Whaley deserves credit

WIDE LEFT

Whaley's issue was never talent scouting - he's a good scout (except, arguably, at QB). His issue is that he couldn't rise above talent scouting to team-building. THIS IS NOT DISPUTABLE LET'S MOVE ON.

Hey!! We agree on something.

Yeah, I have to second this sentiment, he had a good eye for talent, but that does not make one GM material.

He wanted to keep Schwartz and hire Hue Jackson who would have run the offense. Hard to say what would have happened.

Part of being a good GM is being able to sell your vision to ownership. He was not able to do that.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So from Whaley's drafts (2014-2016 - 2013 is hard to know how much Whaley how much Buddy... it would actually help Whaley's count to include because Hopkins and Woods are starters elsewhere with EJ and Goodwin as depth and 2017 was McDermott's draft.

Starters for the Bills:

Preston Brown

Shaq Lawson

Depth on the Bills:

Seantrel Henderson

John Miller

Nick O'Leary

Adolphus Washington

Starters elsewhere:

Sammy Watkins

Ronald Darby

Nigel Bradham

Zach Brown (FA)

Stephone Gilmore (Injured)

Depth elsewhere:

Ross Cockrell

Kevon Seymour

Reggie Ragland

Cardale Jones

Best post of the thread. He also couldn't overcome the Rex hiring. His biggest mistake was not choosing his head coach. He allowed Terry and Kim to be swept away by Rex. If he had made a stand against hiring Rex, he may have had a chance. Switching to the 3-4 ruined this team for 2 seasons

If he had made a stand against hiring Rex, he would probably have been shown the door much earlier, an we would have had a Rex flunkie as GM. Who knows how bad this team could have become.

Part of being a good GM is being able to sell your vision to ownership. He was not able to do that.

His circumstances didn't do him any favors, either. Having Brandon running the team, Ralph kicking the bucket abd Pegs coming in and buying it, then a coach with a winning record simply walk away, all while he had no real power... that seems to be a miserable work environment. While he did some good and bad things here, some of the hyperbole in this thread is classic. SDS, we need a new emoji, or maybe you should autocorrect the word apologist to "posters who disagree with my hot take".

I'm one of the minority who think Whaley was a good GM.

He got a lot of the right players. This was a team who, under Marrone, went (9-7) (and please spare me the bull **** of not counting the last win of the season) and was moving in the right direction.

I don't fault him, necessarily, for "not finding a QB." People act like this is easy. It's a crap shoot. Even if you get the no-brainer pick, like Luck, it might not work out.

However, the one major mistake for which I do fault him .... believing in EJ Manuel for too long. Although I don't fault him for not finding a QB, I do fault him for not looking/trying hard enough.

To me, THAT was his fatal flaw.

He built a solid team that was a QB away, in my opinion.

He was the victim - and I chose that word carefully - of a new owner who had no respect for the GM position. He had an inept HC shoved down his throat who proceeded to VERY quickly undo everything he'd accomplished.

I was behind Whaley being fired, but only because of his mishandling of the most important position in professional sports. No other reason.

I am EXTREMELY optimistic about what Beane can/will do, here. And Beane is lucky that Terry (and Kim?) Pegula learned quickly (although the two Rex years did not go by quickly) that he needs to keep his mouth shut and his wallet open and let the GM run the team.

Nah, his fatal flaw was being a wuss and not demanding to choose his head coach.

That lack of confidence trickled into his leadership skills (or lack thereof) and horrible dealings with the media.

You can't be a quality general manager in this league if you can't lead and you can't speak.

Nah, his fatal flaw was being a wuss and not demanding to choose his head coach.

That lack of confidence trickled into his leadership skills (or lack thereof) and horrible dealings with the media.

You can't be a quality general manager in this league if you can't lead and you can't speak.

This is not real life in any profession.

This is not real life in any profession.

You act like the Pegulas are a couple of hard-ass "my-way-or-the-highway" people. They're not.

Whaley should have recognized that Rex was not the right man for the job and pounded on the table for his guy. If he had done that, the Pegulas would have certainly listened. He didn't because that's not who he is. And therefore, he's not cut out to be an NFL GM.

You act like the Pegulas are a couple of hard-ass "my-way-or-the-highway" people. They're not.

Whaley should have recognized that Rex was not the right man for the job and pounded on the table for his guy. If he had done that, the Pegulas would have certainly listened. He didn't because that's not who he is. And therefore, he's not cut out to be an NFL GM.

I'd be shocked to think that the Rex move was not forced on Whaley. I'd be even more shocked to think that Whaley didn't express concern. And neither you, nor I, can/will ever know if "the Pegulas would have certainly listened."

The notion that "he didn't go up against the new owners (aka - his new bosses) after they hand-picked Rex Ryan as the head coach - therefore he's "not cut out" to be a GM," is ridiculous.

One can say that his inability to find talent at QB is a reason he's not cut out for it.

But not digging his feet in with the people who sign his paycheck? Nah.

dont forget he also couldnt play nice with Marrone. Who knows what would have happened if Marrone didn't head for the hills and disrupt the defense.

It looks like the Bills have granted McDermott what Marrone wanted. License to modernize all aspects of the football program and phase out some of the lifers from the kitchen. I don't know what side Whaley fell on, but I would assume it was not on Marrone's (the correct) side

Edited by May Day 10

Aside from finding a QB, putting together a coherent team-building strategy, his relationships with HC's, and handing out bad contracts, he was a fine GM.

Unfortunately he got fired.

That was succinct, true and a nice sarcastic touch at the end - love it. The only thing Whaley was good at was acquiring veteran defensive talent from other teams. His offensive moves were so/so with some questionable Free Agency pickups (Percy Harvin, overpaying for Clay) and questionable drafting on Offense. There isn't a starter he drafted currently on the Offense (not counting 2017) (Miller and O'Leary are the only players left on the Roster that he even drafted on Offense). He wasn't a great GM and I don't know what the roles were of others in the Bills FO were in limiting him, but in my opinion that is also a fault to let those limitations be put on you and work within them if that was actually the case as others have suggested who defend him.

Russ and Pegula's wanted big name Rex Ryan...doubt Whaley was able to stop this

Selling yourself to your employer begins day 1. If he had impressed enough from the onset this would have never have been an issue.

That's how things work.

Selling yourself to your employer begins day 1. If he had impressed enough from the onset this would have never have been an issue.

That's how things work.

Whaley's problem is/was he was never the main guy. He was always surrounded by those who hired him and he was always grateful to them.

He deserves very significant credit - for McDermott and Beane being here!

And all of our playmakers this season. If it's TT or Shady or Clay or Hughes or whoever. It's still his roster. And if TT wins anything meaningful it's will partially be because Whaley signed him.