Forum software feature: Yay or Nay?

SDS

Main problem I have is the reply function, which works half the time on my iPhone 6. I now use the edit function to post replies , otherwise, half of them end up three posts below my original quote.

Also, it's tough/ time consuming to scroll through all the subjects in the Stadium wall and ( I'm lazy, I admit) but the " search" function requires me to hit the icon in the corner, pick forum and type in search words. Auto correct comes into play and it's just a pain in the arse.

If there was a TT group that showed all sub groups of TT threads it would ease finding my particular subject.

This is where I am at. I want it easier not harder. I want to look quick and move on. I like the idea of going to a thread and knowing the entire thing is all about said subject.

Now with so many threads on one subject it could have like 15 threads to look through, it's a pain now can you imagine adding more with these clubs adding there own threads to it. Too much time Im way too lazy for that. If there is too much to look at I'll end up missing more then half of it.

Edited by xRUSHx

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have a lot of posters, like myself, who enjoy reading the content. But rarely post. Hence if club participation is by invite only, the lurkers and random posters would miss a lot of good discussion.

Even threads like tailgating for a game I often read, even though I'm not going to be there. It just allows me to live vicariously through the posters that get that opportunity.

Why can't it just be created by the main system, a only mod type function instead of the clubs. Just create a page for each subject like below.

Offense .(no QB talk)

Defense .

QB.

RB.

Any player. but no QB talk

Head coach.

Coordinators

Current GM .

Owner .

Past head coaches .

Past GMs

Past players

Around the NFL

This week's opponent.

FAs available

Your team ideas

Draft .

Stadium.

College players watch

Away game meetups

Home game meetups

A very mad thread.

Good times thread

Players you want the Bills to sign

Playoffs

Gameday(closed 24 hours after game)

Media

Good story

HOF

The wall

Gameday food and tailgating

If you want a thread added thread

Problems your having with the board thread

I would think simplifying it would make it really easy to use and would stop multiple threads starting on the same subject. Take away people making a thread they would have to put it where it belongs. I think letting posters create clubs will split this board up and create a bunch of areas to clean up for the mods over just what we have now. Not letting posters start there own thread will clean up the mess. Tyrods 15 threads all in one and so on.

What is funny is we now have two threads about this subject. Take away people's right to make a thread. Mods could always add a thread if enough people want it added just by talking about it in that thread.

the problem with this is topics can also get derailed in a good way. You could be taking about a play the QB didn't make in a QB thread and then it gets changed to what the wr did wrong or blockers, etc. Letting people create their own threads is fine because it will either stay open, get closed out get buried. I see plenty of threads open and quickly move to the bottom of the page because ppl either don't want to comment or think it's not worth the discussion. Edited by The Wiz

the problem with this is topics can also get derailed in a good way. You could be taking about a play the QB didn't make in a QB thread and then it gets changed to what the wr did wrong or blockers, etc. Letting people create their own threads is fine because it will either stay open, get closed out get buried. I see plenty of threads open and quickly move to the bottom of the page because ppl either don't want to comment or think it's not worth the discussion.

I see what your saying but posters can remind posters it's a QB thread only and so on. Then the mods can come in and move a WR quote over to the WR thread and so on. Mods would still work they would just work less in my opinion.

The problem I see with all these threads bouncing out of the main page is a poster will put a bunch of time on his post and it will get buried because the thread went nowhere so now that poster has to copy/repost that hard worked post if he wants it to be seen and sadly we could many times miss out on a really good post someone put in before they left for the day because said thread dropped off the front page. When said poster returns the next day they dont bother to copy/repost or even add anything to the new thread on the topic because the last hard worked post turned into a waste of time. In my opinion posters shouldn't be allowed to start a thread that alone stops multiple garbage threads

Edited by xRUSHx

There seem to be a lot of complaints about duplicate and unnecessary threads and I wonder if there would be a similar proliferation of clubs.

Also, I'm assuming this is a feature that could be turned on in the future after the initial migration to the new site so my suggestion is to hold off on adding clubs for now.

I see what your saying but posters can remind posters it's a QB thread only and so on. Then the mods can come in and move a WR quote over to the WR thread and so on. Mods would still work they would just work less in my opinion.

The problem I see with all these threads bouncing out of the main page is a poster will put a bunch of time on his post and it will get buried because the thread went nowhere so now that poster has to repost that hard worked post and sadly we could many times miss out on a real good post someone put in before they left the day. In my opinion posters shouldn't be allowed to start a thread that alone stops multiple garbage threads

well it's one thing to moderate a thread. read the title, check the op's comment and see if it fits into another thread.

Having to go post by post would seem like 10x the work if something like that happened.

I honestly don't see a lot of threads get ignored that are actually well thought out threads.

When someone starts a thread that has been seen multiple times with a different start, fact, rationale, etc. They tend to fall on deaf ears.

What you're saying makes sense but with the amount of people that come here and post I would prefer to see everything at once and decide which to look at and which to let fall off the front page.

well it's one thing to moderate a thread. read the title, check the op's comment and see if it fits into another thread.

Having to go post by post would seem like 10x the work if something like that happened.

I honestly don't see a lot of threads get ignored that are actually well thought out threads.

When someone starts a thread that has been seen multiple times with a different start, fact, rationale, etc. They tend to fall on deaf ears.

What you're saying makes sense but with the amount of people that come here and post I would prefer to see everything at once and decide which to look at and which to let fall off the front page.

Right on man glad we can agree. All I'm saying is If a QB thread is set up to just be a QB thread you will never miss a real good post because it will always be there just scroll in that set subject.

The major reason I like the set subject thread for each category is to stop the call out threads or the this player is garbage or that player is garbage type thread titles. Multiple threads started just because someone didn't like how the thread they started on that subject went so they recreate it all over again in hopes of different results. We would never have a thread fall off so no need to even search for a thread title. I get many like to look at thread title ideas some post on a whim of a moment but I think I would enjoy reading a post of it and not search 3 pages to see what I missed in each of the 15 threads that fell off then have to search to see if any other in said subject was brought up while I was gone. With one set subject thread all I have to do is scroll the one thread dedicated to just that subject. Just my opinion

Look at how many threads get hyjacked into Tyrod threads. I dont see that stopping. Those with an agenda will find a way to push their agenda

In my opinion sure you would see a post or two of someone trying to take a set subject into a different subject for their agenda but that's where mods can come in to tell them to stop as oppose to just ignoring them letting them turning every thread into whatever they want like they do now. In my opinion we have way too many threads and not letting someone start a thread would clean things up much easier for the mods in my opinion. How can they stop hyjack threads now? Like it isn't a problem now. With having a title for coaches and QB talk is pushed mods can move those comments out and boom it's fixed as opposed to now how you have to watch a real good thread fall off just to be restarted with a new title, wash repeat

15 different threads to read on one subject every night

Edited by xRUSHx

Is there an internet/message board equivalent of an electric collar or fence?

*checks Twitter*

No.

Lol, society just don't care anymore I guess I shouldn't be mad but happy you corrected me in such a nice manor. Thank you I won't use click in the same way again. Isn't it Iconic don't ya tink..lol

"Manner." Jesus... :wallbash:

I think your just hurting his self of steam and he's taking it to Hart.

Lol, hurting him here thier and every wear.

Spell checkers and grammar gods don't get the using a phone is a pain in the butt. I don't mind it I get a chuckle out being corrected. Sadly some of the words he is correcting me is correct it's just the phone changes stuff and it really stinks but oh well troubles us phone posters go through

So, in taking a fresh look at the latest release of our current software, a new feature caught my eye:

Clubs

This is the IPB answer to Facebook groups. It would allow the creation of user created clubs/groups within the community.

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/new-clubs-r1017

There is a lot to digest in that article about the feature. It is VERY intriguing. I'd like to hear some feedback on this and if anyone could see a use for them.

I used groups on one of my boards and it was somewhat popular at first because it was brand new. however once the shine wore off it was mostly a dinosaur that ate up unnecessary disk space. as another poster said, 'aren't we all one big group'?

well, you know... 'cept the Tygod groupies....

Hey, I always have thought there should be special sub BBs for special types of people :

Kool Aide Drinkers & Rose Colored Glasses Only- for those that think being a fan means never questioning the players, coaches or management . Only positive statements and discussions supporting them, no matter what.

Grammar Nazis Only - It not important what you say, it is how grammatically correct you say it.

It would make TBD more pleasant for non Kool Aide drinkers and Grammar Nazis and they would be less irritated :nana: by those that don't think and write the way they do.

Seriously, at least 20 - 30% of every longer thread ends up being someone personally insulting other posters rather than discussing issues and facts.