Forum software feature: Yay or Nay?

SDS

So, in taking a fresh look at the latest release of our current software, a new feature caught my eye:

Clubs

This is the IPB answer to Facebook groups. It would allow the creation of user created clubs/groups within the community.

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/new-clubs-r1017

There is a lot to digest in that article about the feature. It is VERY intriguing. I'd like to hear some feedback on this and if anyone could see a use for them.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't we all one big group?

What's Facebook 😉😉

Do we assume all clubs are open?

I'm not making any assumptions here. I'm wondering how people might see themselves using such a feature.

Fantasy football discussion for TBD leagues.

The Garbage Plate club

Regular road trip travelers

Etc...

There is already little clicks on here that stick together, I guess it would just show the click a little easier for the ones not knowing this and that club/click.

In my opinion the club thing shouldn't be allowed since we should all be considered one group/club, the Buffalo Bills fan club. I would think the club option would separate fans more as oppose to bringing them togther. Just my opinion and that is nay

Edited by xRUSHx

There is already little clicks on here that stick together, I guess it would just show the click a little easier for the ones not knowing this and that club/click.

In my opinion the club thing shouldn't be allowed since we should all be considered one group/club, the Buffalo Bills fan club. I would think the club option would separate fans more as oppose to bringing them togther. Just my opinion and that is nay

Agree. I like the idea, but I think it's overly utopian, and the way it would play out is people isolating themselves, or worse isolating others...I haven't read the article yet though, so this is my baseline opinion...let me read it later and chime back in.

That said...if there is a way to run some machine learning algorithms to cluster people into clubs, and give a badge or something based on posting style, that would be really, really cool and I would be very much down to help implement something like that here (know me some R and have been trying to learn some text analytic sentiment analysis).

I would like the "club option" ... IMHO, it seems that one would be able to create a club for serious posts/discussions and eliminate the trolls, crusaders, and silly pap that seems to have overrun the site lately.

It gets tiring wading through the posts from people who think they are clever by posting nonsense, or starting arguments just because they get some inflated sense of manhood by the anonymous bulling that goes on here sometimes. It would be glorious to be able to discuss the offense without somebody posting that TT sucks for the billionth time, or that we shouldn't have traded Sammy for the millionth time, or suffer through countless recipes of people just trying to hijack the thread.

I think my only initial objection would be sub groups to discuss the Bills. I wouldn't want any splintering of the larger discussion elsewhere.

I feel the same. I know there are posters that put everything on the main page only because there are no sub groups. I get the feeling that if there were sub groups that content would likely end up in multiple places (main page and different subs).

So basically you would have everyone, sub A and sub B all discussing the same thing in 3 different threads which is something I know you and the other mods try to keep from happening.

It's a great feature; just don't think it fits the purpose of the community.

My 2 cents anyways.

I would like the "club option" ... IMHO, it seems that one would be able to create a club for serious posts/discussions and eliminate the trolls, crusaders, and silly pap that seems to have overrun the site lately.

It gets tiring wading through the posts from people who think they are clever by posting nonsense, or starting arguments just because they get some inflated sense of manhood by the anonymous bulling that goes on here sometimes. It would be glorious to be able to discuss the offense without somebody posting that TT sucks for the billionth time, or that we shouldn't have traded Sammy for the millionth time, or suffer through countless recipes of people just trying to hijack the thread.

Don't you think this would end up alienating more serious poster than it would the trolls and crusaders though? You would basically need to create a private club and invite everyone but the few people that could just as easily be blocked/ignored on your own. I know what you mean about all the extra junk that gets thrown into threads but you are going to get that no matter what unless people start issuing warnings to abusive posters.

On the other hand, we could put in one place all the people that can't spell "clique," and never have to see that again.

Don't you think this would end up alienating more serious poster than it would the trolls and crusaders though? You would basically need to create a private club and invite everyone but the few people that could just as easily be blocked/ignored on your own. I know what you mean about all the extra junk that gets thrown into threads but you are going to get that no matter what unless people start issuing warnings to abusive posters.

Actually you could start a private club and only invite the posters that you respect their contributions to the site. It becomes pretty apparent after a while what is the wheat and what is the chaff. Like a previous poster had commented, this site seems to have been reduced to a number of clicks anyway, my problem is with the clicks seemingly trying to sabotage each others threads making them all but unreadable. We used to be eat up with Grammar Nazis, now we seem to have more than our share of people who take particular glee in shutting down threads because the topic is being discussed elsewhere, or people feigning horror at the poster who starts a thread during a game.

The Wiz, I like the sub group idea a lot and you raise a great point of duplicate conversations, aside from possibly isolating people. To add to what The Wiz mentioned, what if instead of grouping people, we grouped topics in a hierarchy. Example, there is a Bills Offense discussion, with a main thread, but then you would have sub threads below that hiearchy, where people could start individual discussions that are more targeted towards a specific nuance of the offense.

Maybe have tags associated with the threads so it would all post to the main thread, but you could follow the specific conversation much more easily if you are interested in a specific aspect of the offense in the sub thread associated with that tag. Would be especially helpful since there are often several sub conversations going on in each large thread at any one time.

Actually you could start a private club and only invite the posters that you respect their contributions to the site. It becomes pretty apparent after a while what is the wheat and what is the chaff. Like a previous poster had commented, this site seems to have been reduced to a number of clicks anyway, my problem is with the clicks seemingly trying to sabotage each others threads making them all but unreadable. We used to be eat up with Grammar Nazis, now we seem to have more than our share of people who take particular glee in shutting down threads because the topic is being discussed elsewhere, or people feigning horror at the poster who starts a thread during a game.

CLIQUE.

Are you doing this on purpose now? It is causing me physical pain.

I'm not making any assumptions here. I'm wondering how people might see themselves using such a feature.

Fantasy football discussion for TBD leagues.

The Garbage Plate club

Regular road trip travelers

Etc...

Greggy's UFO Emporium aka Imaginationland

From skimming the link SDS provided, it looks like these "clubs" can have various levels of permissions and don't necessarily have to be exclusionary.

As a season ticket holder in Rochester who tries to get to at least one road game per season, I could see a number of these "clubs" being useful for communication around a given sub-interest. Just for myself, clubs like "Rochester fans", "Rochester season ticket holders", "Bills road warriors", could all be useful. All you tailgating master chefs could trade recipes. The mods could have a private club to decide which one of us is next against the wall, etc, etc.