Tolbert

Dr. K

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Bills victory and I think this is the best coached the team has been in a very long time. I really like the way they are playing as a team.

That said, I really cannot understand what they think they are doing running Tolbert. The guy is a fullback, not a halfback. His fumble in the second half was inexcusable, and the Bills were lucky they recovered it. If Shady goes down the running game, which is struggling at best right now, goes completely south.

God, I wish they still had Jonathan Williams, or Gillislee.

Edited by Dr. K

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Bills victory and I think this is the best coached the team has been in a very long time. I really like the way they are playing as a team.

That said, I really cannot understand what they think they are doing running Tolbert. The guy is a fullback, not a halfback. His fumble in the second half was inexcusable, and the Bills were lucky they recovered it. If Shady goes down the running game, which is struggling at best right now, goes completely south.

Humber should be an occasional change of pace back, not a primary backup.

I kinda feel like they think Tolberts bruising way of running may soften defenses up some, especially in the 4th when theyre tired. But he hasnt been very effective.

I liked another post someone suggested trading for Adrian Peterson. Gives you a solid #2 and possibly not a huge drop off in production if shady has to miss time for any reason. Obviously compensation would matter but I cant see any reason the saints wouldnt dump him in a heartbeat. Its already a media headache for the saints with the touch distribution being shown 1000 times in their games and all the media questions after the games

I kinda feel like they think Tolberts bruising way of running may soften defenses up some, especially in the 4th when theyre tired. But he hasnt been very effective.

I liked another post someone suggested trading for Adrian Peterson. Gives you a solid #2 and possibly not a huge drop off in production if shady has to miss time for any reason. Obviously compensation would matter but I cant see any reason the saints wouldnt dump him in a heartbeat. Its already a media headache for the saints with the touch distribution being shown 1000 times in their games and all the media questions after the games

not a terrible idea, but I don't know if AP has much left. I wouldn't pay anything higher than a 6th for AP. I'd rather bring J Williams back.

The OP has a point. What is going on with Tolbert. And with so many RB's getting injured yesterday (or, perhaps just seems like it to me since I have Cook and Carson in fantasy) we are a McCoy injury away from chaos on offense.

Really wish we had another RB other than Tolbert... he just doesn't have the vision to hit the right hole/gap half the time, imo. And he is tackled easily most times, so the whole size advantage isn't really that much of an advantage. That being said, he's probably a good pass blocker or something, so maybe that's why he's sticking around.

Edited by Dorkington

The Jonathan Williams release is still the most puzzling move this FO did this year. He's just chilling on a practice squad ripe for the picking. He looked good in preseason was getting praise from the coaches and then he was gone. If Shady does go down then we have to rely on banyard and taiwan to carry the ball. Why did dimarco run yesterday at least use taiwan he has some speed. I don't mind seeing Tolbert make a few punishing runs because sometimes he does get decent yardage and a pile of dust. But we have to have someone we can rely on to take over if anything heaven forbid happens to Shady.

Tolbert is the slowest guy on the field, and he lacks the speed/balance for power at this point. To top it off, he nearly fumbled away a drive that half the team worked their butts off for.

They cant get McCoy much rest, and if he gets injured, this offense will be completely neutered.

This was my one point of concern from yesterday. Kind of felt that for the first 3 games, but yesterday it was as clear as can be.

Edited by May Day 10

The Jonathan Williams release is still the most puzzling move this FO did this year. He's just chilling on a practice squad ripe for the picking. He looked good in preseason was getting praise from the coaches and then he was gone. If Shady does go down then we have to rely on banyard and taiwan to carry the ball. Why did dimarco run yesterday at least use taiwan he has some speed. I don't mind seeing Tolbert make a few punishing runs because sometimes he does get decent yardage and a pile of dust. But we have to have someone we can rely on to take over if anything heaven forbid happens to Shady.

The fact that no one scooped him up even to be RB3 should answer this. I want to see Banyard get some carries soon.

I don't understand Tolbert or DiMarco. Last week Tolbert drops a sure TD, this week he fumbles. He looks old, fat and slow.

How did you like the handoff to DiMarco? Prior to it he had one carry in six years.

Well, that's why DiMarco never ever carried the ball in Atlanta. But understanding that, I still think he had an excellent game. When the running game got going in the 2nd half, it was all Shady following DiMarco's blocks. Look, he's basically an extra blocking only TE or H back. A limited player, but he does that limited thing better than anyone else. Up until yesterday he was a mystery signing to me because they weren't utilizing him as the lead blocker. The same thing happened when Felton was here - basically not part of the game plan on offense until the second half of last year, when he became a very useful role player. Now as for Tolbert - he's fine as a Mr Inside short yardage change of pace, but Shady is gonna need a more versatile speed guy as a backup. We still don't know if Banyard and Taiwan are up to that task. I suspect the fact that they haven't played tells us that even McD and Dennison have their reservations about them.

If Banyard is actually half as good as he was during the pre-season, they should be giving him a chance. I understand the whole "change of pace" idea, I understand that McD likes Tolbert in the locker room, and I also understand that he has some value on special teams. But McD has to realize eventually that he is shooting us in the foot by continuing to play Tolbert as the second back despite having 2 better options available to him