Forum software feature: Yay or Nay?

SDS

While sometimes I wish some posters would just jump in their own forum section so they can be miserable together... I feel like a feature like this would either not be used enough to be worth it or it would divide the community up too much.

Edited by Scott7975

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't it just be created by the main system, a only mod type function instead of the clubs. Just create a page for each subject like below.

Offense .(no QB talk)

Defense .

QB.

RB.

WR.

Any player. but no QB talk

Head coach.

Coordinators

Current GM .

Owner .

Past head coaches .

Past GMs

Past players

Injury reports

Around the NFL

This week's opponent.

FAs available

Your team ideas

Draft .

Stadium.

College players watch

Away game meetups

Home game meetups

A very mad thread.

Good times thread

Players you want the Bills to sign

Playoffs

Gameday(closed 24 hours after game)

Media

Good story

HOF

The wall

Off season

Gameday food and tailgating

Places to visit in Buffalo

If you want a thread added thread

Problems your having with the board thread

I would think simplifying it would make it really easy to use and would stop multiple threads starting on the same subject. Take away people making a thread they would have to put it where it belongs. I think letting posters create clubs will split this board up and create a bunch of areas to clean up for the mods over just what we have now. Not letting posters start there own thread will clean up the mess. Tyrods 15 threads all in one and so on.

What is funny is we now have two threads about this subject. Take away people's right to make a thread. Mods could always add a thread if enough people want it added just by talking about it in that thread.

I foresee dozens of pages that never reach critical mass and become wastelands just like we have now with the Consumer and Baseball forums.

What is listed above is a good list of threads.

SDS - I like the way its done on Sabre Space. Create one running official thread for beer, TV shows, Hot for Teacher, advice for Chef Jim, etc.

I foresee dozens of pages that never reach critical mass and become wastelands just like we have now with the Consumer and Baseball forums.

Kinda my thought too. Clubs would be created as jokes, (Retatta And It's Uses Club, Homework Club, Illegal Downloads And The People They Hurt Club) that start out strong and then just die. There should be some type of approval process by the admins/mods for a club to be created, not allowing anyone to start one.

I think our moderators do a good job offer monitoring for this kind of stuff. Sounds kind of elitist to me. "I don't like Dopey so he can't play with us". Actually, sounds like a place where only "like-minded" people can hang out in. As for bullying on this forum, you can't bully me from behind a keyboard. So the group you're in are all Saints? Again, sounds elitist to me. JMHO.

And exactly what is wrong with like minded people hanging out to discuss a common interest while wanting to cut out some of the BS that distracts from the discussion? I get it that some people want to discuss recipes, I get some people feel the only way they can get a point across is to incessantly insert it into each and every thread, I get some people want to prove how clever they are by repeating some once funny phrase over and over and over well past its "sell by date", I get some people feel that calling out people who disagree with them (or correcting grammar) somehow enhances their manhood.

Call it elitist if you'd like, I tend to think about it as getting my Bills news minus the BS.

Exiled BBMBers will continue to get sh*t no matter the format of the board. :nana:

But srsly, I don't think this feature would be about "dividing" anyone, and I certainly don't think SDS or the mods would let that happen anyway. I'm envisioning it looking kinda like the current setup of sub-forums, but with users having much more say in the creation of those sub-forums. So, like in my example earlier in this thread, I could see a "Rochester Fans" club being useful. We can talk about where in town to go watch the games, best routes to/from Orchard Park from ROC (if you're not in a hurry post-game, 20A all the way to Warsaw and then up 19 is a gorgeous and relaxing drive in the fall), rendezvous points for carpools (my crew always uses the Home Depot parking lot off of 490/Buffalo Rd in Gates) and any other random things only ROC fans would care about, without cluttering up any main boards.

So I see it as being a constructive way to have people gather around shared interests, and not a way to create "Elite Posters Only" clubs.

EDIT: One other point, because I see the other thread on the message board migration has been locked. I would very much be in favor of purging inactive users, selfishly because I'd like to change my screen name to "jimmy." There is a "jimmy" on the roll, but he signed up 13 years ago and hasn't been active since.

Yeah I don't have a problem being harassed or picked on because of being exBBMB, it was more of an example that applies to me, and I can fend for myself, but just wouldn't want to be locked out of content.

If the roles were reversed and TBD integrated into bbmb, there is no way... oh wait, nevermind it would be just the same... cliques tend to be "clicky", go figure.

I get your point, and if it is more customized or specialized subforum as you describe, that would be awesome and a true benefit to the site. As long as anyone besides Scott doesn't have the ability to exclude certain posters, for any reason, I would be "on board" so to speak.