Tyrod QBR

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What am I looking at?

Is this since his first game in 2015?

If that's what you've compiled, good work :thumbsup:

Yes, that's his stats since becoming the starter in 2015, and ranks compared to 30 other QBs in the league that started at least 18 games in the same timeframe. May have missed a couple QBs if they didn't meet minimum requirements for one or more of the years (Jay Cutler in 2016, for example).

Woah, what really?

That Tyrod might still be our starter in 2018?

That's absolutely not only within the realm of possibility, but maybe even more likely than not.

We're going to draft a QB. That much is inevitable.

Where we draft him and how much we use our now vast resources to get him depends largely on Taylor's play this year.

Nothing is written in stone, including us drafting a QB in the 1st round next year.

I thought we all were in agreement with trading up for a rookie QB in 2018 to replace TT?

That's changed? Some folks are open to extending TT next season?

Taylor's under contract next year. It's an $18 M one year option, if I remember correctly, so he could very easily still be our starter next year.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

That's absolutely not only within the realm of possibility, but maybe even more likely than not.

Where we draft him and how much we use our now vast resources to get him depends largely on Taylor's play this year.

Nothing is written in stone, including us drafting a QB in the 1st round next year.

Taylor's under contract next year. It's an $18 M one year option, if I remember correctly.

It's not being negative if I say that IMO drafting a QB in the 1st round is pretty much set in stone...is it? :)

It's not being negative if I say that IMO drafting a QB in the 1st round is pretty much set in stone...is it? :)

No :flirt:

But I just disagree. Nothing's ever set in stone in the NFL and the NFL is always proving that.

I think we're incredibly likely to draft a QB in the 1st. I just think it's a little naïve to think OBD has a decision made so strongly that they aren't going to factor the next 13 games (or more...? 0:)) into their QB decision.

No :flirt:

But I just disagree. Nothing's ever set in stone in the NFL and the NFL is always proving that.

I think we're incredibly likely to draft a QB in the 1st. I just think it's a little naïve to think OBD has a decision made so strongly that they aren't going to factor the next 13 games (or more...? 0:)) into their QB decision.

I agree. I see it playing out one of two ways:

Scenario A is that Taylor plays over 75% of the remaining games similar to how he played against Denver, which was terrific. We win games where the defense didn't show up and on the strength of our offense alone and in particular Taylor's arm (and I guess feet too). We end up better than 9-7 and make a wildcard, don't get blown out, and EVERYONE is excited for next season. We take a QB in rounds 2-4 and use our enormous draft capital to plug holes and make a legitimate run at a Super Bowl in 2018.

Scenario B is that Taylor continues to be inconsistent (his good is very good, his bad is very bad) and we end up in the 6-10 to 8-8 range, draft a QB (possibly trading up) in the first round, and either bring Taylor back for a year while the rookie learns the ropes or cut bait and roll with Rook and Peterman in 2019. New staff gets their QB, sells tickets and excitement, and Super Bowl talk is put off until 2019.

I think A is the more likely of the two, but regardless I feel pretty strongly after Sunday's game that the team and staff have a direction. It was just one game, but it seemed like an important one to me. $.02

Taylor's under contract next year. It's an $18 M one year option, if I remember correctly, so he could very easily still be our starter next year.

We aren't going to draft a QB to back up Taylor, IMO.

I know he's under contract next year. I don't think he'll be extended after that. Do other people think that?

Edited by jmc12290

Scenario A is that Taylor plays over 75% of the remaining games similar to how he played against Denver, which was terrific. We win games where the defense didn't show up and on the strength of our offense alone and in particular Taylor's arm (and I guess feet too). We end up better than 9-7 and make a wildcard, don't get blown out, and EVERYONE is excited for next season.

I think even if Scenario A played out exactly like that, the Bills would still go for a first round QB. The team did not put together their hope chest of draft picks to chose a right tackle or replacement wide-out. That's not what's been sold to the fans, who are expecting high draft day drama with a god-like quarterback as the result. That said, Taylor could easily be brought back to shield their first-rounder. The very careers of McBeane will depend on their QB pick. If they throw him in the pool and he sinks, things could get very ugly. Taylor will still be cheap at starter quarterback rates. Bringing him back may look like a good choice.

Edited by grb

Still a lot of football to be played. But I think its quite clear that its way too early to write off Taylor as many of us have stated before. He still needs to consistently be able to play games like this, and I don't expect every game to be great as no QB's have a great game every week. But I do want to see the continued use of the whole the field and continue to pull the trigger.

I would love it if Taylor continued to grow like this the rest of the year so we can use most of our draft capital on improving the team. I still think we will and should take a QB in the first 3 rounds next year given we have 6 picks, but if Taylor keeps playing well we certainly wont have to be forced to trade up or take one earlier than needed.

However, like others have stated, if the consistency doesn't come we are clearly armed with ammunition to make a move if needed in the draft to get a long term prospect.

If Taylor continues to grow and passes the ball 30 x a game and us as effectively as he was Sunday, sure it could happen.

Time will tell. Constant improvement is a must.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

QB Rating and QBR STATS are not the end all.

His passing "stats" look good. But you and I both know that he's NOT a passing QB.

When TT plays and Wins 4 or 5 games with 35 to 40 passing plays and still protects the ball then we can discuss this further.

Alex Smith's QB Rating rated higher than Tom Brady after 3 weeks. These stats say what? Brady is getting old or Smith is the better QB?

Jared Goff is 3rd , Case Keenum 6th. Elite Superstars?

Aaron Rodgers is 13, Russel Wilson 15, and Dak Prescott 25th.

Is TT really better than Rodgers, Wilson?

Yards per game ranking

29th Tyrod Taylor

Since your Isolating your comparison to three games Ill go by what matters most. Wins. Tyrod has a .666 winning percentage which projects to a 10-11 win season. If we do that theres a good chance we make the post season. Thats all I care about. One thing the anti-tyrod crowd never talks about is how well he protects the ball. Ill take 200 yards passing, 2 tds, and zero turnovers over a 400 yard passing game with three picks all day long. If this offense can consistently put up 20-30 points a week with the defense playing the way it is we should win alot of games.

I know he's under contract next year. I don't think he'll be extended after that. Do other people think that?

If they win ten plus games and he keeps playing the way he did against Denver he could get extended. Why not?

If Taylor continues to grow and passes the ball 30 x a game and us as effectively as he was Sunday, sure it could happen.

So if the Bills take a lead into the fourth quarter and the coaches decide to stop trying to pass (like yesterday and against the Jets) and Tyrod finishes with 2 TDs, over 200 yards, zero turnovers, and a completion percentage over 75% then it's still not good enough because he didn't throw at least 30 passes? Edited by mannc

i gotta admit. i haven't been the biggest tt fan so far, but i will not let people forget last year's end of the season miami game. tt was 29-36? 329 3tds-0 ints. let me ask this...how many yards did sammy have? ....and if he can put up those numbers, why can't he be called upon to do it more often? let's not forget the idiots that were on the sidelines...

sure, we don't have sammy and woods, but i bet rico will be putting more on him (tt) and we will be able to compete. i am calling for a wc this year!...and that don't mean west coast.

call me anything you want but, if this staff takes it opponent by opponent, we can do 10-6. i think they are thinking ahead and not wanting to show what they may bring the next week.

other teams that are supposed to take those playoff spots will take some lumps,so....i'm all in. let's go to atlanta, get some sacks and punts, go deep early and often and i think the run game bounces back nicely. i'm going with bills 30-24. shady for a buck 20 mostly in the second half after tt has some success with passing in the first. we got this! 5 sacks, shut down the running game, pressure ryan .....yum

Edited by billsredneck1

So if the Bills take a lead into the fourth quarter and the coaches decide to stop trying to pass (like yesterday and against the Jets) and Tyrod finishes with 2 TDs, over 200 yards, zero turnovers, and a completion percentage over 75% then it's still not good enough because he didn't throw at least 30 passes?

Thank you! Its maddening the lack of context people have when checking a stupid stat box which does not tell the story of the game. Week 1, the same thing happened. I swear, some people just want us to throw when we shouldn't be throwing all for the sake of a meaningless passing yard stat.

Literally the single most misleading, over exaggerated, over rated stat in all of sports is Passing Yards. Everyone obsessed with it should go ask Drew Bree's how passing yards are helping his playoff chances.

Thank you! Its maddening the lack of context people have when checking a stupid stat box which does not tell the story of the game. Week 1, the same thing happened. I swear, some people just want us to throw when we shouldn't be throwing all for the sake of a meaningless passing yard stat.

Literally the single most misleading, over exaggerated, over rated stat in all of sports is Passing Yards. Everyone obsessed with it should go ask Drew Bree's how passing yards are helping his playoff chances.

The passing yards arguement is so stupid

TT has been pretty efficient without actually getting the running game going for 2 of the 3 games

The only thing I wanna see is a whole body of work over a number of games to show consistancy and not keep yo yo ing up and down in efficiency....

Other then that? Im happy. Our team finally has its identity back

I agree. I see it playing out one of two ways:

Scenario A is that Taylor plays over 75% of the remaining games similar to how he played against Denver, which was terrific. We win games where the defense didn't show up and on the strength of our offense alone and in particular Taylor's arm (and I guess feet too). We end up better than 9-7 and make a wildcard, don't get blown out, and EVERYONE is excited for next season. We take a QB in rounds 2-4 and use our enormous draft capital to plug holes and make a legitimate run at a Super Bowl in 2018.

Scenario B is that Taylor continues to be inconsistent (his good is very good, his bad is very bad) and we end up in the 6-10 to 8-8 range, draft a QB (possibly trading up) in the first round, and either bring Taylor back for a year while the rookie learns the ropes or cut bait and roll with Rook and Peterman in 2019. New staff gets their QB, sells tickets and excitement, and Super Bowl talk is put off until 2019.

I think A is the more likely of the two, but regardless I feel pretty strongly after Sunday's game that the team and staff have a direction. It was just one game, but it seemed like an important one to me. $.02

Weird. We largely agree.

I'm a little surprised you think A is more likely.

I just don't know. I think with Taylor everything is more about consistency at this point than drastically improving. I really want to see Week 1 & 3 Taylor most of the rest of the season. If we see that Taylor, I think that's the type of QB McDermott would love to move forward with.

I'm just not utterly confident that's what we see and other than my fun little thread leading into the Denver game, I try to avoid predictions... partly because I'm sports superstitious.

But our stockpile of draft picks are pretty sweet for 2018, that's for sure.

EDIT: I realized after the fact that you might not believe what you just posted here because of the bet, but I do think those are essentially the two scenarios, though I think Taylor needs to be pretty good and consistent to not draft a guy in round 1.

Dude, that's a minimum of 29 potential regular season games Taylor might have played in between now and the end of 2018. Yeah, that's a big "might" but a lot can happen between now and then for Taylor, especially if he plays more consistently like he did Sunday.

Time will tell. Constant improvement is a must.

Why are people so obsessed with 30 passes a game and 300 yards???

Notice that our offensive philosophy (yet again) doesn't seem pass-centric. I realize some are immediately going to point to that as proof that the staff doesn't trust Taylor to throw, but if Taylor's playing like he did Sunday and vs the Jets who cares how many times he passes if we're winning?

So if the Bills take a lead into the fourth quarter and the coaches decide to stop trying to pass (like yesterday and against the Jets) and Tyrod finishes with 2 TDs, over 200 yards, zero turnovers, and a completion percentage over 75% then it's still not good enough because he didn't throw at least 30 passes?

Exactly. The same thing happened vs the Jets. It's baffling. Edited by transplantbillsfan

I know a lot of people think that Tyrod is incosistent . I actually kind of think the opposite. I don't think that his highs are really high and his lows are really low. You aren't going to see a lot of games where he has like 4 TDs or 3 turnovers. That's why I've called him "Alex Smith" or a game manager. He is good enough to win with but you rarely win or lose because of him. He's just kind of there. That's not meant as an insult or a compliment. He's a solid, game manager with playmaking ability. He misses some throws but everyone does. I think of consistency as you never know which guy you will get (think Fitz).

Edited by Kirby Jackson