Mcdermott did the same thing to our offense as Rex did

Yeezus

I couldn't tell you. But McD is a defensive guy, and even if he hired Dennison, he was probably sold on Dennison's vision of how to improve the offense, and TT in particular They gave it a go the first 5 games and I seriously hope they go back to what worked last year, but I'm not expecting it.

And I don't know if you can just add a new OC and expect to pickup where things left off anyway. Both Roman and Lynn are gone and they're not coming back soon, if ever.

Going back to last year's offense would be conceding failure and no way that McD/Dennison do that.

If they aren't going to make a QB change though they certainly need to do something about the oline because by and large it's been a complete disaster as a run blocking unit which is supposed to be this teams bread and butter.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad comparison. Our offense last year was 16th in the league. Our defense before Ryan came on was 4th. That ranking - 4th - was a lot better reason not to change than 16th was.

The Bills offense wasn't particularly good last year. The run game was excellent but the offense was acceptable, not good, 16th in the league.

And yeah it'll be hard to compete with Tyrod struggling to throw over 200 yards a game and getting sacked a lot. But the record shows that's Tyrod. He's likely to average just around there. More if he throws a lot, maybe, but nobody seems to want that to happen.

Great point.

Also, in fairness to this year's offense, they really have played against a run of teams with very good defenses so far.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

In per game yardage rankings, Denver, Cincy, Carolina are #1,#2,and #4 in the league. Atlanta is 10th. Jets are only below average team they've faced at #25, and the Bills ran the ball plenty well on them while still adjusting to a brand new scheme in week 1.

Let's see how they do in the next several weeks against considerably lesser rated defenses before completely panicking.

Tampa #30, Oakland #23, New Orleans #26, KC #29, Jets #25 again, Indianapolis #31, Chargers #18, New Englandx2 #32...

The Bills' remaining schedule includes FIVE games against the WORST FOUR yardage defenses in the league.

Only Miami at #11 x2 is a better than average defense still on their schedule, and most are much worse than average.

Edited by BobChalmers

Going back to last year's offense would be conceding failure and no way that McD/Dennison do that.

If they aren't going to make a QB change though they certainly need to do something about the oline because by and large it's been a complete disaster as a run blocking unit which is supposed to be this teams bread and butter.

Yeah, I doubt anyone would have come in and said "that's the same exact offense I want to run." But at this point, they've given the new system a go, TT is what he is and IMHO going back to it is the best solution.

Seems like you're a big fan of Anthony Lynn and believe that if we kept him our offense would be excellent.

The chargers are currently 23rd in the NFL in scoring and they have significant weapons at RB, WR, TE, and a strong offensive line.

...and I bet you we wouldn't have a top 5 defense if your boy Lynn was still around.

So, either you haven't been paying attention to San Diego's performance... or you think we should have hired Greg Roman to be head coach to keep our offense "in tact."

Good post.

Seems like you're a big fan of Anthony Lynn and believe that if we kept him our offense would be excellent.

The chargers are currently 23rd in the NFL in scoring and they have significant weapons at QB, RB, WR, TE, and a strong offensive line.

...and I bet you we wouldn't have a top 5 defense if your boy Lynn was still around.

So, either you haven't been paying attention to San Diego's performance... or you think we should have hired Greg Roman to be head coach to keep our offense "in tact."

And yet, their offense scored 2X the number of TD's (14 vs.7) as the Bills' high tech, 21st century offense.

Maybe if we score 7 Td's against Tampa, we can catch them.

Sorry it's not the same.

There is ALWAYS CHANGE with a new coaching staff. Rex would not let Schwartz run the Defense... we never had a chance to retain Lynn and we fired Roman who designed the offense lol

We also didn't retain Kromer who was the teacher of Romans run blocking scheme.

Coaches NEED TO COACH WHAT THEY KNOW.

How and why should Dennison implement a Power O offense when he has never ran one and cannot teach the principles correctly

FYI shady has gotten tons of stretches this season...

That's ridiculous, this is the NFL where the best football coaches in the world are. You're telling me a coach only knows one scheme? A good coach looks at the players he has and devises a scheme to best fit them. A good coach would also take a look and say, wow these guys were #1 in the entire league for 2 straight years, I'm not touching that. I'll tweak something other things that we need to improve on.

That's ridiculous, this is the NFL where the best football coaches in the world are. You're telling me a coach only knows one scheme? A good coach looks at the players he has and devises a scheme to best fit them. A good coach would also take a look and say, wow these guys were #1 in the entire league for 2 straight years, I'm not touching that. I'll tweak something other things that we need to improve on.

And yet, seemingly, most stick to one they prefer or know best.

"wow these guys were #1 in the entire league for 2 straight years, I'm not touching that." yeah - well what DOES Juan Castillo know how to do well?

And yet, seemingly, most stick to one they prefer or know best.

"wow these guys were #1 in the entire league for 2 straight years, I'm not touching that." yeah - well what DOES Juan Castillo know how to do well?

been the trend for as long as i know.

Wade Phillips is the standout outlier. Damned fine example too.

edit

I just meant Coaches who flex to the players and can run more than one scheme.

very few i feel do

Edited by 3rdand12

OMFG

and over and over and over and over

It's not going to end until he is banned. The mods figured it out on BBMB but the mods here are a little lax. I mean no offense to any mods by saying that. For the most part I like the lax of the board here. People are able to fight their own battles.

In any case I doubt he gets banned. At least not until a Pats game where he really reveals himself and starts shoving it down fans throats how Brady is king. Bills suck haha I told you all pats rule crap like he use to do.

I'm sure in about a week or so he will start writing his typical lamp threads about how concerned he is about the waterboy 6 times a day with a ps bench Tyrod.

Edited by Scott7975

So then I guess there are only 2-3 good coachesbecause pretty much none of them do what you think good coaches do.

The difference is you don't always see it because most new coaches take over really bad teams so no one cares Nd they all expect a lot of turnovers and changes to the roster.

Sorry it's not the same.

There is ALWAYS CHANGE with a new coaching staff. Rex would not let Schwartz run the Defense... we never had a chance to retain Lynn and we fired Roman who designed the offense lol

We also didn't retain Kromer who was the teacher of Romans run blocking scheme.

Coaches NEED TO COACH WHAT THEY KNOW.

How and why should Dennison implement a Power O offense when he has never ran one and cannot teach the principles correctly

FYI shady has gotten tons of stretches this season...

Nonsense. HCs, OCs, and DCs are NOT responsible for "teaching principles". They are designing strategies to beat opponents, and they are creating the offensive and defensive plays. Coaches who can only design strategies and plays they've personally experienced aren't really good candidates for HC, OC or DC jobs. It takes more than rote learning. It takes imagination.

The problem for this constant flip flopping with offensive and defensive structures and styles with every coaching change rests squarely on the suits in OBD. Why are they hiring a rookie HC and giving him carte blanche to hire whomever he wants? Why is it that they can't insist that the new HC adhere to something like this: "hey, we've got a decent offense[defense], so bring in an OC[DC] who can/will improve on what we have"? Or, maybe, we'd like whomever you hire as DC (OC) to work with most of the starters we have now since they're really good." The last time I looked, the people doing the hiring are in charge, not the job applicants.

Not all teams have these problems, either. The Broncos' first year HC Vance Joseph had his DC, Joe Woods, keep the same alignment (3-4 I believe) as the Broncos had used under Wade Phillips because the Ponies already had a great D with some great players, starting with Von Miller, rather than go with the defensive structure that he was most used to. The Denver new OC, Mike McCoy, has designed an offense that fits the players he's got, too, not tossing away the team's talent to get "his guys".

SO WHAT?!?!?!?! Rex didn't improve our offense like McDermott improved our defense!

Next draft and season they address the offense like they did the defense this season. You are obviously impatient as hell. Fixing this Whaley/Ryan mess TAKES TIME!!!!!!

Ah, the proverbial "wait until next year!" only in the Bills' case, it's not about winning next year, it's getting ready to win next year. Of course, "next year" never comes because the Bills change coaching regimes about twice a presidential election cycle.

Yolo has been all over McProcesses lack of poker face. He seemed very on board with the Sammy Transaction as a tough decision that best for the team.

They basically replaced two starters with two other starters and got some draft picks to boot.

Thus far, aside from all the imaginary projection of what would have been, the results and production of the respective players have been on par.

Not quite. They replaced two good starting WRs with a JAG and a rookie, and the results have certainly not been "on par."

• Robert Woods has 22 catches and 0 TDs for 322 yards while Sammy Watkins has 15 receptions and 2 TDs for 222 yards. That's 37 catches, 544 yards and 2 TDs combined.
  • Jordan Matthews has 10 catches for 1 TD and 162 yards while Zay Jones has 5 catches and 66 yards. That's 15 catches, 228 yards, and 1 TD combined.

Dude, Peterman is NOT superman, although you keep politicking for him to be annointed SAVIOR . He probably needs an even better OL than Taylor.

i totally disagree with this statement...lets see how it plays out at the half way point with a new OC and new scheme and missing what few weapons they have.

The Bills have an OL that is still struggling to adapt to a new blocking scheme. With Matthews and Clay injured, the Bills don't have a single NFL caliber receiver, and the running game is anemic for several reasons besides the poor OL play. With Vlad Ducasse still on the roster and Tolbert and Banyard as McCoy's backups, playing Russian roulette is McDermott's and Dennison's game. Lack of talent is going to bite this team in the arse big time as the season goes on ...

Great/good coaches figure out how to maximize the talent they have; they're adaptable. Crappy coaches can only see one way to win games, and they have to have "their guys" to do it (at least according to them). I'll say it again: IMO McDermott seem to bears depressing resemblance to Dick Jauron, which doesn't bode well for the Bills ending the drought any time soon.

Nonsense. HCs, OCs, and DCs are NOT responsible for "teaching principles". They are designing strategies to beat opponents, and they are creating the offensive and defensive plays. Coaches who can only design strategies and plays they've personally experienced aren't really good candidates for HC, OC or DC jobs. It takes more than rote learning. It takes imagination.

The problem for this constant flip flopping with offensive and defensive structures and styles with every coaching change rests squarely on the suits in OBD. Why are they hiring a rookie HC and giving him carte blanche to hire whomever he wants? Why is it that they can't insist that the new HC adhere to something like this: "hey, we've got a decent offense[defense], so bring in an OC[DC] who can/will improve on what we have"? Or, maybe, we'd like whomever you hire as DC (OC) to work with most of the starters we have now since they're really good." The last time I looked, the people doing the hiring are in charge, not the job applicants.

Not all teams have these problems, either. The Broncos' first year HC Vance Joseph had his DC, Joe Woods, keep the same alignment (3-4 I believe) as the Broncos had used under Wade Phillips because the Ponies already had a great D with some great players, starting with Von Miller, rather than go with the defensive structure that he was most used to. The Denver new OC, Mike McCoy, has designed an offense that fits the players he's got, too, not tossing away the team's talent to get "his guys".

Actually a Offensive line coaches job is to teach the principles of the scheme correctly...

And clearly the coaches we brought in will not or cannot run kromers blocking scheme...

Its not as easy as it sounds... just keep the offense

Our coaches CANT TEACH IT. It's not their offense. A offensive coordinator who has 25 + years in a mobile zone scheme CANNOT jump ship to a Power O offense. It's why coaches stick with the schemes they have developed over 25 years.

The Broncos New defensive coordinator was ON STAFF... He knew the defense already... completely different

Edited by Buffalo716

Nope. Not even close.

he's close... McD has not put in the right people to run the offense. I can't blame him like we blamed Rex because Rex had a chance to keep continuity and chose to blow it up. McD had to settle for Dennison and we can only hope and pray they get it together soon, because this dog race is wide open.

he's close... McD has not put in the right people to run the offense. I can't blame him like we blamed Rex because Rex had a chance to keep continuity and chose to blow it up. McD had to settle for Dennison and we can only hope and pray they get it together soon, because this dog race is wide open.

Look, I'm not going to belabor the point. It wasn't McD's decision to get rid of anyone. The guys who had a hand in the Bills' running success were either fired (Roman) or left on their own (Lynn) and weren't coming back. He had to replace them with someone and his first 2 choices were taken. Meanwhile the unit that he's responsible for improved immensely. Again I hope Dennison realizes that TT is what he is and looks at how the running game worked over the past 2 years and goes back to it. Otherwise it's more of the same.

McD coached defense and not very well might I add . He should count his lucky stars that he hired that he hired a real Defensive Coordinator with a long track record of success in Leslie Frasier sorry McD don't get credit for what Leslie Frasier has done

Is this for real? He obviously had defensive success coordinating in Carolina. Forget about that?

Look, I'm not going to belabor the point. It wasn't McD's decision to get rid of anyone. The guys who had a hand in the Bills' running success were either fired (Roman) or left on their own (Lynn) and weren't coming back. He had to replace them with someone and his first 2 choices were taken. Meanwhile the unit that he's responsible for improved immensely. Again I hope Dennison realizes that TT is what he is and looks at how the running game worked over the past 2 years and goes back to it. Otherwise it's more of the same.

McD certainly had option to retain some of the coaches who were fired.

OL Coach/Run Game Coordinator Juan Castillo - Hired 1/13

Defensive Coordinator Leslie Frazier - Hired 1/13

Special Teams Coordinator Danny Crossman - Retained 1/13

Head Coach Sean McDermott - Hired 1/12

Asst. DL Coach Jason Rebrovich - Hired As Asst. OL Coach with Jaguars 1/20

WR Coach Sanjay Lal - Hired As WR Coach with Colts 1/25

OL coach Aaron Kromer - Fired 1/31

WR Coach Phil McGeoghan - Hired 2/2

It is why I changed alias from Lemonaid to Limeaid - I felt he dumped the baby with bath water.

I like some of the new coaches but it appears from an outsider point of view he did not think the offense scheme was workable for what he wanted, a team which could go deep into playoffs.