Schefter has trade ideas for Bills to make a playoff run

CanadianFan

I think you'll see more than 7 rookies make the team next year. My guess is between all those draft picks and then those who didn't get drafted we will end up with 9+

Agreed. The long term outcome of our picks in next year's draft will determine McDermott/Beane's fate and probably set us up as a contender or a pretender over the next five plus years. A lot of people are excited about the hot start this year, but our ceiling is an early exit from the playoffs. Get as much as you can from players you don't want around long term even if it means weakening this year's roster.

Edited by Doc Brown

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beane should be fired tom for trading a Marcell for a 5th

stop trying to trade all of our !@#$ing talent and then wonder why we have zero depth. no one wants him. keep the guy and let him improve ffs

Big issue with Dareus is that he is a malcontent. If he was just under performing but a good citizen I think you have to stick with him this year and next. But if he continues to be an issue butting heads with the coaching staff and causing locker room issues and distractions I think in the off-season you have to trade him.

I think in the 2018 off-season a desperate team would likely buy low on Dareus hoping to tap into his potential and in 2018 that cap hit is only a one year commitment. I think you could at least get a 4th in 2018 and a 6th or 7th in 2019 for Dareus if not a 2018 3rd rounder at least. Even right now he still plays at an above average level, his play is still effective, he just isn't the dominating player he could be.

But overall I think you have to hope that Dareus can turn it around. The D-line is fairly old. Hughes is 31 and Kyle is likely in his last season here. Outside of Shaq there isn't much youth on the D-line. If Dareus can turn it around he could anchor the D-line for the next 3-4 seasons.

Edited by billsfan89

It's very easy to say to keep dareus and just wait it out for him to get better. It's what they have been doing and it's not getting any better. He appears to be lacking motivation for the last little while. Coaches have tries to do things to motivate him but it doesn't appear to be working. He has had issues in the offseasons here too. It may be time for the bills to move on and take what they xan get wjile taking the cap hit now rather then later. Another team may be able to motivate him and get him playing back to the level he started at. A trade may wake him up, or it may do nothing

The easiest time to trade Dareus is after the 1st June 2018. At that point he becomes a relatively cheap gamble for a team taking him on. A team could take on his contract pay him basically his base salary of $9.9m in 2018 and then cut him after 2018 for only about $1.4m in dead cap. It would leave the Bills with dead money of:

$6.4m in 2018

$7.8m in 2019

If the Bills decide they want him off the books before then or have to cut him because there is zero trade interest it becomes a little harder for them without eating huge cap. I doubt he is on the Bills roster on opening day 2018 though.

As evidenced in the last draft, picks can be used as currency to move up in various rounds. They jockeyed around with almost every pick, which I believe was McD targeting specific players he had designs on. "So a 5th or 6th pick" is worth more, unless you think they're just going to sit in their draft slots.

That's true. And fair point. It's not worthless.

Admin has gone out of their way to compliment Big Puff lately. If he keeps it up, may have to start calling him Big Puff. I believe Bills are (and I would prefer) see if he catches up to the train, grabs a handle on the caboose and hops aboard. It is not too late. I think of Jones in Cinci - who was a lot worse than Cinci - while still a turd, he has largely remained available to Bengs the past years and played to his ability. Sometimes guys realize stupid is no fun, and I would rather give some time for Dareus to make that realization than give him away.

Er, start calling him "Big Stuff" - sorry

The easiest time to trade Dareus is after the 1st June 2018. At that point he becomes a relatively cheap gamble for a team taking him on. A team could take on his contract pay him basically his base salary of $9.9m in 2018 and then cut him after 2018 for only about $1.4m in dead cap. It would leave the Bills with dead money of:

$6.4m in 2018

$7.8m in 2019

If the Bills decide they want him off the books before then or have to cut him because there is zero trade interest it becomes a little harder for them without eating huge cap. I doubt he is on the Bills roster on opening day 2018 though.

....I agree GB......but this guy must have really pissed off the gang to want him gone now.......and his Haynesworth act was stale.....pretty clear message with these boyz that if you think you're bigger than team, better call Mayflower and I'm fine with that.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

So one of Shefter's "ideas" has come true. That's why I posted - he knows something's cooking. The man's wired into these conversations.

How about the receiver trade??? Is Beane gonna pull the trigger?

While I doubt Beane will add anyone it is probably most advantageous for them to wait until Monday.........especially in the unlikely chance that it's a bigger ticket item like Pryor..........who is costing the Redskins about $500K per game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21145352/some-wild-ideas-2017-nfl-trade-deadline

Schefter also has Bryant going to Bears.

But there's NO WAY McBeane trades a 5th round pick to Cards for an 8-game rental of a former 7th round receiver. NO WAY.

And why would we trade Dareus for a 5th round pick only? And this year?

If we're going for wild ideas, Bryant with 1.5 years left in contract makes more sense for Bills than this Brown guy.

Beane should be fired tom for trading a Marcell for a 5th

stop trying to trade all of our !@#$ing talent and then wonder why we have zero depth. no one wants him. keep the guy and let him improve ffs

I would be asnine to sell so low on Dareus. There is no way you are trading him for a 5th

Could have quoted far more in this thread.

Interesting to compare the conventional wisdom of TSW vs. reality and people actually involved with the league.