care about this stuff? I keep seeing these threads get started on a weekly basis and 75% of you guys just talk in circles. I don't watch or follow football for it's politics. I also don't care if the players kneel. I don't care if there are flyovers. I watch football to be entertained by the sport, not by it's fans and their political persuasions. It's not like I don't have my own ideologies, but lately I have tried as hard as I can to separate them entirely from watching football.

maybe they were pulling over black drivers who were targeted or not. To me there is absolutely nothing wrong with profiling and we need to do it more. This is not an argument to your post but it is a matter of fact that profiling works wonders.

Wait, what?

So you're cool with them harrassing more minorities, even though it is demonstrably not yielding results, and you want them to do MORE of it?

In both cases there are some parties that don't get it.

Either way, this particular incident, to me, is a fairly sizable overreaction to a rather common and benign adage.

Exactly. Anybody getting mad about it is a buffoon. It literally has nothing to do with race.

Christ, it's like you have to walk on eggshells when saying anything to anybody because someone is waiting to call you a racist. WTF is wrong with people?

Of course it exists because some ( not most) people are racists. Everyone has preconceptions , bias etc whatever you want to call it. I don't for a moment think these things don't exist at all. I do not agree that it is a massive problem overtaking the country. Far from it. I saw the dash cam video from the Castile shooting you mentioned. I'm not sure if it was ever made publicly available. I think the Officer overreacted for sure. He was fired, and should have been. I don't believe his actions were criminal however. Neither did a court of law. You believe it was because the subject was a minority. I do not. The Officer was a minority. It had everything to do with the known and announced presence of a weapon. Then the Officers own overreaction couple with the subjects failure to keep his hands where the Cop could see them which he said to do AFTER he was informed by Castile that he was carrying a firearm. I feel this could have happened if Castile were a Caucasian subject that the Officer believed fit the description of a robbery suspect. Only preconceived bias would make one believe that it couldn't have. It works both ways. Criminal intent is different from fear for ones safety which is what the Officer claimed he felt. Watching that video, I just don't think the Cop was cut out to be in law enforcement . I also didn't think his actions were criminal.

Exactly. Anybody getting mad about it is a buffoon. It literally has nothing to do with race.

Christ, it's like you have to walk on eggshells when saying anything to anybody because someone is waiting to call you a racist. WTF is wrong with people?

That's our society today, brought to you by 8 years of Obama.