Sean "Big Steel Balls" McDermott

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seriously, kicking that last field goal? I was about to have a heart attack! We punt there and Atlanta does what they do and we are playing in overtime and who knows what happens.

I can't say he has big balls, although I like the ballsy call. His choice to not kick a long FG earlier and his choice to not go for it on the goaline I think disqualify him from the "Big Balls" credit even though that was a gutsy call at the end.

I thought it was the right call at the time, and it turned out to REALLY be the correct call. Not sure why people think it was that ballsy, it was what you do when you believe in your kicker, and want to make the other team have to score a TD.

Seriously, kicking that last field goal? I was about to have a heart attack! We punt there and Atlanta does what they do and we are playing in overtime and who knows what happens.

Finally a coach with Testosterone...Testosterone increases your willingness to take risks...

Edited by matter2003

I thought it was the right call at the time, and it turned out to REALLY be the correct call. Not sure why people think it was that ballsy, it was what you do when you believe in your kicker, and want to make the other team have to score a TD.

You could argue a smart call would have been to punt and try to pin them deep. 50+ yd field goals are not gimmies, even if your kicker is Steve "Money Man" Hauschka. He misses that and Atlanta has the ball with great field position. I thought it was very ballsy.

And what about Not going for the TD from the half yard line? What about these balls then?

Going for it on the 1 yard line (it was not the half yard line) was stupid. You have to be a special kind of stupid (you know, like Todd Bowles) not to take the points.

You could argue a smart call would have been to punt and try to pin them deep. 50+ yd field goals are not gimmies, even if your kicker is Steve "Money Man" Hauschka. He misses that and Atlanta has the ball with great field position. I thought it was very ballsy.

It was ballsy. Showed a lot of confidence in his kicker.

That's how I saw it. In a dome, when your kicker has made 10 fifty yarders in a row, and just made a 55 yarder, I thought it was a fairly easy call. I domthink, however, there are a number of NFL coaches who stupidly would not have called for it. It's funny, but it was a 55 yarder, and I was almost sure he was going to make it. I wasn't even surprised.

I didn't like that series after the second Hyde Interception, I would have liked for Dennison to call another PA on first down (see big pass to Clay on PA for the first Hauschka FG) the Falcons were expecting run on the three downs (they got Shady for a big loss on first down)

Then Hauschka drilled a 55 yard FG, you have to trust him at that point and McD did.

Speaking of McDermott, some people were mad at him at halftime supposedly for bad clock management. I didn't get that at the time.

I didn't like that series after the second Hyde Interception, I would have liked for Dennison to call another PA on first down (see big pass to Clay on PA for the first Hauschka FG) the Falcons were expecting run on the three downs (they got Shady for a big loss on first down)

Then Hauschka drilled a 55 yard FG, you have to trust him at that point and McD did.

Speaking of McDermott, some people were mad at him at halftime supposedly for bad clock management. I didn't get that at the time.

You also wanted to wind the clock down or make them use their timeouts.

How can people seriously debate the wisdom of having Hauschka attempt that field goal vs. punting it away and sitting on a 3 point lead? You do realize that Hauschka had made 8 in a row from 50+ yards prior to that kick? So if he's got even a 75% chance of making it (maybe less, I'd need to look up the win expectancy charts), it's a no-brainer. No need for steel balls; simple common sense will do, and we're very fortunate that McD has a lot more of that than Trent Green or whomever it was that was suggesting it was a gutsy call...

You also wanted to wind the clock down or make them use their timeouts.

At the time I wanted a first down because I knew Matt Ryan was good enough to come back and maybe win the game.

On another note, I loved the short kick after the White TD, it looked like an onside kick, it almost worked.