All the different ways to look at the defense

Hallmark of a good defense is to bend but not break...

We broke a few times today against a potent offense BUT

Our defense knows how to take the ball away... they know they have just as much right to the ball as the offense and they want it

No.

I know where you are trying to go with that but that particular statement is not the hallmark of good defense...........it's the minimum expectation for good defense.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference in the game were the 3 points we got after three turnovers. When we get those extra drives we need to capitalize on them and score points.

There were a couple of times the communication wasn't as good as we've seen in other games so far.

I wish I could agree it was an aberration but I saw it as a carry over from the Bengals game when they torched us for 320 yards passing two weeks ago. I suspect OCs are seeing some things on tape that we’re susceptible to and taking advantage. Granted, not every team is gonna have the level of receiving talent we saw today, but it’s comcerning.

As I've said many times...........McD has benefitted from there not being much tape on what they want to do defensively with this personnel..........but as it adds up, the task gets tougher.

This style of defense requires great pass rush.........and their pass rush has diminished in recent weeks.

"Tape related" observation...........the Bucs ran a reverse right at Shaq Lawson.......and he was so slow off the ball that the reversing back actually ran past him because of his slow get-off. It's on tape........he's gotta' find a way SOMEHOW to get out of stance and upfield faster.

No.

I know where you are trying to go with that but that particular statement is not the hallmark of good defense...........it's the minimum expectation for good defense.

That's why I said a good defense not a great one

You can allow 400 yards a game but if you don't allow your opponent to score it's fine.

We can let up 3-4-5 field goals a game and win

Today we broke a few times and let them score. If you make the opponent go 65+ yards over 8-9-10 play drives all the time you will be successful because you can't consistently do that on offense

They are opportunistic and as long as they don't let up consistent TDs it's not a problem... if they let up 3+ TDs a game it ...

The only stat that truly matters is points against. And we've been pretty good at keeping our opponent out of the endzone

Edited by Buffalo716

Next week I think will reveal the true identity of the defense. At this moment, I think today was somewhat of an aberration, a few missed assignments against a high-powered offense, and the lack of CB depth will definitely cost them a game if they don't get that in order soon.

The Raiders have similar offensive potential through the air, and even though Carr isn't 100%, they will have had extra time to rest and prepare.

If Carr throws for 300+ and a couple TDs next week, whether we win or lose, you'll see people here and nationally reconsidering their praise for the Bills D.

Edited by LA Grant

The defense is what it has been all year. Outside of the two blown assignments on Howard which unfortunately went for TDs, this defense was playing exactly how it had in the previous 5 games. Bend but don't break. There's a reason why coming into this game they were #1 in ppg but only #13 in ypg. They also played the best offense they have faced to date so far. They gave up a lot of yards which was not too surprising. They gave up more points than you would hope but again, take away ONE play and they only give up 20. Take away TWO plays and they only give up 16.

Next week I think will reveal the true identity of the defense. At this moment, I think today was somewhat of an aberration, a few missed assignments against a high-powered offense, and the lack of CB depth will definitely cost them a game if they don't get that in order soon.

The Raiders have similar offensive potential through the air, and even though Carr isn't 100%, they will have had extra time to rest and prepare.

If Carr throws for 300+ and a couple TDs next week, whether we win or lose, you'll see people here and nationally reconsidering their praise for the Bills D.

This team will give up yards for sure. Even taking away two blown coverage plays Winston would have gone over 300 yards. The key is keeping teams out of the end zone. Couldn't do that today.

The defense is what it has been all year. Outside of the two blown assignments on Howard which unfortunately went for TDs, this defense was playing exactly how it had in the previous 5 games. Bend but don't break. There's a reason why coming into this game they were #1 in ppg but only #13 in ypg. They also played the best offense they have faced to date so far. They gave up a lot of yards which was not too surprising. They gave up more points than you would hope but again, take away ONE play and they only give up 20. Take away TWO plays and they only give up 16.

While that is true the only way it works is if you don't blow assignments and it happens. Teams, good teams, blow assignments all the time. If you play a game where you can't afford to blow an assignment you are going to lose more than win. We didn't give up more than 1-2 passing TDs in five games. No one in their right mind would actually that would continue throughout the season.

While that is true the only way it works is if you don't blow assignments and it happens. Teams, good teams, blow assignments all the time. If you play a game where you can't afford to blow an assignment you are going to lose more than win. We didn't give up more than 1-2 passing TDs in five games. No one in their right mind would actually that would continue throughout the season.

True. I think you can live with blowing one per game for the most part. Even today. Had we only blown one assignment that would have only been either 23 or 20 points give up depending on which OJ Howard TD comes off the board. I think you can live with that against a really good offense like the Bucs have. And most weeks teams definitely don't blow two coverage's for TDs. Teams are going to score passing TD but you want them to work for it.

True. I think you can live with blowing one per game for the most part. Even today. Had we only blown one assignment that would have only been either 23 or 20 points give up depending on which OJ Howard TD comes off the board. I think you can live with that against a really good offense like the Bucs have. And most weeks teams definitely don't blow two coverage's for TDs. Teams are going to score passing TD but you want them to work for it.

Exactly. When teams have great seasons they spread stuff like that out. A lot of it is luck. But you have to be pretty good to make your own luck. It's a tribute to the players and the coaches and the management that with middle of the road talent we are playing above average football. The offense bailed the defense out for the win today. The special teams (Hauschka) bailed the offense out for a win a couple games ago. We actually deserve to be 4-2 the way all three teams are playing and making plays and not making a ton of mistakes. But there was no way the defense was going to go the whole season giving up 1-2 TD passes every five games.

I'm a Tyrod fan. I don't think he is great or a franchise QB. But I think the way we play we can do what we have been doing with him and a good part of it are his talents and his protecting the ball. We scored 30 points with one real NFL player at a skill position (I'm not counting Matthews with one hand).

Unfortunately, the defense has been trending down for the last month.

Look at the progression as the season has gone along:

Points Allowed Per Game:

12, 9, 16, 17, 20, 27

Yards Per Play:

3.9, 3.9, 5.5, 5.4, 6.1, 6.4

Pass Yards Per Attempt:

4.4, 4.7, 5.9, 5.6, 8.7, 8.4

Rush Yards Per Attempt:

2.5, 2.8, 4.8, 5.1, 2.4, 2.8

In my opinion, something has been exposed in our secondary. And opponents are starting to catch on.

While the run defense seems to have rebounded the last two games, our pass defense is letting up MORE AND MORE every single week. Don't forget that Matt Ryan was also torching us early, before Julio Jones and Mohammed Sanu went down with injuries.

Yesterday there were several AWFUL breakdowns in coverage. Many due to poor coverage by our linebackers. Going into the season, most of us (Bills fans) believed this was going to be a weakness. But in the first couple games, our opponents seemed more focused on attacking downfield (especially with a rookie corner on the outside). Now I think offensive coordinators are noticing and going after the LBs.

Don't be surprised if the defense continues looking inconsistent as the season wears on. Don't forget that many coaches (we've had plenty on our own team over the years) will ignore game film and fail to attack our weak points. And some won't have the personnel to outmatch us. But the way this defense is trending, I would honestly be shocked if this squad finishes in the Top 10 by year's end.

The D had a tough day against the pass but was pretty strong against the run, which has been a positive all year. And we have to also consider the toll injuries are taking. For example, Gaines and Poyer haven't been a 100% even though they've been playing. And when they're out, boy, the lack of quality depth is exposed.

We got 3 turnovers tho.. that CANT be overlooked. Win the turnover battle, win the game.

Yes and for the 2nd straight game it was a close down to the wire finish.

And quite frankly the only difference between this game and the Bengals was being at home or we probably lose.

I still maintain that if you take away the turnovers this is a very poor defense and the rankings are starting to show as we are now 21st overall in terms of yards allowed. At some point a game is going to come where the defense doesn't get turnovers and we give up a ton of big plays and points. And when it happens it will be a very lopsided loss for this team.

It's two things, A) you had Winston and their skill receivers hitting on all cylinders in the pass game and B) the starting players are quality and what we've seen is a healthy group up until now. Lack of depth is an issue and won't truly be addressed until next year.

Even good defenses have a bad day. That's a loaded offense. Team win. Offense had to score yesterday and they did.

That's the silver lining in this, Bucs are now #2 overall in terms of total offense. So not were lit up by a garbage team and QB.

But the Bengals are still near the bottom of the NFL and they had the same type of game basically and I don't believe they are winning many games this year.

Yes and for the 2nd straight game it was a close down to the wire finish.

And quite frankly the only difference between this game and the Bengals was being at home or we probably lose.

I still maintain that if you take away the turnovers this is a very poor defense and the rankings are starting to show as we are now 21st overall in terms of yards allowed. At some point a game is going to come where the defense doesn't get turnovers and we give up a ton of big plays and points. And when it happens it will be a very lopsided loss for this team.

I normally ignore your posts, but I have to ask

Can you please give us a break?

Looked to me like a combination of factors.

JW was playing really, really well - he's a streaky QB (as is Dalton) and he was on fire yesterday. Multiple third down completions where the he threw it exactly at the right time to the exact right spot, with the Bills' defenders within a half-step of him.

Losing Gaines hurt - JW ate the replacements (Johnson & Wright) for lunch.

Two dropped INTs (Hyde, Gaines).

The pass rush needs help - imagine how could the D would be with another top-end pass rusher to compliment Hughes.

Kyle is either injured or has lost some of his explosiveness.

LoRax is really struggling in pass defense right now.