I'm Surprised by Zay Jones' Slow Start

26CornerBlitz

Last week he was right there to having a big game. If Buffalo is going beat Cinncy he needs to be the guy that steps up and makes the plays. I have faith that he will. Maybe Matthews going down is the best thing for him. If he gets his confidence up this week after the bye with Matthews back they may have a decent passing attack on the outside.

What have you seen thus far to give you such a belief?

Good question. I was at the game last week and when Zay made a catch all the Bills fans around me cheered the same way you do for a kicker that misses 3 FG's and finally makes an extra point. But I said at the time that I felt like something clicked in him, like he and Tyrod are starting to get on the same page. That coupled with the feeling he will step up when needed the most, leads me to believe he will make a positive statement this week. Edited by buffaloboyinATL

He's a rookie WR on the most unfriendly passing team in the NFL. I was expecting a slow start.

You were expecting the son of a former NFL star who caught 150 passes last year and more passes than anyone in NCAA history during his college career to be dropping passes on his hands, panic-jumping at balls and running poor routes?

You were expecting the son of a former NFL star who caught 150 passes last year and more passes than anyone in NCAA history during his college career to be dropping passes on his hands, panic-jumping at balls and running poor routes?

Ahem...158 passes.

What they need to do is get him some easy touches early to build his confidences back up. Like some WR screens & quick slant's.

The problem is that they really can't afford to sacrifice any downs/drives to build the confidence of a guy who isn't going to make big plays..........contrary to popular belief they don't have a suffocating defense........the name of the game is limiting the amount of possessions that their defense has to be on the field and executing MISTAKE FREE drives on offense.

Last week they directed a couple throws to Drop Zone Jones on their second to last drive of the first half.........he dropped a beautifully thrown long pass on 3rd down that quite probably allows them to either run the first half clock out or even potentially score AGAIN before the half........and the energized Falcons immediately marched right down the field and scored a touchdown. It was body blow to the Bills and a boost to the Falcons..........momentum matters a lot when playing Jauron Ball.

The problem is that they really can't afford to sacrifice any downs/drives to build the confidence of a guy who isn't going to make big plays..........contrary to popular belief they don't have a suffocating defense........the name of the game is limiting the amount of possessions that their defense has to be on the field and executing MISTAKE FREE drives on offense.

Last week they directed a couple throws to Drop Zone Jones on their second to last drive of the first half.........he dropped a beautifully thrown long pass on 3rd down that quite probably allows them to either run the first half clock out or even potentially score AGAIN before the half........and the energized Falcons immediately marched right down the field and scored a touchdown. It was body blow to the Bills and a boost to the Falcons..........momentum matters a lot when playing Jauron Ball.

I agree with you 💯% but now he's our number one till Matthews gets back so we have to try and get him involved early.