Sean "Big Steel Balls" McDermott

How can people seriously debate the wisdom of having Hauschka attempt that field goal vs. punting it away and sitting on a 3 point lead? You do realize that Hauschka had made 8 in a row from 50+ yards prior to that kick? So if he's got even a 75% chance of making it (maybe less, I'd need to look up the win expectancy charts), it's a no-brainer. No need for steel balls; simple common sense will do, and we're very fortunate that McD has a lot more of that than Trent Green or whomever it was that was suggesting it was a gutsy call...

I think it was ten in a row. I think it was seven before he made two last week. Then had already made one this game.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seriously, kicking that last field goal? I was about to have a heart attack! We punt there and Atlanta does what they do and we are playing in overtime and who knows what happens.

Where were his big steel balls when he didn't go for it on 4th down from the 1 yard line?

I was at the game and in my seat early. Watched him kick a few through from the 50-55 range when almost nobody else was on the field, and he was kicking them in the exact direction that he made both of the long ones in the game. That gave me a good feeling when they lined up.

Being up by only 6 with Matt Ryan on the other side? As a Bills fan for 35 years, I did not have such a good feeling about that situation..... but we did it!

Going for it on the 1 yard line (it was not the half yard line) was stupid. You have to be a special kind of stupid (you know, like Todd Bowles) not to take the points.

I disagree with that. You are underdog on the road against a great offence. You need 1 yard to make it a 2 score game in the 4th, go for the TD. Not going to argue with the end result but I still think he should have went for it there. Worst case scenario, you get stuffed and the falcons need to go 99 yards

I disagree with that. You are underdog on the road against a great offence. You need 1 yard to make it a 2 score game in the 4th, go for the TD. Not going to argue with the end result but I still think he should have went for it there. Worst case scenario, you get stuffed and the falcons need to go 99 yards

We clearly were able to hold their offense. They had one passing td one. What makes you think they were going to go down the field in three minutes without any timeouts and score a td missing thier top two wr assets?

Seriously, kicking that last field goal? I was about to have a heart attack! We punt there and Atlanta does what they do and we are playing in overtime and who knows what happens.

I said I'd be stunned if they kicked it but that they really kind of had no choice. It was the right call. You just can't put there to get a few yards of field position . Had to have points and it was worth any risk.

How can people seriously debate the wisdom of having Hauschka attempt that field goal vs. punting it away and sitting on a 3 point lead? You do realize that Hauschka had made 8 in a row from 50+ yards prior to that kick? So if he's got even a 75% chance of making it (maybe less, I'd need to look up the win expectancy charts), it's a no-brainer. No need for steel balls; simple common sense will do, and we're very fortunate that McD has a lot more of that than Trent Green or whomever it was that was suggesting it was a gutsy call...

Doug Marrone could. He punted on 4th and 3 from inside Jets territory with 4M left in overtime.

We have a good coach fellas. We haven't had one in a long time.

Not sure I would say he has steel balls since he decided to kick a field goal after a 10 minute drive on the Falcons 1 yard line and not trusting his team to get into the endzone.

Right now though still not sure I'm in love with some of McD's coaching but he is 3-1 and looks like this team might seriously be in the playoff chase come December.

We clearly were able to hold their offense. They had one passing td one. What makes you think they were going to go down the field in three minutes without any timeouts and score a td missing thier top two wr assets?

They got a TD right after our field goal to tie it, and on the last drive were 13 yards away... lol. You think 13 yards away with 1:00 left with matt ryan as the opposing QB is considered safe?

They got a TD right after our field goal to tie it, and on the last drive were 13 yards away... lol. You think 13 yards away with 1:00 left with matt ryan as the opposing QB is considered safe?

It took them 5:00 to get that td.

We scored a fg right after.

The defense has given up 1 passing td on something like 40 some possessions the announcers stated. To include Matt Ryan.

What had Ryan done the previous 57 minutes that mad you think he was going to 75 yards with no timeouts minus his top two wrs?

He hadnt done or shown he was capable of that the whole game.

He had 187 yards the whole previous 57 minutes but he was going to drive 40% of his total previous ossing yards in 57 minutes all in the last three minutes??

The defense has given up 1 passing td on something like 40 some possessions the announcers stated. To include Matt Ryan.

What had Ryan done the previous 57 minutes that mad you think he was going to 75 yards with no timeouts minus his top two wrs?

He had 187 yards the whole previous 57 minutes but he was going to drive 40% of his total previous ossing yards in 57 minutes all in the last three minutes??

That's exactly right. It's all about what happened in this game, who can hurt you, who is playing well, etc. there is hardly ever a situation where you automatically do something because you always do it. These decisions should always be made determined by what has happened the first 57 minutes.

Dude they were 10 yards away with 60 seconds left. Time was not a factor at all. If it wasn't from some sketchy play calling by Atlanta they probably score. You are making it sound like the bills had it in lockdown mode. Atlanta was literally 10 yards away with 3rd and 1 from the 10 with 1 minute left. Even without sanu and jones they probably score on that drive AT LEAST 5 out of 10 times

Edited by billsfan11

Going for it on the 1 yard line (it was not the half yard line) was stupid. You have to be a special kind of stupid (you know, like Todd Bowles) not to take the points.

It was ballsy. Showed a lot of confidence in his kicker.

The math says your wrong. I so hate these traditional football fans who believe John Gruden when he says, "You have to take points there!"

No, you play to win the game...they punch it in there and go up ten, the game is all but over. Instead, we had to sweat it out.

And there is some research that being up 3 is actually better than being up 6 late in a game, because most team play for the FG and the tie unless they break a big play. Down 6, they know they have to get the TD.

they should've gone for the TD on 4th and 1.