Prepare to see some heavy formations on offense this week

Logic

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodak reported this too:

LeSean McCoy said Wednesday that Bills coaches used the bye week to re-tool their run-game playbook. "Just get to things that we do that we're more successful in, that the line is familiar with, comfortable with," he said. "Something that's been working for so long [before 2017], stick with it. The coaches know that. Also they have their own schemes that they want to do."

Seems like Rico isn't as stupid as we thought. I'm pretty excited to see if things are fixed.

What I don't get is what took them so long. You'd think exhibition games are the tool to see if things are working and you begin making adjustments. You have all camp and four games to evaluate what you need to do and make adjustments. What if our bye week didn't come until week 10? Would we still do the same stupid things that aren't working. Would we still try to play to our players weaknesses?

I'm glad to hear that this is happening and hopefully the next 11 games will not be so futile on offense. After watching the Raiders last night, we are going to need to score 27+ to beat them.

They cut back on 3 step drop throws more and more as it became evident Tyrod wasn't running those effectively. I'm 90% sure I saw the numbers that showed they started running power concepts already more frequently in the run game. A lot of the play action calls show zone runs, so they have to run outside zone occasionally to keep teams honest. Maybe they'll change those up a little bit and run even less outside zone.

So the staff is already making small adjustments. With the bye week I don't expect them to drastically change what they do, but I'm very interested in seeing what they do.

Edited by elroy16

Buffalo Bills in a passing league are setting up for 3 yards and a cloud of dust offensive scheme. Good thing we got Tolbert, he can get those three yards.

As someone else posted, we need to get the pass game going first to set up the run, this isnt the NFL of 1960

If we can't move the ball against this team coming out of the bye week then this team is truly in serious trouble.

No excuse to not come out firing the football downfield and see what happens instead of the same predictable stuff on 1st/2nd down.

If we can't move the ball against this team coming out of the bye week then this team is truly in serious trouble.

No excuse to not come out firing the football downfield and see what happens instead of the same predictable stuff on 1st/2nd down.

Tampa Bay gives up 100 yards rushing/game.

This might not be the best team to "unleash" Tyrod.

Rodak reported this too:

LeSean McCoy said Wednesday that Bills coaches used the bye week to re-tool their run-game playbook. "Just get to things that we do that we're more successful in, that the line is familiar with, comfortable with," he said. "Something that's been working for so long [before 2017], stick with it. The coaches know that. Also they have their own schemes that they want to do."

Seems like Rico isn't as stupid as we thought. I'm pretty excited to see if things are fixed.

That's exactly what I said yesterday, that the Bills should have incorporated over the bye week. Good to hear, now let's see it.

The pass needs to set up the run.

If the pass game fails, so will the entire offense.

Except that's probably a recipe for disaster with our WR group. Although it has worked in the past. Week 3 @ Miami in 2015 was about as good of an example I can think of. That opening drive was masterful.

While I tend to agree with this, Tampa will still try and do what other teams have against us and that's stacking the box and forcing Taylor to beat us with this arm. However unlike some of these other teams their probability of success is diminished because of their overall defense and struggles they've had.

Are you sure that's the only way it can work?

Back to read option with threat of Taylor running was very successful

It sounded a lot like andy Reid is running a college offense with Alex, albeit with some pretty electric playmakers

A reporter on twitter (Sal?) mentioned that Seantrel Henderson was lined up to the left of Cordy Glenn on a few plays.

I believe that -- after some self evaluation during the bye week, in which the coaching staff realized both the success of last year's unbalanced lines and the current dearth of healthy Bills receivers -- the Bills will try to get the running game on track agains the Bucs using 22 and 13 personnel and some extra tackle Jumbo formations.

Cover 1 recently tweeted a link to Jim Schwartz talking about how difficult it is to defend against 22 and 13 personnel, how hard it is to keep gap integrity. Given the vulnerability in run defense that the Buccaneers present and the lack of #85 and #87 on the field, I expect the ol' ground 'n' pound this week.

Shady tops 100 yards rushing for the first time since week 1. Bank it.

I hope Shady tops 150 yds, along with a Bills win, of course.

Are you sure that's the only way it can work?

I'm sure that, so far, opposing defenses have shown no fear of Tyrod's passing game - hence the crappy rushing totals.

I don't see why any team wouldn't just keep doing the same thing.

...sure would be....scheme adaptability versus rigidity to better fit players' strengths goes a helluva lot further IMO....pretty elementary............

Yup. This is the time the offense has to put up more than, I'll say, 24 pts per game, to take more of the pressure off our D. If we want to have a shot at the

playoffs, offense has to come to life, especially as injuries will mount up as we go later in the season.

This is 100% correct. If it was so easy to just change your "scheme" to run the football and move the ball down the field then every team in the NFL would be doing it. We've seen teams this year bring almost everyone up to the line to stop the run and force Taylor to beat them throwing it. He simply has not demonstrated any ability to do so. The Bills don't need him to be a 350 yard passer, but hovering around 150 isn't going to get it done.

I reize watkins is gone but tyrod's deep pass is effortless - i would like to see more of that. Even if they don't connect half of the time or more it still makes the defense worry about it. Work with what you have - shady, deep arm and a running qb.

maybe it is time to "unleash" him as a runner. he seems to be at his best when he is a threat to scramble down the field. having said that, i also realize that teams are most likely scheming to take that away. but...something, somewhere, has to give.

maybe it is time to "unleash" him as a runner. he seems to be at his best when he is a threat to scramble down the field. having said that, i also realize that teams are most likely scheming to take that away. but...something, somewhere, has to give.

It will give next April.