Can DBs have great coverage and still get burned?

I know this will likely turn into a semantic argument, but it is interesting to me nonetheless.

A lot of football observers, including myself, are pretty convinced that if an elite WR runs a relatively short, quick, great out route to the sidelines, and the quarterback throws a quick dart pass right on the money, that it's virtually impossible to stop. No matter who is in coverage.

That, to me, is what happened on the Winston to Evans TD against Tre White late in the game. Tre actually had excellent coverage. The Bucs just executed the play perfectly.

I suppose one could argue that if the DB ignores his responsibilities and just guesses it's going to be that route and immediately jumps it on a wild hunch he could break it up. But that's not smart or reasonable, and would likely get you benched if you tried it three times because you would be wrong two or three times.

So I wouldn't call Tre White being "burnt" on that TD pass. Burnt implies that he made a bad play or misjudgment somehow, and could have or should have been able to make a play if he didn't.

What do you guys think?

Was he burnt? Was he just beaten? Was it something he realistically couldn't have prevented because it was a perfect pass and catch and ball placement and feet placement by JW and Evans?

I personally don't think he was burnt at all. I'm not sure I would even say "beaten." He did give up the play and the TD so it's not like he made a play let alone a good play. he did have excellent coverage but they scored on him.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

A perfect pass can be indefensible. Sometimes, you can't play a guy better than you are and they still get one on you. I don't consider it getting "beat" or "burnt" by your man. Just a great throw that couldn't be defended against.

I don't remember the White play in particular.

It was one of the 2-3 biggest plays of the game. ;)

The play that put the Bucs up 27-20. Everyone I watched it with thought for sure it must be OB but the replay showed the perfect ball and catch and foot drag.

That was a great player making a great play. Even when those plays happen against your team, its hard to be mad because it is pure football at its finest. White was right there with him and he forced a technically difficult catch..... Evans just barely scraped down his foot to get two in there. I dont think theres anything else White could've done, other than make the game winning play minutes later. To me, that was more impressive than the catch.

It was one of the 2-3 biggest plays of the game. ;)

The play that put the Bucs up 27-20. Everyone I watched it with thought for sure it must be OB but the replay showed the perfect ball and catch and foot drag.

I must've been looking the other way. I just looked it up. Indefensible. Ball thrown outside, perfect catch and body placement by Evans. Tre was there and played as good of defense as you could ask. Now could he have maybe done something more? Sure, but reasonable folks (like our HC and DC hopefully) would take Tre's coverage all day every day. Perfect balls are relatively rare for QB's not HoF bound.

Not to pivot to semantics but I have always considered "beat" and "burned" to be related to the WR versus the DB. Tyreek Hill "burned" a DB on Thursday. A WR who head fakes and gets open for a 7 yard slant "beats" his man. A perfect ball with a CB on your hip isn't beating or burning anyone, IMO.

Tre had very good coverage. Great throw, better catch. I said it in the game thread.....that happens. You have to hope they can't be "perfect" too often to give you a chance.

Edited by Augie

Ha, for a second there I thought this was going to be about CBS and their game day coverage.

I've thought this as well, and specifically for this play. I do think that the game has evolved such that some plays can be designed and executed to be impossible to defend. But it takes great design and outstanding execution, including a perfectly run route and a perfectly placed ball. That is why accuracy is so important for QBs in this game. If you find one that can put it exactly where it needs to be on a consistent basis, he will be successful.

I think this is a big reason why the Pats**** have been so successful for so long. They have a QB that can put the ball exactly where it needs to be, every time, and WRs who are disciplined and precise in their route running.

Ha, for a second there I thought this was going to be about CBS and their game day coverage.

I've thought this as well, and specifically for this play. I do think that the game has evolved such that some plays can be designed and executed to be impossible to defend. But it takes great design and outstanding execution, including a perfectly run route and a perfectly placed ball. That is why accuracy is so important for QBs in this game. If you find one that can put it exactly where it needs to be on a consistent basis, he will be successful.

I think this is a big reason why the Pats**** have been so successful for so long. They have a QB that can put the ball exactly where it needs to be, every time, and WRs who are disciplined and precise in their route running.

Ha. I will change the title. That's funny, it never occurred to me. Agree with you. Some plays cannot be stopped if executed perfectly.

I know this will likely turn into a semantic argument, but it is interesting to me nonetheless.

A lot of football observers, including myself, are pretty convinced that if an elite WR runs a relatively short, quick, great out route to the sidelines, and the quarterback throws a quick dart pass right on the money, that it's virtually impossible to stop. No matter who is in coverage.

That, to me, is what happened on the Winston to Evans TD against Tre White late in the game. Tre actually had excellent coverage. The Bucs just executed the play perfectly.

I suppose one could argue that if the DB ignores his responsibilities and just guesses it's going to be that route and immediately jumps it on a wild hunch he could break it up. But that's not smart or reasonable, and would likely get you benched if you tried it three times because you would be wrong two or three times.

So I wouldn't call Tre White being "burnt" on that TD pass. Burnt implies that he made a bad play or misjudgment somehow, and could have or should have been able to make a play if he didn't.

What do you guys think?

Was he burnt? Was he just beaten? Was it something he realistically couldn't have prevented because it was a perfect pass and catch and ball placement and feet placement by JW and Evans?

I personally don't think he was burnt at all. I'm not sure I would even say "beaten." He did give up the play and the TD so it's not like he made a play let alone a good play. he did have excellent coverage but they scored on him.

A great throw will beat a CB every time, nothing they can do.