Worst WR corps ever? + collateral damage to DropZone Jones

BADOLBILZ

They are inexperienced and need work. Zay is a rookie and Holmes and Clay from other teams looking to make a name for themselves. Not every player steps in right away and makes an immediate impact. From what I got out Of McDermotts press conference, he seems pretty happy to have these guys on the field learning and still being in position to win games.

Having Taylor as a QB doesnt really benefit these guys. He has too suck it up and start getting these guys involved. If he throws a good ball and they dont catch it it is on them not Taylor. These are the guys he has to work with, it aint changing. This passing game is based on quick decisions, the only quick decision Taylor made Sunday was the TD pass, and it was beautiful. Start getting the ball out quicker and let them make a play instead of waiting until guys are wide open. Its the NFL, guys dont stay wide open long.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor is "average" in a run-oriented (heavily read-option) offensive system.

He's very below average in a normal NFL offensive system.

Ok argue semantics. Point remains. Good receivers help out every QB. If they didn't then everyone would fill their roster with the Andre Holmes and the Kaelin Clays of the world. Bill Belichick wouldn't be spending a first and third round pick on Cooks.

Tom has done some good things with mostly no great help at WR.

No not really. Gronk, Hernandez, Moss, Edelman, Welker, Cooks, Branch. Those guys are all worlds better than anyone on the Bills roster. Yes Brady can make receivers better. He is the greatest of all time, but don't downplay some of the talent the guy has had. Ive already posted his significant stat drop with just Edelman out since 2009. Its even worse with both Edelman and Gronk out. If he didn't have Cooks this year they wouldn't be very good.

The WRs might suck but we have a qb who sucks at throwing to WRs.

And did anyone see the Bears WRs last night?

Yeah and look what happened. The Bears sucked.

Edited by Scott7975

Ok argue semantics. Point remains. Good receivers help out every QB. If they didn't then everyone would fill their roster with the Andre Holmes and the Kaelin Clays of the world. Bill Belichick wouldn't be spending a first and third round pick on Cooks.

No not really. Gronk, Hernandez, Moss, Edelman, Welker, Cooks, Branch. Those guys are all worlds better than anyone on the Bills roster. Yes Brady can make receivers better. He is the greatest of all time, but don't downplay some of the talent the guy has had. Ive already posted his significant stat drop with just Edelman out since 2009. Its even worse with both Edelman and Gronk out. If he didn't have Cooks this year they wouldn't be very good.

Yeah and look what happened. The Bears sucked.

Better QBs also make WRs look good.

Do you remember Welker in Miami? It took a few years before Edelman broke out in NE. It actually took Welker leaving. Now that Edleman is hurt, Hogan seems to be having his best start to his season. And Branch was a quality player, but he wasnt great. He really only had one big season. Never the less, these guys all got Tom Brady throwing them the ball, that makes a huge difference. They all had few years under their belt before they really started to produce.

Our guys are all raw and have TT throwing them the ball. Taylors the veteran here, he needs to be the guy stepping up if this is gonna improve. Too much inexperience WR and a shaky QB. Like I said in the post above, seems coach wants these guys on the field learning now.

Thing is, if tyrod just steps up a bit he has about another second to get the ball off. Could have hit our man on the hash on the last drive. I'm really not sure why he won't shuffle forwards, usually he is good at buying himself time.

+1 i noticed this too, he went from running too soon to not even climbimg the pocket and then taking sacks. Just take a few steps and throw it, such a small but huge difference.

Better QBs also make WRs look good.

Do you remember Welker in Miami? It took a few years before Edelman broke out in NE. It actually took Welker leaving. Now that Edleman is hurt, Hogan seems to be having his best start to his season. And Branch was a quality player, but he wasnt great. He really only had one big season. Never the less, these guys all got Tom Brady throwing them the ball, that makes a huge difference. They all had few years under their belt before they really started to produce.

Our guys are all raw and have TT throwing them the ball. Taylors the veteran here, he needs to be the guy stepping up if this is gonna improve. Too much inexperience WR and a shaky QB. Like I said in the post above, seems coach wants these guys on the field learning now.

I stated right in my post that Brady makes WRs better. This is the goat we are talking about here though. Not too many QBs make receivers actually better. They either run good routes, get separation, and catch a football or they don't.

Seriously, if Tom Brady had our receiving core of Holmes, Jones, Oleary, Tate and nothing but... do you honestly think he is anywhere near as dominant? I don't think its even close. Sure, he would do better than Taylor does... greatest of all time and all... but I don't think he looks anywhere near what he looks now.

I missed the Falcons game and was watching it last night. This dude (KC) can't track the football in the air. Hotrod threw him a long pass and he slowed up looking for it like it was going to he short and then at the last minute dove but couldn't reach it. If he had just kept running, it would have been in the right place to catch.

He did one similar later on. That one might have still been over thrown, but he slowed down looking for it. :(

I have a problem with him on the field. Did you notice his blocking by chance ?

Sean is freaking me out here

I stated right in my post that Brady makes WRs better. This is the goat we are talking about here though. Not too many QBs make receivers actually better. They either run good routes, get separation, and catch a football or they don't.

Seriously, if Tom Brady had our receiving core of Holmes, Jones, Oleary, Tate and nothing but... do you honestly think he is anywhere near as dominant? I don't think its even close. Sure, he would do better than Taylor does... greatest of all time and all... but I don't think he looks anywhere near what he looks now.

Its gonna take time, thats what im saying. Still Taylor is the leader, hes the veteran, if its gonna get better his game has to be the one that improves first. Anyone thinking we can just go get a guy and plug him in is crazy. Taylor is just getting accustomed to Clay now after 2 years. He was inconsistent with Sammy most if the time and he rarely ever used Woods. Matthews didnt really light it up before he got injured. Taylors gotta face his demons first before these WRs start making plays. Guys have been getting separation the past couple years, Taylor is just waiting for them to become completely open. He has no anticipation at all. The WRs are young and very inexperienced, its all we have though.

Im not looking for miracles either. Our passing game has been bad the past 3 years. Actually, for a long !@#$ing time but were talking about Taylor. Id have more respect for Taylor if he was trying to make plays and making some mistakes in the process instead of always taking the easy/safe way out. Sunday the only time I seen him make a quick decision all day was on the TD pass, and it was perfect.

Its gonna take time, thats what im saying. Still Taylor is the leader, hes the veteran, if its gonna get better his game has to be the one that improves first. Anyone thinking we can just go get a guy and plug him in is crazy. Taylor is just getting accustomed to Clay now after 2 years. He was inconsistent with Sammy most if the time and he rarely ever used Woods. Matthews didnt really light it up before he got injured. Taylors gotta face his demons first before these WRs start making plays. Guys have been getting separation the past couple years, Taylor is just waiting for them to become completely open. He has no anticipation at all. The WRs are young and very inexperienced, its all we have though.

Im not looking for miracles either. Our passing game has been bad the past 3 years. Actually, for a long !@#$ing time but were talking about Taylor. Id have more respect for Taylor if he was trying to make plays and making some mistakes in the process instead of always taking the easy/safe way out. Sunday the only time I seen him make a quick decision all day was on the TD pass, and it was perfect.

That's all fair

I guess my point was you have to replace MG and JW somehow and only have so many picks.... so banyard is a placeholder vet.

I'm not saying right or wrong but I think that's at least a factor in play. It's easy to drop young guys and you can only backfill that with so many young guys in one offseason

Disagree STRONGLY with the bolded.

You can backfill with young players like crazy if your intent is to build for the future........in the process finding some young players who could emerge as controllable key young players in the near future.

In fact, that's exactly what the Bills did when Buddy Nix took over.

And Whaley always worked the waiver wire for young talent as well..........sometimes to relative extremes like the putting novice TE Logan Thomas on the 53 man roster last season.

Spots like Banyard holds have long gone to young players.........like Mike Gillislee, for instance.......and that has really helped them build what has been fairly deep, playoff-worthy roster for the past 4-5 seasons.

What the Bills are doing now is very different.........I'd say they are the kind of decisions veteran teams with their contending window closing would make.........but even veteran teams backfill these spots with young players.

They aren't likely to find enough long term young starters like Nix did with Urbik and Chandler to even approach replacing the veterans that will be falling off in the next couple of seasons..........mainly because they aren't even TRYING to find those guys.

Zay ideally should have been a slot receiver with a true number 1 and another decent veteran on the roster. But they made the move with Sammy and Matthews the player they brought in to alleviate Sammy's absence got hurt. Zay is going to have to grow up quick. Hopefully a bye week clears his head and he settles down. Zay is getting open he just needs to haul the ball in. He will get the snaps and the chances its just up to him to deliver.

Zay ideally should have been a slot receiver with a true number 1 and another decent veteran on the roster. But they made the move with Sammy and Matthews the player they brought in to alleviate Sammy's absence got hurt. Zay is going to have to grow up quick. Hopefully a bye week clears his head and he settles down. Zay is getting open he just needs to haul the ball in. He will get the snaps and the chances its just up to him to deliver.

I see posts like these each week with no change.

In 2006 the Pats* featured a receiving core led by Reche Caldwell (61 receptions 760 yards 4 TD's those numbers led the Pats in all 3 of those categories that year) and tightend Ben Watson (49 receptions 643 yards and 3 TD's.) Brady's numbers that year were 3529 yards, 24 TD's to 12 INT's with a 61.8 completion percentage.

Certainly decent to good numbers but Brady was clearly negatively impacted by not having much offensive talent. The next off-season they acquired Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Donte Stallworth, Brady's numbers exploded and they nearly won every game despite the fact that the defense got worse compared to the year before.

Overall you can't put it all on the QB. Even Tom Brady got highly impacted by the talent around him.

I see posts like these each week with no change.

It's because he isn't catching the ball despite getting open enough to get a decent amount of targets. It's baptism by fire for this kid, he is just going to have to go out there and do it. He can only go up from here in all honesty, sometimes its best for a struggling young player to know that he isn't going to get benched. The Yankees had to call up Jeter back in 1996 after an injury to their starting shortstop. He struggled a bit at first but because they had no one else to turn to they just kept trotting Jeter out there. Jeter settled down and the rest is history. Not saying Zay is going to be a HOF player but for a struggling young player sometimes it is best just to play through the struggles.

Edited by billsfan89

Not yet. Roof going on this week, pool and FL Room still need to be replaced and or fixed

Sorry to hesar that.

If I lived in hurricane zone I would build in a area high enough it would not flood then construct a cement bunker only about 25% above ground. Put in a propane tank for power during the outages.etc etc.....

The bolded is just not true and I gotta' call it out because it skews the reality of the situation.

It's just a BAD WR corps......not simply young or inexperienced.

Brandon Tate is OLD and probably would be in his second year of retirement if not for the Bills........Andre Holmes is not young.......Kaelin Clay stinks and is in his third year.........that is 3 of your 4 active WR and 4th year veteran Philly Brown is on speed dial..........this is not a young WR corps......there might not be another WR corps in the NFL with only 1 WR(Jones) in their first or second season on the 53 man roster.

For his part Taylor has shown a lot of improvement with regard to throwing with anticipation...........he made what should have been a game winning anticipation throw to Dropzone at the end of the Carolina game..........and he was rewarded with a bad route and an incomplete pass.

THAT is the issue now.........if he's comfortable with the target he'll make that pass.........but he's wise enough to know that he doesn't get the leeway to make mistakes that a young first round pick QB would get........he has to be accountable for the entire offense's production or he will get benched.